Dev Blog 23rd February - Space Station 14

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 23, 2017.

1. We’ve got a few pieces of news for you today. First off, we’ll be pushing a (very small) 1.2.3 hotfix update to the stable app. This update fixes a rare bug that caused a few players to have very low framerate with the “Multiplayer via Steam Friends” option enabled. For most players this should make no difference.

Secondly, we have a bit more space content to show off! We’ve been reading all of your comments on our past few blog posts and it’s great to see that you’re as excited as we are about the coming changes to travel and the new navigation interface. Several of you were speculating about the space stations visible in the system view, so here’s a little peek at what they look like in person:

[​IMG]

These stations will be good places to rest and resupply, find special merchants, and will be a key part of some other new features we’ll be showing off soon...

Lastly, we’ve been working with Gaya Entertainment on some real cool Starbound merchandise, all of which is available in the Chucklefish Shop & Game-Legends! We’ve got some new shirts, a keychain and even a hat, so go check them out!

[​IMG]

Spanksalot, Dragonclaw, Arra and 25 others like this.
  2. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

This new update is looking more and more hype with each snippet

PaxCallow likes this.
  3. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Haha, finally more "space" in Starbound! I can't wait to see this in action with the new navigation system!
    Cheers to you, friends! May the update be soon. (For I cannot wait. X3)

(I want that Big Ape shirt...)

Sylxeria likes this.
  4. @ndy

@ndy Subatomic Cosmonaut

We´re eagerly awaiting unstable....

5. Tonko

Tonko Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hey there! Those are great news!

Any chances that the merchandise is avaible on Argentina someday?

EDIT: Seems like there is a shipment option for Argentina, but the shipping cost is pretty expensive...

6. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

O_O
    ded...
    I cannot wait to see what becomes of this. Anyone else want to see a dynamic faction/economy thing like in Endless skies/SC?

7. Corverean

Corverean Subatomic Cosmonaut

Will we be able to build our own space stations? Will we be able to expand ships? Other than those two questions, this greatly excites me to the point of no return.
    Edit #1: Also, if we CAN build space stations, will we be able to move them?

8. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I like those tiles. I'mma use them.

9. Supernorn

Supernorn Starbound Artist and Parallax Pixel Pusher Chucklefish

That blog post title. Niceee!

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I like the solid blue blocks. Always wanted something metal-y without all the lines and squares all over the place.

11. _Sneeky_

_Sneeky_ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This next update will make things more interesting indeed...

12. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

It might be fun to rebuild/reuse the abandoned stations for things, plus it looks like some the the old bunker items might be coming back along with new stuff.

As for the Starbound merchandise, I think you could have another thing related to the Apex that goes with the abandoned labs (I have a tendency to cross reference them with the Portal games and end up calling the structures "Ape-eture Labs").

13. Lord Humungus

Lord Humungus Big Damn Hero

Terraria combined with Star Control 2/the ur-quan masters isn't something I thought was possible but it sounds VIP QUALITY.

14. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

Peh...Merchandise you say? Come talk to me when you make real life Poptop plushies. THEN I'd be interested. =P It's actually quite bizarre that you haven't made them to be honest. You have them in the game itself even.

15. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

I want to destroy the station like the Death Star. )

16. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

One thing I wanna say is that I'm really stoked at how GOOD you all have gotten at making settings with the tilesets. The designs are way more imaginative than the earlier builds and the tile choices are great (I really dig the "vents" made from the platforms embedded in the wall). Just seeing things like the revamped Avian Airship was nice, but this screenshot is a whole other level.

Man I hope we get to play with all those new tiles and new decor in vanilla. I miss the Lunar Base platforms... not found any in-game yet and I'm loathe to admin items in if they're not supposed to be in the game. (I know. Just let me have this.)

17. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

YESSS!!!! i have been so done with the ruin for a long time now, just don't blow it up like many devs don with places players get tired off.
    also i actually like that cap a lot. i'm considering buying it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  18. ComatosePhoenix

ComatosePhoenix Phantasmal Quasar

Space station 14 hype. Clowns and janitors everywhere.

Yarott likes this.
  19. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

Hey, question about the space station(s) is each space station going to be different, like a different layout, merchants, color, design, etc. or will they all look the same. In fact, will A space station (if it were a social space like the outpost) be persistent like the outpost as all roads lead to it.

UPDATE: I'd imagine it would be persistent since i see the space station show is using non-block parts due to the shape..........unless of course i'm missing a detail somewhere

20. Astrih Konnash

Astrih Konnash Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Whoa! Nice to see a new update!
    And the keyring is neat! Want it!!