Elevators

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by Skippy3, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Skippy3

Skippy3 Pangalactic Porcupine

2. aljam

aljam Cosmic Narwhal

Having elevators in game is an awesome idea. I could just imagine using them metroid style.

3. Koalasonfire

Koalasonfire 2.7182818284590...

I hope so. That or teleporters.
    But it would be awesome to mine to the core of a planet and build an elevator leading to your deep mine.

4. Zeklo

Zeklo Heliosphere

A super advanced technology themed game and you only ask for elevators!?!? :rofl: Yeah it would be nice.

5. Bart said it is "too hard to add". Still a futuristic game where the vertical transportation is limited to Stairs... Isn't really a futuristic game.

If elevators aren't possible, then add teleporters that can take to to several floors of a building, like Entropia does:
    [​IMG]

Something like that. :lolwut:

toby109tt, STCW262, slwc141 and 5 others like this.
  6. Digs

Digs Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like the idea of linked teleport pads. Even better if you can give them all some sort of unique "address" and beam freely from any pad to any other on the same planet, then you could have secret well-hidden rooms.

Imagine a room buried in total darkness with lights on a switch, so when they're off the whole room is invisible.

7. TheTimeLord

TheTimeLord Existential Complex

How would elevators be hard? It would be moving platform, which also isn't hard. If they can't do it, at least make a teleporter.

8. Mercury Gilado

Mercury Gilado Existential Complex

It shouldn't be that hard, should it? I mean, I guess making it look good while keeping the collision detection in order would be challenging, but I've played plenty of platformers (say that three times) to know that it works out in 2D.

9. Canopus

Canopus Zero Gravity Genie

Apex won't have elevators. So...guess what race I won't play :p

10. Mercury Gilado

Mercury Gilado Existential Complex

With elevators?

WoxandWarf, SmoothGuy, Duke and 5 others like this.
  11. Mukin

Mukin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i hope in this feature

12. GinNexus

GinNexus Gotta Catch 'em All! Mk.2

Space elevator to orbiting space station... that would be neat.

13. Chaftix

Chaftix Void-Bound Voyager

We need this!

14. Nyxeiris

Nyxeiris Aquatic Astronaut

Maybe do something similar to how Gunpoint did it.

Being able to put down a "background door" that you can stand infront (or just go past for that matter) and by pressing W or S it takes you up or down respectively.

That way there won't be any platforms that move up and down in the foreground that you can hinder (with blocks or yourself), since the elevator moves in the background, free of any obstacles.

Of course the elevator doors need to be right above eachother to be connected, or colour coded/wired if you'd really want diagonal elevators xD

Same with teleporters for instant travel a certain distance.

How hard or easy this might be to implement I can't say, I know very little about programming, but I imagine it's better for it to exist in the background layer than the foreground layer with all the building blocks and players.

15. Testare

Testare Orbital Explorer

Now this probably is tooting my own horn, or something to that effect, but the conversation on this thread inspired me to post an alternative to elevators as Cable cars/rail cars.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/cable-cars.24555/

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm try to steal your thunder, but I think this is a relevant alternative if the devs won't do elevators. I think it solved most of the programming issues related to elevators, since the probable cause of elevators being hard to program is that players would expect to be able to move freely on and off of elevators. I could be wrong here though. You could modify the suggestion here to include the possibility of treating elevators as vehicles that can only move up and down or something like that.

I dunno, if you want to I can take this post down, or remove the link.

I also like Nyxeiris' suggestion. The only 2 problems I can think of, like with wire in Terraria, it gets a little glitchy when the wire connects to unloaded chunks. The other problem would be that the elevator would have to be checked if it is directly below/above another elevator door. The first one is also a problem with other teleporters.

Saltylanguage likes this.
  16. V M Smith

V M Smith Phantasmal Quasar

I wonder if grav-lifts would be easier for some reason.

17. Joshua Williams

Joshua Williams Void-Bound Voyager

I may not be a tech guru or super well, or even at all, learned in the arts of programming something like this, but wouldn't having the doors close on an elevator and you loose sight of your character (effectively removing him from play) and then reopening on the next floor up, wouldnt that help with the collision detection problem, and also you could have it sealed off like modern elevators so that if the car is not on your floor the doors are closed so no bumping into a moving car.

Also button or maybe a small interface to select the desired floor as well as floor (or rather desired stopping points as desired but the builder but set within a certain distance from the existing ones). You could also make the shaft enter-able but make the pinch points kill points, like if a dumb person actually got stuck in between them in real life ^.^

You could also add secret rooms in elevator shafts in dungeons and towns or what ever but I think there is some potential here.

Hope you like it.

Duke likes this.
  18. MrHiggle

MrHiggle Existential Complex

Stairbound.

Esahc_, STCW262, Jerln and 27 others like this.
  19. Testare

Testare Orbital Explorer

Yes, that would remove worry about the player collision detection.However, I think a big idea here is that your elevators aren't limited in how high/low they can go, and when that spans unloaded chunks are involved, you don't know if you have a clear shaft, or which doors are connected, etc. And in games like starbound, you can place a block in the middle of the shaft, and suddenly the elevator is blocked.

If you didn't worry about actually having a shaft between the two entrances, then you have to deal with the game having to rapidly change the player's position, and thus the loaded chunks. Like in the early teleportation video Tiyuri released, the player would likely see chunks being rendered. This can be fixed though by long transition animations potentially.

I think the type of elevators the devs thought were too difficult were the vertically moving platforms. Because other than chunk loading issues, or constraints the devs might want for the elevator, there aren't really any reason this shouldn't be possible to code.

Of course, they might not like the instant transportation for game balance reasons. Like having a getaway car to heal while the boss tries to chase you down.

20. Ewan

Ewan Orbital Explorer

Yes, we want this! A good way, as it was said before, Put elevators in the background that way you avoid that "collision" and physics problem.

Any way good work guys, you done great job so far, and if it turns out elevators wont make it to the game i will turn to using some sort of jet pack and fly up/down the tunnels ill make, the same unfortunate fate i had to resort to in Terraria.