20th July Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Supagriff

Supagriff Astral Cartographer

Thanks Omni!! And Bart!! Keep it up!

2. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

22nd! Now I can look forward to making Parkour Maps spanning Asteroids in space using the awesome grappling hook physics and reentry animation.

3. SeyernWindsor

SeyernWindsor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks for the update =)

4. Inco

Inco Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Because just dying on impact wasn't good enough, we have to do it with style.

[edit] Has anyone noticed how they introduce features that are likely to kill, then introduce additional features that make it more gruesome? Next step: space piranha.

5. Ryzin

Ryzin Seal Broken

Cool stuff, it would be nice to also add some sound effects on top of being on fire during reentry.

Queritass and Axe Garian like this.
  6. Khombhat

Khombhat Master Chief

I love seeing the little details get so much loving attention. Those are the things that really keep people immersed in a gaming experience.

On the subject of fall damage, I am hoping that gravity strength will also be a random variable. Maybe there will even be planets with super strong gravity making jumping impractical and making equipment related to mobility a must and maybe it would even add a light glazing of Metroid-vania in SOME instances. I'm not much for anything being over done.

As for re-entry burns: Yes. Yes. YES!

7. Delimar

Delimar Star Wrangler

So much for random project weekends. You guys went above and beyond and worked on the game play the entire time. Should start calling weekends "Polishing Weekends."

Re-entry burning sounds like fun. I could imagine myself testing that, if it makes it to the game of course.

tassina and Axe Garian like this.
  8. Event Horizon

Event Horizon Big Damn Hero

Nah, that's boring. Most games have that. BUT, do other games make you vaporize before hitting the ground? I THINK NOT.

9. There probably are already and if not then they will add them :p
    Besides, that feature might end up not being in game as Omni said.

Axe Garian, Toryu-Mau and CubeX like this.
  10. Yup, the gravity on the planets is random, your dreams just came true :)

11. CubeX

CubeX Void-Bound Voyager

I love the flaming thing. You should be able to handle it if you have high tier armor on!

12. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

bouncing after you fall on a monster, like, touch damage/knockback, or like, jump on his head to kill? :rainbow:

Axe Garian and Menasor like this.
  13. StallChaser

StallChaser Space Penguin Leader

Still not enough. A hard enough impact should make a blast shockwave that causes damage to everything in a radius. Especially if you're carrying bombs. Maybe even do a sarlacc-like boss where you have to guide your falls to land on weak parts.

Everyone says I'm a bit crazy for some reason...

Chadpole likes this.
  14. Ammonite

Ammonite Space Penguin Leader

Lots of love to all the developers who work day and night to make this possible to us! No seriously, they just want to play play it themselves.
    Also i demand that falling on a monster decreases the fall damage you take.
    (Why did you change your avatar mr.entity?)

15. LFPO8k

LFPO8k Subatomic Cosmonaut

just what I thought: this happening on a hellevator

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. SpaceKGreen

SpaceKGreen Existential Complex

Flaming atmospheric reentry falling? ALL OF MY YES.

If it were combined with actual craters upon cratering...

i would so join a clan that used that as a planetary siege tactic

17. Kaligo

Kaligo Void-Bound Voyager

If flames upon re-entering the atmosphere of a planet were to be implemented, I think it would be best for the player to burn up unless they are properly equipped to handle such temperatures. Also, it would be nice if, after a certain speed has been attained, colliding into objects would leave dents or craters in them, and in the case of living beings, dealing damage. Such as, for instance, falling on a monster, as suggested in the very post being commented on. It would certainly be hilarious to squash a monster beneath one's feet before submitting to one's own blood-splattering fate, and I think that in such a case it would be best for the damage to apply to both entities, as both are being affected by this fall. Perhaps to negate this effect, shock absorbent gear could be added as well? Though I am not quite certain how the actual physics behind such things work, it would be helpful in exploring areas with ravines and other such deadly falls.

18. Killera

Killera Phantasmal Quasar

Wi send yuh di love fram all a wi (Jamaicanize) (We send you the love from all of us)
    Kip up di good wuk (Keep up the good work)

I like this jamaicanizing words. It's so much fun wohooooo. Mon

19. Nedox

Nedox Void-Bound Voyager

You won't die if you land in water, right? :3 Vidya game fizziks.

20. Killera

Killera Phantasmal Quasar

actually you should die from impact. You see in real physics water is not as gooey as everybody thinks. Entering the water is an art. If you fall from a very high place, your speed and mass will make sure that you DIE from the impact with water cause it's harder than concrete if you land on it with enough impact

But then again we should assume that our characters are excellent divers and thus they must not take any falling damage from entering the water :p