2018 release for Multiplayer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pyrofish, Aug 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pyrofish

Pyrofish Starship Captain

This is insane. Since it said it will release in early 2018, that will be almost two years of waiting for Multiplayer.
    Like, I like the game as much as the next guy, but come on. This has already been an insanely long wait, but two years? Mental.

• CjBeats

CjBeats Weight of the Sky

The article did read that they have changed like 15,000 lines of code or something, and they still have some pretty major elements to implement, so just give them time, I'd rather wait for quality then get it early and not be as good.

• Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

Considering the game was not built to have MP in the first place no it's not insane at all

• Pyrofish

Since Multiplayer was being worked on since before the game came out, yes, it is.
          You can still manage quality in a somewhat timely manner.

• Grave Knight

Grave Knight Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh, are you that knowledgeable about game design that you know all the ends and outs of how to implement this kind of system WHILE also adding in new content AND fixing bugs AND implementing balance changes? They practically had to rewrite the entire game from scratch just to add the one feature that you make seem can be done in a month.

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

All good things come with time. You will just need to be patient.

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

I cannot wait! Eric took his time polishing this before release and we were delivered a wonderful masterpiece of gaming! I am MORE than willing to wait for the polished Multiplayer mechanics. I am super stoked!

Jerev and sunlite like this.
                • Pyrofish

I've been patient for 2 years.
                  It's a little ridiculous.

But this kind of asskissing doesn't exactly work. ConcernedApe isn't doing the multiplayer. Chucklefish is.
                  It's possible to release a polished product in less than two years. You have a team working on this, this is insane.

Chucklefish has a bad record, this is known with Starbound. I was worried about this game being published through them, and look what has happened. Hell, I'm more liable to believe ConcernedApe alone could of done it faster than Chucklefish has.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2017
                  • Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Alright well I'm just trying to be a little happy. But here's the thing, how about you just chill the hell out. Just because you're mad the multiplayer isn't EXACTLY done at the EXACT time you want it, doesn't mean you have to be an ass to everyone. Who am I ass kissing!? Eric did a good job. And regardless if he is doing it or now, surprised if he wasn't involved in some way, I am excited. So how about you take your negativity and find another game to play if you're so damn pissed at the release. Because it looks like you don't quite understand how games work. You don't understand the programming aspect, the broken promises that have been made on other games, which I'm sure they are trying to avoid. I would like to stand around these forums all day arguing with you, but I have probably ten trillion more important things to do. The least of which is hearing you bitch and moan about this multiplayer. Gotta love people finding a reason to complain, eh?

• Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

Can you guys please cool down a bit? You don't need to insult people! This has always been a nice community and I and most probably a lot of others want to stay it that way. So please stop it.

There is a way to express disappointment and also companion with the developers in a civil way.

• Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

And now we all calm down. :nurushock: There is no need to insult each other because all this can be discussed in a civil way. :nuruhappy:

2 years for adding multiplayer to a singleplayer only game is pretty fast in this case because everything needs to be synced between all players who play with each other. It is also not just the pc version which need to be adjusted afaik so there are even more changes that need to be done. :nuruhappy:

Regards
                        Iris Blanche

• Pyrofish

You're putting words in my mouth, and overreacting severely. I never said an exact date, or anything of the sort. I only said it's been a long time, and it's ridiculous. 2 years is mental.
                          This is quite pathetic, man. You're lashing out immensely for someone having a different opinion. I hope, since it's been some time, you've calmed down. There is no reason to get this upset.
                          That's cool, you like the game. I'm able to like the game, and disagree with some actions. I disagree with a couple of ConcernedApe's actions, actually, but I'm able to enjoy the game, and we're capable of discussing it civilly. Please, continue in the conversation once you feel capable of civil, decent discussion.

It was more than 2 years.
                          Infact, he first mentioned Multiplayer on his blog in the post "Mini Dev Update #6", back in 2013. That's 4 years, and some months.
                          http://stardewvalley.net/mini-dev-update-6/
                          Didn't say start, said finish, so we can assume he was already working on it. Yes, he would be working on other things at the same time, but since he did everything in the game himself, he was clearly capable of multitasking, and doing them well, considering the release product.

I should mention, he didn't jump into this dark. He didn't jump into doing multiplayer with no knowledge.

Right here, at the 11 minute mark, he talks about an online multiplayer bomberman game he was making, with support for up to 20 people on one server. He wanted more, thousands, but because of how he made it, it'd only really work with 20. The game was too fast paced for much more.
                          But either way, he has practice with coding online multiplayer. So he's not completely in the dark, he has an idea what he's doing, so it certainly shouldn't take this long.

I should also add he was clearly confident in what he had made, with multiplayer, at some point.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120924...nity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93285018
                          When he first made the Greenlight listing, it said on the bottom
                          Additions I'm still considering (or could be added to future versions of the game after release):
                          [*]Co-op mode <-- (Really want to, it's sounds so fun. Probably a future update after single player release.)

But, 9 months later, he updated the page.
                          http://web.archive.org/web/20130702...nity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93285018
                          The first line was changed to say "Stardew Valley is an open-ended country-life RPG with support for up to 4-player co-op!"
                          And the line at the bottom was removed.
                          Plus, four months before he updated the page to say this, he uploaded this

Also, back in Dev Update #20, on September 9th, 2014, he said in a blog post he needed to finalize multiplayer. Finalize is a pretty big word to use if it's not done or complete. The next year, on November 7th, 2015, he thought he'd finish Multiplayer by December. And then, in December, it now needs more.
                          So what happened to all the progress? What made him think it needed more, after being confident in it in the past?

Woops. I dislike the notification system here, didn't even see that this post was added, sorry for the late reply.

It's a very, very poor argument to rely on "gee you must know everything"
                          Yes, that would be called video game making. It's a large part of game development. It's somewhat expected.

I wouldn't say a month, but since it's been worked on for around four years, a little more than four years, I think I'm reasonable in saying it's been quite a bloody while.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2017
                            MaGicBush likes this.
                          • Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Please keep in mind that double and/or triple posts in such a short time are frowned upon the forum rules.

Maybe the old multiplayer system was too bugged or not capable to handle everything. Every event needs to be synced, every step which is made by any entity needs to be synced, every tick in the game needs to be synced. So you have basically at least one packet sending and one packet receiving class. Depending on the role (server/client) there are different things to do. The server (in this case we could also say the host of the session) is sending all the data to the clients (the people you play with) and these all must be synchronised. So e.g. the cow moves 3 steps to the left it has to be done at the same time for the other clients. Player movement, tool usage, npc movement, events, time, weather all these things needs to be synced. Especially events are a tricky one. At least they found a good solution by having the host deciding the start and the end of a festival or making decisions. Also every event or situation needs to be tested.

Even if you know the basics about multiplayer it is just the basics. Every software needs it's own implementation of server and client structure. Also when it is multiplatform the needed functions for network stuff may vary. You also need to handle somehow packet loss, connection timeouts and stuff. 2 player co-op and 4 player co-op also is different in the implementation. With 2 players you have 1 server and 1 client so you don't need the client synchronisation between the clients. With 4 players it is different. Every client is it's own "server" at least for his own player. Movement, clothes, appearance, tool usage etc need to be synced.

Also when you add this whole stuff to a singleplayer sourcecode you have to make sure that singleplayer works afterwards like it did before. Then we have the performance aspect too. All this isn't done in a short amount of time though.

Regards
                            Iris Blanche

nevyn21 and sunlite like this.
                            • Pyrofish

Sorry, gotta get used to this site.
                              If it wasn't capable, or too buggy, he really should of said that, especially since he made it sound like it was getting close, said it was done on steam, and showed it working.
                              I understand it's tricky, but communication needs to exist.
                              Yes, I understand this. He has experience, he did make a megaman-esque game capable of 20 people.
                              I understand, it's difficult, and takes time. 2 years is a lot, 4 is mental.
                              I expected it to take a while. But two years after release, and four years of development from when first mentioned, with these vague descriptions and not telling us what is up, it's silly.

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

How long did it take you to make your multiplayer, multiplatform game? Just curious.

• Pyrofish

This is a terrible argument. Am I not allowed to disagree if I haven't done it?

How long did it take you to be me? Just curious.

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

Not nearly as long as it took me to be that dude over there.

What disagreement do you have exactly? Saying 4 years to put out a game is too long isn't a disagreement, it's a complaint. If you want me to make an argument though I'd be happy to actually do that.

I'd begin by comparing the developement time of A, AA and AAA titles as well as indy titles. Just for fun I'd average all of that time by the number of titles I counted. After I acquired that data I'd run a similar comparison of development times vs. gross sales numbers and compare that to SDV's sales vs development time just to see where it clocked in. That would be an argument. It would take me a while to assemble that though. How do you feel about spreadsheets?

• Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

Since before the game came out? Are you even serious right now?

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

My understanding is that CA worked on it a bit in beta but dropped it as a planned feature. There are several such features worked on and then dropped. Such is the developement cycle.

Iris Blanche likes this.
                                        • Pyrofish

Have you read the dev updates, or greenlight page, or any of the things I linked?
                                          It was never dropped? He made it clear through updates it was being worked on. Please read my full post. I named blog posts, and dates.
                                          I'll avoid trying to say any discussion from you is invalid, like you tried to do to me.

How the entire thing was handled, of course.
                                          How are sales numbers related? It was planned and being worked on far before any sales. You're not trying to say it's been delayed because of sales, are you?

Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.