Dev Blog 1st November - A Whole New World

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Hey everyone!

The next Starbound update is gearing up to be an exciting one, we think. In particular, we're excited to finally have implemented a feature that's been requested for a long time: terraforming!

In other words, the ability to transform a planet's main biome into a biome of your choosing.

[​IMG]

You'll be able to accomplish this by obtaining a terraformer and setting it down on a planet's surface. By fueling the terraformer, you'll be able to expand the terraformed area outward, eventually changing the planet's main biome!

Lots of other cool stuff in the works for Starbound 1.2, and I look forward to revealing more as we get closer to finishing it. 'Til next time!

<3

Attached Files:

2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Oh dear. This is gonna be fun.

3. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Oh my... That is quite a feature. wonder though if will have same tier level that was originally there; after the terraforming that is... But regardless, it is nice to see this finally coming about in some form. :nuruhappy:

Axe Garian likes this.
  4. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I have to ask though, since it's not shown in the gif, what about the background?

5. AmazonValkyrie

AmazonValkyrie Spaceman Spiff

OH wow, I'm super excited! This is definitely a step in the right direction ^_^ Now I'm just hoping you all implement the ability to color objects with the paint tool! *nudge nudge* :p Keep up the good work!

Axe Garian and Lodish like this.
  6. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

That's a good question. If you terraform a planet from lava to garden, will a colony you build there get lava-level rewards? Will it still be bombarded by meteors?

Can we change the weather? Turn off meteors and turn on glowing rain?

7. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Of course, that's still a thing we're missing, too! I second this!

AmazonValkyrie and Axe Garian like this.
  8. Merek

Merek Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is going to be very helpful for someone who isn't able to find a monster without expending a lot of fuel. I approve!

Axe Garian likes this.
  9. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

This looks promising. :nurushock: Imagine what stupid things i can do on barren planets :nurunaughty:

~ Iris ~

10. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

If it hasn't already, i'd like to request the ability to choose what trees grow, regardless of biome. c:

Axe Garian and AmazonValkyrie like this.
  11. thestalkinghead

thestalkinghead Big Damn Hero

a new fantastic point of view, no one to tell us no, or where to go, or say where only terraforming

12. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

The hype is back on!

Axe Garian likes this.
  13. Megumin

Megumin Guest

*-* now i can make frozen sand planet xD
    (after update of course)

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. Svanire

Svanire Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's neat and all, but when will we see PVP? ;u;

Gurfern and Axe Garian like this.
  15. RamsiC

RamsiC Pangalactic Porcupine

I'd be happy if this eventually lead towards better colonization efforts. Right now colony building is split two ways: either I'm a really good builder and I'm going to spend six hours making this beautiful city only to watch NPC's try to sit on everything while spamming emotions or I can dump them in tiny boxes and have them still pay me lots of money because they don't actually care or have real needs.

Just saying, one of the neatest additions to the game is kind of a flop and could use some rectifying, and this is the perfect means of starting it through terraforming.

16. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

Isn't PVP already implemented as an opt-in console command? I've turned it on in previous versions.

Gurfern and Axe Garian like this.
  17. Lord Humungus

Lord Humungus Big Damn Hero

The same code used for the terraforming couls possibly be used to create new events, specifically ones involving biomes becoming corrupted and replaced by something else. Now we just need some bright modder to bring in the corruption/crimson/hallow into starbound.

18. DemonMiner25

DemonMiner25 Master Chief

I would love this if I had a gaming computer and not a crappy laptop to play starbound on. I would love if you could please get atleast the game preview for Xbox out. UI shouldn't take too long to work out for controllers. And the menu and stuff can just be copied from the computer version. Please get it out soon. It's up to the players to find bugs so you can fix them. We can help you do your job but only if you let us.

19. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

oooo that reminds me... now there will be a reason for myself to use a barren planet without having to use a mod or something... :nurutease:

Astrih Konnash and Axe Garian like this.
  20. Psygnosis

Psygnosis Ketchup Robot

Hell yeah finally !!!

Hope we are able to modify the weather and set rain type ( or such, like snow, ash, etc etc )

Axe Garian likes this.