19th July Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jul 20, 2013.

1. riseoflegends

riseoflegends Subatomic Cosmonaut

Would it be possible to have more than just asteroids up there?

One thing that might be cool would be for planets that have advanced civilizations on them to also have space junk in orbit kind of like the Earth does. Things like derelict satellites, spent rocket stages, random bits of machinery that we can salvage, or even old abandoned ships. The sky's the limit. :D

OldNESJunkie likes this.
  2. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

Yeah, it'd be cool for civilised planets to have space junk, even abandoned ones!

riseoflegends likes this.
  3. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

They're way more likely to, yeah, though really any body large enough to have other things orbiting it can have rings. For a variety of astronomical reasons interesting to a probably very small percentage of people, so...

4. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

you have to consider it though, like doesn't starbound exist in a grid? i mean it would blow my mind and actually confuse me if it didn't.
    like if there was a grid, how would you do this? do things snap together like floating lego? that sounds kind of insane

5. Toryu-Mau

Toryu-Mau 2.7182818284590...

Yup, a space game wouldn't be complete without a Space Walk.
    Would be awesome to setup Lab up there!
    Maybe even alloys that require Zero G to synthesize!:idea:

OldNESJunkie and Inco like this.
  6. Titanium

i think ancient, cryptic, "mythic" abandoned space junk with a lot of mystery and rustic uniqueness would be amongst the coolest stuff ever

ThatMadCat and riseoflegends like this.
  7. Anenfairy

Anenfairy Void-Bound Voyager

Looks really good! I'm excited! for some reason that reminded me of metroid though :D I will make a Metroid world I think lol

8. Connorses

Connorses Big Damn Hero

I think it would be interesting to have asteroids that actually are orbiting the planet, asteroid belts are DANGEROUS; naturally, if you wanted to build a space elevator, you would do it on a planet without a maelstrom of rocks above it. c:

WhiteMousse likes this.
  9. Titanium

OR you could build a sort of insanely high-tech grav deflector or laser shield to protect it from the bullet-speed pebbles in orbit

10. Siveria

Siveria Big Damn Hero

Only a few issues with this 1: With the gravity shouldn't it be technacally impossible to just walk out into space from a plents surfiace? and 2, wouldn't re-entriy most likely turn you into ashes due to the friction? I dunno about this feature, it seems overly silly, you should need to use some sort of vechicle to get into space like that, then you should be able to walk a bit while teathered to it. Just being able to jump/fly into space without a proper craft seems a little.. well.. stupid to me. Its the only feature so far in starbound I have reacted negativly too. It just seems a little too far out there.

11. Mukin

Mukin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

is the time to insert small shuttles to reaching the atmosphere external side, this is a great update nice job dev

12. swedgethigh

swedgethigh Void-Bound Voyager

13. Karth

Karth Pangalactic Porcupine

Eh. I probably won't bother with asteroids unless there's rare materials up there. Nevertheless many people seem to be happy with it, which is cool with me.

Nice work guys :)

14. Titanium

It's not overly silly, and it's also a work in progress!
    I may sound like a mindless drone quick to defend the team, but this kind of made me upset and panicky.
    I hope someone explains the point of view I have better than me.

NFossil likes this.
  15. Sethusk

Sethusk Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nearly every single thing shown about this game looks so fun!

Lost in Nowhere likes this.
  16. magnus_vir

magnus_vir Aquatic Astronaut

needs more fire from re-entering the atmosphere. everything is better with fire.

17. doguso

doguso Big Damn Hero

I noticed there was a monster in the video. I don't know if that was one of your pets (odd still since it shouldn't be able to breath haha) but I hope the planet's monsters have no way to get up that high (in most cases, maybe some special high-level monsters could fly, that'd be cool only if rare). But maybe that mini-biome could feature special space-faring monsters :3 that'd be awesome!

18. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

1: one step at a time, just some really big stairs, etc. The only problem is most materials aren't strong enough to support their own weight that far up. Yet.
    2: have you seen the video of that guy skydiving from outside Earth's atmosphere? It's doable. (e- although any rings orbiting the planet wouldn't be that close. But... well... videogames.)

19. Siveria

Siveria Big Damn Hero

Oh, its not going to stop me form enjoying the game, as you can see I already pre-ordered it ages ago. It just seems silly that you can just bascally walk into space from the surface.

20. Siveria

Siveria Big Damn Hero

Also yes, I have seen it, but he took a ship/plane up there, he didn't just jump there on his own, thats my point, if you need a vechicle like a small shuttle/rocket to get up to that biome, thats cool, but if you can just stack blocks, or jump/use a jetpack to get out of the atmosphere it just seems way out of place to me.

Connorses likes this.