19th July Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Flourish

Flourish Aquatic Astronaut

Please let us build into the stratosphere. Oh gosh, I want to build up there. Skyscraper's ain't got nothin' on the towers I'll build...

Chadpole likes this.
  2. Krebtron

Krebtron Subatomic Cosmonaut

Favorite update thus far!

3. JellyBlade

JellyBlade Phantasmal Quasar

I know i'm gonna what i'm gonna do.
    Satellites.

Toxic-Ion155, Avatra and Chadpole like this.
  4. irongamer

irongamer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Was really hoping for some reentry burn effects, but your advanced reentry technologies thwarted my hopes!

[Edit]
    Perhaps there will be some effects.

5. carcrasher65

carcrasher65 Pangalactic Porcupine

Soon.... Soon.

[​IMG]

Passarbye, Avatra, Aeon and 6 others like this.
  6. Connorses

Connorses Big Damn Hero

Would there even be significantly less gravity at that height? I mean relatively speaking how much farther are you from the planet's center? The question we should be asking is: what the **** is keeping the asteroids in place?

7. SilencedSouls

SilencedSouls Phantasmal Quasar

STAARRBOUUNNDD!

8. DoomZero

DoomZero Zero Gravity Genie

[00:46] <@Tiy_> one option is, allowing players to actually beam directly from the ship down to asteroids if the planet has an asteroid belt
    [00:48] <DoomZero> Tiy_: I don't think really any planets have asteroid belts, but the closest is Jupiter, with a hundred or so moons. I dunno if you have plans for gas giants yet, but I don't know how feasible it is to have whole belts of asteroids around terrestrial planets
    [00:48] <@Tiy_> DoomZero
    [00:48] <@Tiy_> yay videogames

9. evilbirthdaycake

evilbirthdaycake Void-Bound Voyager

Will all planets have asteroids or just ones with certain conditions?

10. Sgt. Sprocket

Sgt. Sprocket Parsec Taste Tester

lol you know you're tired when...

<Tiy_> ok id better sleep
    <Tiy_> 6am
    ------------------------------------
    <Tiy_> neem wprlomg somce mid day
    <Tiy_> 18 hours
    <Tiy_> oops
    <Tiy_> been working*
    <Tiy_> since*

11. Daxalog

Daxalog Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh boy. An excuse to nerd pole and towerclimb. Its not like I wanted to join a server anyhow. :/

12. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

Planets can have "asteroid belts", they're just usually called rings. Not exactly the same, but.

Gears, Titanium and riseoflegends like this.
  13. HelloKinky

HelloKinky Void-Bound Voyager

Ever think that asteroids, while being a terrain and a source of minerals ect... As a biome would be cool, but what would be even cooler is adding it as a status effect so certain planets have it meaning you cant land or beam down or board your ship without ascending high enough to bypass the obstacles. Giving players and incentive to make space elevators might be cool

14. irongamer

irongamer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Would some player control be too much? Like a meter showing your velocity. You would need to pump your reentry Grav-Well 9.8MS belt a few times to reduce or remove reentry damage. If you don't you burn up or take a lot more damage.

Toryu-Mau likes this.
  15. VeriChip

VeriChip Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe the "asteroids" could be in orbit around the planet... that could add a whole nother dynamic to asteroid mining.

16. braindanger

braindanger Phantasmal Quasar

What do capture software does he use?

17. Glitch1500

Glitch1500 Aquatic Astronaut

The potential! This is awesome Tiy :p

18. DoomZero

DoomZero Zero Gravity Genie

Excellent. This works well.
    Also, it's typically only gas giants that have those.

I knew that, it just didn't occur to me because the phrasing suggested by Tiy was "asteroid belts".
    ... Though, they'd be meteoroids. Not asteroids. Because of the size, I mean.

On the other hand, if that were forced upon me, every time, I would sort of hate it immensely.

19. Kurozaiaku

Kurozaiaku Subatomic Cosmonaut

... You guys are freakin amazing.

Excuse me while I disappear now and start working on plans for an Orbital Elevator.

Kthxbye..!

TottWriter likes this.
  20. Ian

Ian Subatomic Cosmonaut

we should have to have a form of oxygen supply and pressure suit to explore the asteroids too... maybe have 1 or two types of alien creatures on the asteroids alone aswell... or just have a planet or two that has a dungeon in their asteroid belts... idk I like the idea of rare stuff being in these cool sky zones! :p

Toryu-Mau and RomyCat like this.