Waterfalls

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by x6snake6x, Apr 23, 2013.

1. x6snake6x

x6snake6x Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think randomly generated waterfalls would be pretty neat in certain environments.

Sefercil, n1t3n, XZile and 52 others like this.
  2. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Waterfalls in general would be pretty cool.

Or you could have one of those background ones like in Sonic or Mario.

XZile, toby109tt, Manflino and 5 others like this.
  3. Mukin

Mukin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

waterfall is nice idea

toby109tt likes this.
  4. dylanstrategie

dylanstrategie Void-Bound Voyager

Waterfalls could be included as mini-biomes. Just add a cliff somewhere and let water fall down from it

Only problem I could see : Where would the source block be, and how would it react to the player replacing/modifying the landscape around it

Ado, toby109tt, Santosh and 6 others like this.
  5. x6snake6x

Hmm, maybe there could be some kind of workaround ? I haven't given this much thought outside of the basic idea. And honestly, I don't have an answer to that.

6. OmniGeoff

OmniGeoff Weight of the Sky

I think weather would have to be implemented. Rain to refuel higher sources. It seems like a farfetched idea that there is no virtual "source block" It seems like it would be more like a background gimmick to me.

Witex and ZakkNoodle23 like this.
  7. x6snake6x

Could be, even though I was imagining them in the foreground as well. As long as it's nothing too difficult to implement.

8. Taitinator

Taitinator Big Damn Hero

I like it :) Although on different planets, there will be different gravity so some water falls would float down slowly and some gush down extremely fast.

Faira and Thorden like this.
  9. Hik

Hik Space Spelunker

The game should definitely have waterfalls and geysers in it. It would add more depth and better aesthetics.

Sefercil, Savok, Aegir94 and 2 others like this.
  10. Silver86

Silver86 Big Damn Hero

i like it :) simple idea that would make the game prettier :)

11. Rookee

Rookee Big Damn Hero

I have thought about this too. I think there should be underground springs that spawn water continuously from the background. These can supply water for steams and waterfalls.

Info-graphic!

[​IMG]
    (I like playing with GIMP too much)

Background waterfalls would be nice too, though.

TheRexion, Firelucid, Renlou and 4 others like this.
  12. Kroghammer

Kroghammer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Could also use piping blocks, which could look like other rock blocks (terraria had a pipe mod). Then it could actually make a water source flow up the pipe, out to a waterfall and then back down into the water source. Could be used for volcano too.

13. FrozenFlame

FrozenFlame Giant Laser Beams

Yeah since there is water pressure/movement and actual physics (not the particles) it would be alot cooler, cause in games like Terraria or Minecraft, you can swim upwards falling water effortlessly.

14. Celestial Wombat

Celestial Wombat Void-Bound Voyager

Make the biggest waterfall ever.
    Then go over it in a barrel packed with straw!
    :unsure::cautious:o_OD::eek: :chrono::x:zombie::halo:

15. Durg

Durg Orbital Explorer

So many terraria misnomers. No you can't in Terraria, water will push you down.

Otherwise love the idea and I think the under gound spring solves all the problems! Maybe it has a set limit of water it can place after being manipulated by the player? A high number but so that the player doesn't flood his world with it.

16. MrMas35

MrMas35 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

actually I would mainly like it for a background...Not sure about Foreground....They could just be in the way...you would be blocked and stuff.

[​IMG]

Ewok, Redseven, Greymond01 and 2 others like this.
  17. FrozenFlame

FrozenFlame Giant Laser Beams

Yes it would push you down, but if you had the flippers, you can swim up faster than the current can push you down. Same in Minecraft.
    EDIT: Sorry lol, just had to say it. Your misnomer, is also a misnomer xD

18. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

Why not both?
    It would be cool to be able to interact with some waterfalls sure, but having them as backdrops for some of your homes is awesome.

FrozenFlame likes this.
  19. Durg

Durg Orbital Explorer

Damn touche friend

20. Star Mc. Bound

Star Mc. Bound Pangalactic Porcupine

As a waterfall should, countinue to pour water on the blocks and then the water runs of the blocks into the soil.