15th August Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Oddlyinc

Oddlyinc Big Damn Hero

i hope so too... but you cant rush perfection

SuperMann, JoeXz, Core and 3 others like this.
  2. SuperMann

SuperMann Subatomic Cosmonaut

You mean beds aren't meant to be death traps??

Leak, JoeXz, tassina and 1 other person like this.
  3. Toastlord101

Toastlord101 Title Not Found

wooah an early daily update thats as rare as a unicorn.

tassina likes this.
  4. TheJudge

TheJudge Space Penguin Leader

5. XDarkPhoenixX

XDarkPhoenixX Pangalactic Porcupine

Early update :rofl:

6. Stylµs

Stylµs Phantasmal Quasar

That's crap. Some people don't like to micromanage. I know it would piss me off if I was working on a big project and had to keep food in my inventory or stop to warm up every few minutes. On the other hand, I'd love those features during regular play.
    Options are good. Limitations are bad.

Kriminal, Shalderave and tassina like this.
  7. Mishra

Mishra Space Hobo

Man... I sure do hope the beta comes out soon so I can play an incomplete version of this game.... Man, I'm not really sure why I'm not constantly asking for a production release instead.

Developers, did sitting around desiring a beta release of this game make you go any faster yet? I'm just sitting here you know.... I'm not sure of anything else to do, like maybe read a Wikipedia article and learn something. I need to play this game so I have a compelling need to ask you to hurry up. And I'm sure that will actually change your game plan. I do have that kind of power; I'm sure of it.

Gears, Belgoliad and tassina like this.
  8. Foreign Hitchhiker

Foreign Hitchhiker Void-Bound Voyager

speaking of clothings...i was wondering if there will be extra slots for like...underwears and shirts, cuz u know, its hygienic

JoeXz likes this.
  9. Silvestre

Silvestre Pangalactic Porcupine

Sounds like my connection lately, on and off all the time. Still you managed to update, good job, guys :D

10. Tyrindor

Tyrindor Space Kumquat

What's crap about it?

What's crap is that I can be on a server, progressing through a high level cold planet and almost starving to death. Intended mechanics to make certain planets harder. Then someone can join, teleport to me, and start running through the planet like it's nothing. This is why I mentioned if they are set on having these features toggleable, make sure servers are able to force characters to enable them. The ensures on legit, server-side character servers, no one will be able to just skip these mechanics or go to single player, skip them, and then come back.

By the way, I'm talking about survivor mode. I'm sure there will probably be a building mode that won't have these features, if not officially, then a mod.

11. Sir.drake

Sir.drake Cosmic Narwhal

keep up the awesome work tiy:metroid:

12. Stylµs

Stylµs Phantasmal Quasar

Never heard of a creative mode being announced. I do agree about the options being serverside though.
    (Before you changed your post, I meant it's crap to not allow us to play in whatever fashion we desire.)

tassina likes this.
  13. Whygee

Whygee Void-Bound Voyager

You know I was thinking about this (and I am sorry if this was mentioned before, I just don't have as much time as I'd like to browse the forums)...

Considering there is only a limited amount of people who are going to be going at the convention, and considering many of them may not actually be clients/purchasers of Starbound, and that most of us here are both not going and clients who will, for all intents and purposes not have a change to try out that playable demo:
    1- Would it be in any way possible to stream as much of that playable demo as possible so we, your valued customer, could have a shot at seeing more of the product we're all eagerly awaiting; or better yet,
    2- Make that playable demo (no matter how small/insignificant/distant from the final version as it may be) available to us in one form or another? I know I might be asking much, but I'm absolutely certain a fair amount (if not an overwhelming majority) of us here would dearly like to get a shot at it, but just don't have the time/resources/interest in going to that convention.

Basically, I guess you could sum my point up to this: if there is going to be a playable demo, make it available to us (in a similar fashion to how it was done with the OST, I suppose). I guess the only real issue with this would be in finding an effecient mean of authentication (making sure we're not getting freeloaders or w/e), but hey, food for thought.

Lord Hatty and Stylµs like this.
  14. At the very least, the main event with the Yogscast will be streamed and uploaded to YouTube. Molly confirmed that yesterday, and Multiplay mentioned it a while ago. Molly said she'd see about getting videos of the other panels.
    I can't speak for the dev team, but I believe that the build that will be at the festival will be no where near ready for public consumption. It sounds like it'll be a limited version to show off a few things, and the devs will be there to make sure nothing goes wrong. That's a bit harder to have released as there are people who will think that's what the final game will be like and whatnot, and if that version has a bug and is released, the dev team can't be in your living room to say "Yeah, that's not finished yet."

Edit: To quote Molly,

15. Daldingo

Daldingo Void-Bound Voyager

Will your temperature feature be like Don't Starve? Where you have to warm up with a heat source, and clothing just slows the loss of heat? Or will clothes just give you permanent resistance against the negative effects?

JoeXz, Core and tassina like this.
  16. Fireb4llz

Fireb4llz Aquatic Astronaut

If I had to guess, probably the second one. constantly having to warm up by a heat source makes sense in a survival game like Don't Starve, however in a game like Starbound not so much

tassina likes this.
  17. Psyme

Psyme Scruffy Nerf-Herder

We do know there is an admin mode, though I could not tell you if it will be in the final game.

Speaking of server-side things, I think an option for server-side characters would be great.

In Terraria, it was never any fun when someone comes on in full Hallowed when you are half-iron half-silver, then proceeds to break every orb, kill Skeletron, rescue the mechanic and tinkerer before putting the world on hard-mode, all in 45 minutes.

tassina likes this.
  18. I'm not sure if that's a suggestion or just a comment, but that is a thing - server owners can limit servers to only use new characters, which players can download if they want to use them elsewhere:
    (Source: under "Multiplayer" in the Announced Information thread.)

Psyme, tassina and Core like this.
  19. iand785

iand785 Tentacle Wrangler

LoL sleep on cold is a death trap.

20. Lusid

Lusid Pangalactic Porcupine

Sadly no. It would be awesome to be able to play the game, but a plane ticket overseas, hotel and food for the duration, as well as time off for this whole thing just aren't in the budget for some of us. As much as i would like to drop over a grand to have a chance to play starbound for probably 10-20 minutes (as i have no interest in anything else at the event)