Dev Blog 14th March - A Star War

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Look at this fanboy thinking penguins will ever become playable :3

2. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

As much as I love penguins (heck I have a mod centered around them), I highly doubt they'll ever be playable in the base game. We MIGHT see bugfixes related to the mercenaries.. But as a playable vanilla race?... Highly doubtful.

3. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

They'd have to add the ability to restrict players' clothing ;)

ManicRykker likes this.
  4. ManicRykker

Yep.

That would still be useful though..

Honestly, even if they were planning on making them playable, with all the crap they would have to do to get them working perfectly alongside normal races..

It wouldn't even be on the back burner. It would probably be on the back burner's back burner.

5. Mizore

Mizore Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd honestly prefer they take the time to build in framework and the related animation/clothing problems for custom races with non-standard body types (think lamia's) than make another race themselves. Leave things like that to modders until you run out of update ideas.

DraikNova and ManicRykker like this.
  6. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

The Shockhopper MK2 is ready for testing. Bring along a mech of yours and meet me in the space station above the Penguin homeworld.

*Cue fighting in station and in space with Shockhopper MK2*

LyricLyricandmoreLyric and Kawa like this.
  7. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

A mod could be made for the penguins, a'la Avali which also include stuff to hide clothing/armor.

Though, you'd have to make the penguin taller or you'd be getting hit in places you normally shouldn't since the penguins are much shorter. And/or your character LOOKS like they should fit in a 2 block high gap but you'll ram into an invisible barrier.

8. ManicRykker

Actually, the penguins use their own specific collision. Custom humanoid.configs are actually a thing. (The vanilla penguin.species file has em.. in fact, it's what I used to get my mod off the ground)

Though clothing hiding wearables are usually needed.. (I only got armor in for them through a cheap workaround.)

LyricLyricandmoreLyric and Kawa like this.
  9. DinoExplorer2000

DinoExplorer2000 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

10. LyricLyricandmoreLyric

LyricLyricandmoreLyric Phantasmal Quasar

I think the penguins would be eventually playable, i don't expect them to be able to actually wear the normal armor though, i bet the armor will probably only be useful for stats, and when they do become available, it's likely they're only going to have a few cosmetic armors. In short, i don't expect them to compare to the other humanoids, but be only playable to a certain point.

11. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

Yeah. Personally I'd just rather wait for them to actually codes *functional* race specifics wearables rather than to have to constantly work with the work-around of custom vanity items that look broken on any races they're not mean for because the game doesn't have code yet to make real armors that can be worn only by specific alien bodies style forcing people to wear both a "real" armor and a stats-less tailored vanity item just to hide the broken graphics of trying to wear the wrong armor type with the wrong body type.