14th August Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Aug 15, 2013.

1. RynCage

RynCage 3.1415926535897...

Typically I would agree with you, But the problem there is that plenty of other indie devs / small team projects have done a good job in the PR department- and it wasn't because they told me they couldn't accomplish anything today because of X problem.
    bi weekly updates or even monthly ones would be better on the hole, and give you the reader a better sense of actual progress made since the last update was a while ago, and you don't need to scroll through pages and pages of nonsense to see what go accomplished over any length of time. I know they switched over to the daily updates thing to try and add substance after all the preorders, But its really doing the opposite imo.
    Also; regarding "Possibility of the game being canceled/delayed inevitably" and "Almost complete death of the community and interest in the game as it fades into their silence."
    Gross overexaggerations. Regardless of how much they tell you on a daily basis, the game wont be canceled or delayed for an insane length of time. They already said "we'll go ahead and take all your money now" So they are obligated to produce a product, And shoving out a playable anything will only get them more sales so they have no reason not too.
    Death of the community just simply wouldn't happen when you have over 63,000 purchases. People are invested and aren't going to just go away. Maybe the forums would be a bit more quiet with people not posting "great job guys! keep up the good work!" every day, But the "community" would be largely intact and still the same.

and thank you for "I won't go on and on" about how hard making games can be, Since it's all been said a thousand times over by people who they themselves also have no idea.

Not quite a Duke Nukem forever. You have a point, Sure the clock is ticking and if this is all they have, its a bit discouraging. especially with daily updates like "going to such and such expo". But regardless of the games progress, they "say" they are deadest on getting the game out in 2013. And even if what they release is a bare bones sort of experience, it wouldn't be hard to gradually include things into the game on a weekly basis. especially if they "work so hard" on the game daily. Then people can really test their patience by not playing the game while it isn't finished even though they technically could.

2. illwac

illwac Void-Bound Voyager

Those were meant to be exaggerations of the worst case scenarios =) I honestly hadn't considered that you meant more time in between updates and I agree that it would be better than daily.

My exaggeration was based on the notion of complete silence from the devs. Opposite ends of the spectrum(Daily vs none). A little to extreme I agree.

No problem, if I personally no nothing on the subject outside of speculation I try not to pretend to. Its insulting to the process as well as the person you try to preach it to.

I suppose my main point was, all of these negative posts don't have much merit. Granted some of them have valid points and criticisms, but they don't really help the situation or shed light on anything we can actually do about it all. The same could be said about the positive posts as well. The dev's are people, they enjoy praise just like everyone else. It's good for morale. That is why I try to remain positive, while maintaining no expectations. Waiting sucks. Its like someone telling you they bought you an amazing gift but you have to wait until they decide to give it to you. All the while they remind you of how amazing it will be when you finally get it, but there is no hint as to when they will finally deliver. You have to wipe it from your mind.

3. Flight

Flight Orbital Explorer

Note the hand position of the guitarist. Looks like this guy is practicing some tapping!