Dev Blog 13th April - Space Invader

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Original Post

Axe Garian, Hel, Ainzoal and 20 others like this.
  2. Yavor

Yavor Big Damn Hero

Thank You so much for the news on the update! We're all looking forward to explore all of the new content. Wish you all a Happy Easter Holidays, Chucklefish and Community!

3. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

I swear that less than an hour ago, as I played Starbound, I though "It's been a while since the last update post..."

4. Benni0207

Benni0207 Void-Bound Voyager

Can we get a release date as an easter present maybe?

5. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

I wake up this morning to see this on Twitter! Thank you devs!

6. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

May I theoretically let my mecha dual-wield swords, and even guns? Or even giant matter manipulators?

7. JSG6155

JSG6155 Void-Bound Voyager

WHEN!? WHEN DO WE GETS TO DRIVE MECHS

8. Trollolol07

Trollolol07 Aquatic Astronaut

#Xboxarmysupport

9. Godbot

Godbot Big Damn Hero

So that meter decreases over time? I guess it's like a fuel gauge, but it also drops when you get hit. I wonder if it'll replenish over time, or if you have to buy more fuel for it, like your ship?

I guess they're doing it like this so that you can't just fly forever. But if the fuel doesn't refill, or if the recharge time is long, that would also discourage players from walking around in the mech. You'd want to use it as little as possible to conserve your energy.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  10. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I'd imagine that the gauge recharges, and represents the energy the nanites (I assume it uses the normal vehicle mechanism, since it'd be too cumbersome otherwise) use to maintain cohesion. Without sufficient energy, the nanites disperse permanently and become inactive. The nanites then use it both as health and to move.

11. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

Definitely liking this stuff.

It'll be nice running into stuff like that in space. Makes the universe feel all the more organic!

12. Godbot

Godbot Big Damn Hero

So then, its health would recharge over time? I hope that's what they do. Vehicles get damaged so easily, and they're such a hassle to repair, so I never bother using them. It's like the game punishes you for trying to have fun with them.

I do like that you have to monitor your vehicle's durability instead of being too reckless with it, but I'd prefer it if you could repair vehicles in the field, or if their health recovered over time, or something. (I guess I could always carry several spare hoverbikes in my pocket?)

Edit: Oh, what if mechanics could repair your vehicles? Or boost their max health, like they do for your ship's fuel capacity?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Blevruz likes this.
  13. Corverean

Corverean Subatomic Cosmonaut

Mech Cosmetics anyone?

DraikNova likes this.
  14. DinoExplorer2000

DinoExplorer2000 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

the update coming soon?

15. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

Kind of mad after seeing just how much stuff got cut out of the game. I came in late beta. All procgens having special attacks, all the cool weapon variety, all gone. It's bland now. I didn't know any different, but after watching old let's plays of it, I'm just sad now. You took all the early access money, then removed a bunch of stuff. You are aware the developer usually adds stuff after receiving funds, correct?

Noobgalaxies likes this.
  16. KRANOT

KRANOT Big Damn Hero

i am REAAAAAAALLY looking forward to seeing the apex mech. i hope it will look MUCH better than that old abomination a while back.

[​IMG]

this thing never looked like apex tech in my eyes. more like some planecockpit with legs.

17. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

Well they're adding stuff now aren't they?..

I've heard many things about the beta days of Starbound.. And I'm sure there were fun times to be had...

But what's done is done. The beta days are long gone. Perhaps we might see this old content reimplemented in the future? Who knows. (I personally miss some of the old USCM bunker content. Was a bit bummed that it was removed. But ya know what? I got over it.)

No sense dwelling on the past. All it does is stir up trouble that goes nowhere.

Now in attempt to remain on topic:

I wonder if any of those arcade machines will be playable? Like the Mazebound 64 one?

Ainzoal and ☥Neith☥ like this.
  18. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I'd prefer if it worked like augments: you can choose between manually expending some small amount of resources to repair them, or you can sacrifice some utility for not having to worry about that, by having an auto-repairing enhancement.

If these worked like armor cosmetics, I'd be over the moon. Literally, I'll be pyschokinetically advancing spaceflight.

DragonsForce and Hatsya Souji like this.
  19. Knusperkruste

Knusperkruste Subatomic Cosmonaut

yay nice...new news...and the human mech design looks way better than the others so far (in my opinion)..even that i still dont like those stubby legs (hope there are design variants too, like the clawed ones from the original human mech)

just one thing concerns me: you only see them in space...i really hope you can use them on the planets too and maybe you are able to switch to a hover/fly mode to increase speed......

Cen Silver likes this.
  20. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

Bah, a month since the last update and it's nothing really new.

What new stuff I see though; open cockpit in space. Here's hoping we get a huge assortment of clearly smart designs for our mechs. I really want a mech made of junk parts now.