Dev Blog 3rd February - Painted Love

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Hey everyone! Happy Friday!

In our last dev blog, we established that our next update will involve space, and include mechs. I feel like that’s a pretty good start!

Your personal mech will be your primary tool for exploring hostile new space environments. Upgrading and equipping your mech will be key as you take on greater and greater challenges in this new frontier. They’ll have plenty of cosmetic customization options, such as paint colors, so you can conquer the stars in style!

[​IMG]

I wonder what other neat things you’ll be able to do with your new mech?

In other news! Starbound has been nominated for a SXSW Gaming Award in the category ‘Most Fulfilling Community-Funded Game’. If you’ve enjoyed Starbound, it’d be lovely of you to consider voting for us!

[​IMG]

2. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Some times I feel like I just can't run away. Because damn it CF, I just can't get away.

3. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Supernova

Now I'm not going to be able to get up from my computer for a long time. Those mechs look freaking amazing.

4. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

"such as paint colors" so does that mean there's mooooore and other options? Also, I'm interested in this new space gameplay... What all does that entail? Will that change how asteroids areas work? Or is it just specialized dungeons that require the mechs? It'd be cool if it was inserted into the flow and progress of the game. Better then the EEP's I think : \

Edit: ALSO, this is going to be bomb as hell for the Mech Mods out there! I want a blue Pirated Rho :rofl:

5. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

Upgrades, customization, and color schemes

Just what i like on my mechs

6. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Let's be fair here, I'm not going to play Starbound for a while. School is taking away all of my time, and my gaming hours were reduced to less than one per day.

But as of next summer, I'm going to launch my game again. Listen to its music again. Update my mods. Create a new character. And on top of that, discover all the cool new stuff there will be.

I can't wait for that.

Keep up your awesome work Chucklefish, keep amazing us.

:nuruflirt:

7. Captain Rage

Captain Rage Phantasmal Quasar

Exactly my thoughts! Currently I haven't got the hardware or time to play, but damn, these news in the blog are nothing short of amazing. Looking forward toward the summer when I will be able to continue my Starbound playthrough. :D PS. Casting a vote on Chucklefish now! You deserve it!!

Lodish likes this.
  8. maryhl

maryhl Void-Bound Voyager

xaliber likes this.
  9. @ndy

@ndy Subatomic Cosmonaut

i was suprised, but you got both my votes
    Stardew is nominate also in Intellectual Property

that nice... to know , however adding mecha add many possibilities like large scale ore deposits that would by only minable by it
    and that would expand it even further, from small things automated colonies that would be getting you planet specifc things (ores animal frs and so on) or ships upgrades that would cost significant ammout of res instead of upgrades modules or mix of both (am i only one that has trouble finding them?) ,
    to in future far far away, building your own deathstar!
    ok , i get it
    lets just scale it down to your own space station....

10. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

I wonder if they could elaborate on whats exactly is customizable about the mechs.

I mean can we get weapons, tool, weapons and tools?

What kind of weapons and tools can we install? Miniguns? Lasers?, rockets?, drills? Melee weapons?

Can change the arms n legs too? I see the torso is different, but do all the torsos look this way?

When changing color, do we secondary colors, maybe a 3rd color for details like the lights and windows. Could we get a 2nd and 3rd color changing option for the armor we wear too 0.0
    Id love to change my visor color from blue to red :)

xaliber, Kelthazan and DraikNova like this.
  11. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

Space is good.

I would like that to mekh was not located in my pocket but on my ship.

12. Jackie2581

Jackie2581 Title Not Found

would love to have one resemble the old apex/human mechs.

13. @ndy

@ndy Subatomic Cosmonaut

"Upgrading and equipping your mech will be key as you take on greater and greater challenges in this new frontier"

i would say armor would work as upgrage while weapons/tools will slot items similiary to charcteer,
    you can also compare those gifts to se differences
    my only question is will there a slot for backpack? like bag for items, jetpack r shields
    well the best answer you can get is wait till its out, play it and findout

14. mastercookie

mastercookie Existential Complex

speaking of colours, any news on adding the ability to paint objects? since dyemod is dead for good, i cant colour my furniture any more :(

15. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

This. The moment my diffs show a mass correction involving object definitions and the use of the <color> tag, you know this exact shit's about to go down.

16. Pairjax

Pairjax Void-Bound Voyager

As I just had the totally awesome pleasure of finishing your game after getting a computer that can run it without lagging to death (A 7-year-old mac :/) I've been having a blast with Starbound, and I'm excited to see what comes next!

17. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

hmmm, i hadn't notice this till now.........is that block corner edging i see?

18. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I am so excited for this. I really hope the mech mods (XS+ZZ) currently out there don't break as a result of these new vanilla mechs, cause I think about 2/3rds of the community would lose their characters from that. Also, those brow ridge-like details make me think this is the Apex version compared to the 3-eyed Hylotl version we saw previously.

Also, am I the only one who's immediate thoughts upon seeing this were "this could bring so much to modding"? I mean, if the customization framework works well, it could be expanded to so many things. FTL Hoverboat anyone?

19. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Paint is awesome and all but how many different forms can mechs have? I hope there's more than 5 actual mechs.....10 to 15 would be a solid number. A bit worried there's no more talk of NPC ships.....was hoping they might turn out to be more than set piece dungeons. Also some sort of viable planet-side vehicles other than the crashmobile would be good.....frankly I still don't quite understands how the crashmobile was deemed good enough to be included in 1.0....it's literally broken and cannot be used for more than five minutes before it blows up.

As for the voting thing, I voted for SB.....still don't understand why it wasn't included in the most promising new IP....and more worthy of GOTY nomination than most of the garbage that was nominated for GOTY.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2017
  20. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

There seem to be parts that we can choose from: we seem to be capable of choosing a different piece of equipment for each "hand", and presumably we'll be able to swap out some cosmetic elements as well, like the armor of an actual character. Also, I assume the ships will be addressed in another blog update. I agree with you on the hoverbike; if we were capable of repairing it with some piece of equipment, it would at least be useful sometimes, but as it is, it is not only rendered useless by 90% of Starbound's terrain (which might be fixable using whatever code the mechs now use), but given the gravity augment and a rocket spear, I can travel faster on my own than using it.

DarthTrethon likes this.