Dev Blog Starbound 1.2 [UNSTABLE] Patch Notes

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Dec 7, 2016.

?

Which feature are you most excited about?

1. Terraforming

46 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. Ancient Vaults

69 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. Weapon upgrades

35 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Elemental damage

16 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Other (leave a comment!)

9 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. (cross-posted from the Starbound Dev Blog!)

Hey everyone! I hope December's treating you well.

The unstable release of Starbound 1.2 is here! This means a stable release is nearly here, but not quite - we may still make changes or find all kinds of exciting bugs that need fixing ahead of the official release. But if you're a Steam user and you just can't wait, you can check out the update ahead of time by running "Starbound - Unstable" from your Steam library!

For 1.2, we wanted to focus on giving you more to do after you've finished all that saving the universe business. To that end, we've added endgame procedural dungeons and bosses, the ability to terraform planets, weapon upgrades, and elemental damage! Take a look at the patch notes below for details, and click through if you're interested in bug/performance fixes and changes to the modding API.

If you'd rather wait for the stable release, sit tight! We won't keep you waiting too long. :)

Major Changes

[​IMG]
    • Ancient Vaults
      • Players who have completed the main storyline can visit a mysterious trader on the Outpost who will send them on a quest to activate and enter the Ancient Gateways found floating in some systems
      • These gateways provide access to Ancient Vaults: challenging procedural dungeons left by the ancients, filled with dangerous guardians (including procedural bosses!) and fantastic lost technologies
      [​IMG]
    • Terraforming
      • Using powerful devices acquired from the Ancient Vaults along with a new Essence currency, you can now transform regions or whole planets into entirely different biomes
      • Terraformers can be used to expand a region across a planet’s surface, replacing natural blocks, objects and plant life, and eventually changing the type of the planet itself
      • Microformers are consumable single-use terraformers which provide even more region types to add to your worlds
      [​IMG]
    • Weapon Upgrades
      • Use the ancient anvil available at the end of Ancient Vaults and spend Essence to upgrade your outdated legendary weapons, opening up many new options for endgame combat styles
      [​IMG]
    • Elemental Damage
      • Monsters now have resistance and weakness to elemental damage types, making your choice of weapons more important than ever

Minor Changes / Bug Fixes
    • Holding the activation key while in a distortion sphere tech will force deactivation, to avoid being permanently stuck in small spaces
    • Contain tooltips within the game window when they’re near the edge
    • Fix a bug with monster kill sounds not playing correctly
    • Several bug fixes to monster/NPC behaviors and pathfinding
    • Various typo and asset fixes
    • Add appropriate “bushes” to the Foundry biome
    • Update SDL2 to 2.0.5, should fix some fullscreen issues
    • Fix some security vulnerabilities in server packet handling
    Performance Improvements
    • Improve generation time of older, image-based dungeons
    • Other minor improvements to dungeon and world generation
    • Use larger texture atlases on graphics cards that support them
    • Various optimizations to monster/NPC scripts
    Modding API Changes
    • Behavior Tree system moved to engine for performance reasons, now accessible with the root.behavior lua binding. (Check lua documentation)
      • Cleanup node removed
      • Decorator node lua implementation changed
      • Action node arguments moved around, now (args, output, nodeId, dt).
    • Generic currency support.
      • Additional currencies can be added and consumed without requiring configuration
      • To associate a currency with a currency item, to be used in crafting, it needs to be configured in /currencies.config
      • .coinitem files changed to .currency
    • Object changes for terraforming support
      • Objects can have a new boolean key, "biomePlaced" which if true will cause them to be placed and removed by terraforming.
      • Objects can have a new boolean key, "rooting" which if true will mark all of their anchor spaces as roots and prevent those tiles from being broken until the object is broken (identical to how trees and vines work).
    • Player inventory can now be configured in player.config, allowing changes to:
      • Number of bags
      • Inventory size of each bag
      • Number of action bars
      • Action bar size
      • NOTE: modifications to player inventory size need to be applied both server side and client side, and will invalidate existing characters unless manually versioned
    • Damage sources, requests, and notifications
      • Introduced new hit types; WeakHit, StrongHit and Killed.
      • Removed killed boolean from damage notifications, replaced with Killed hit type.
      • Damage effects (sounds, particles) can be configured for each hit type (Hit, WeakHit, StrongHit, ShieldHit, Killed) in damage type configurations (.damage files).
      • Added support for elemental types to damage types. Elemental types can be configured in /damage/elementaltypes.config and can be set for each damage type using the “elementalType” key, which defaults to the “default” elemental type. Each elemental type has a unique set of damage number particles for each hit type.
    • Monsters
      • Added support for client side rendering scripts
      • Allow overriding randomly selected monster parts by setting “selectedParts” in parameters
      • Add support for direct palette swaps with the “colorSwap” parameter
      • Allow overriding “shortdescription“ in parameters
      • Allow overriding “dropPools” in parameters
      • Allow setting animation parameters directly in monster parameters with the “animationCustom” parameter. This is merged into the animator configuration.
    • Lua API changes:
      • ActiveItemAnimation
        • Removed activeItemAnimation.animationParameter (replaced with animationConfig.animationParameter)
      • Animator
        • Added animator.partProperty
      • Item
        • Replaced item.is with item.matches
      • Monster
        • Added monster.setDamageParts
        • Added monster.setAnimationParameter
      • Npc
        • Added npc.loungingIn
      • ObjectAnimator
        • Removed objectAnimator.animationParameter (replaced with animationConfig.animationParameter)
      • Player
        • Added player.currency
        • Added player.addCurrency
        • Added player.consumeCurrency
        • Modified player.hasItem to allow exact parameter matching
        • Modified player.hasCountOfItem to allow exact parameter matching
        • Modified player.consumeItem to allow exact parameter matching
      • Root
        • Added root.behavior
      • Added animationConfig table for use in client side rendering scripts
      • ScriptPane
        • Added pane.playSound
      • Widget
        • Added widget.setSliderValue
        • Added widget.getSliderRange
        • Added widget.setSliderEnabled
        • Added widget.setItemSlotItem
      • World
        • Modify world.spawnItem to allow optionally setting a velocity and an intangibleTime
        • Added world.size
        • Added world.inSurfaceLayer
        • Added world.terrestrial
        • Changed world.entityMoney to world.entityCurrency
        • Added world.universeFlagSet
        • Modified world.entityHasCountOfItem to allow exact parameter matching
        • Added world.lineTileCollisionPoint
        • Added world.addBiomeRegion
        • Added world.expandBiomeRegion
        • Added world.pregenerateAddBiome
        • Added world.pregenerateExpandBiome
        • Added world.setLayerEnvironmentBiome
        • Added world.setPlanetType
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  2. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

I support this modding support. Any word on addressing UI issues? (A thread containing which has been graciously supplied by @Xylia)

3. irongamer

irongamer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's a nice inventory you have there. Would be shame if it had to be filled with different resistance gear sets!

4. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

We've been heard! The gods heard us!

This will be awesome :nuruflirt:

5. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

Oh nooo i have to arrange my adequate gear for a planet before I beam down to it. Woe is me.

6. DukeLebowski

DukeLebowski Scruffy Nerf-Herder

In the worst case you'll have to bring weapons of different elemental types, but I don't think they have added elemental resistance for the player. So no gear sets clotting your precious inventory space : )

7. Arra

Arra The End of Time

* cough* Starbound 1.2: Concerned Carpet * cough *

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  8. AmazonValkyrie

AmazonValkyrie Spaceman Spiff

Super excited to see these additions in action! Can't wait to give it a go in unstable.

irongamer likes this.
  9. Dinadin

Dinadin Void-Bound Voyager

I beg you to leave the old model of Solus Katana. Because, for now, after upgrade it looks like a bent pipe, but not a katana. Or change a new model to something more similar to the old "katana" look.

10. irongamer

Why so serious? +10 to snark skill btw.

11. irongamer

Yeah I know. I was trying to elicit some repressed WoW memories.

Katzeus likes this.
  12. Hebephryo

Hebephryo Phantasmal Quasar

Vaults, weapon upgrades...oh yes, that sounds fantastic.
    Now if only we could get giant predator eels added to ocean planets, I'd be completely happy.

13. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Uploaded diffs and a newly pandoc'd copy of the docs.

14. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

*shhhhh*
    No. *shh!* you. *shhh!*

15. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

You guys literally stole what I was working on for a mod. :rofl:

If this means what I think it means... Time for a new hotbar. and/or inventory!
    (At least, a better looking one...)
    *modding intensifies*

:D FInally.

To the desktop! :viking:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  16. Robotic Bolt

Robotic Bolt Aquatic Astronaut

17. tomssuli

tomssuli Title Not Found

Nice stuff! I'm excited about new bosses. Maybe the game will finally have proper challenge and something to tackle with all those marvellous OP weapons and mad skillz.

Could we have a low health warning indicator? Bleeding animation, warning sound, red hue to the sides of the screen? Anything to tell that you should use medikit, because my most common reason of death is not remembering to look at health meter and dying for some utterly ridiculous reason (little fall, touching ceiling spikes, touching some basic small mob etc.).

foreck, Ankali, Flake13 and 8 others like this.
  18. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Nice! Upgrading weapons sounds great. Will it eventually work on all weapons, or will it remain a legendary-only thing? Because, while I'm happy with just the thought of a high-grade alien worm gun, I'd love to be able to upgrade some of my nicer procedurally generated weapons.

19. PiggyGaming

PiggyGaming Void-Bound Voyager

ALL OF THE HYPES!!!!!! :D :D :D

but seriously, i kinda left this game after completing it....post-game content will be AMAZING

20. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

I approve of this update. Still have not been able to completley track down the crew dupe glitch though, huh? Real sneaky one, that...