12 August Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

If there was any more hype to this game/event/metaphysical tremor in the space-time continuum (as a result of the undulating, eternal waves of manic fans) the resulting tear in the fabric of expectation would make Cthulhu and all the other Deep Ones (a la his poor buddies) cry in their sleep.
    Nightmares. For them. That is how high the expectations are being raised for this game.

Morzan and Draks like this.
  2. Geckoala

Geckoala Void-Bound Voyager

I only dislike how it looks like. For example, I LOVE this idea (http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/vis-planet-eye-planet.10552/) We can see a big work to integrate the eyes in a proportionate and balanced way. And it looks amazing :D

Titanium likes this.
  3. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

Yeah, proportions are important. I think the big issue is that the random generator just seems... random?

Geckoala likes this.
  4. Draks

Draks Subatomic Cosmonaut

dont forget about the fact that such a rift would open the way for Emrakul, Kozilek, Ulamog, And all manner of other unhappy things.

5. Chaotic134

Chaotic134 Star Wrangler

It would probably also open up the Void

6. SpiroExDeus

SpiroExDeus Cosmic Narwhal

You might as well say a fractal isn't random or procedurally generated because it's made of pixels, or looks like a fern. They've already said that not everything is procedurally generated, and that apparently includes the fruit of the eye tree....

7. SpiroExDeus

That's one I've never heard before!
    Do you want blue cheese dressing or honey mustard with that? Want to upgrade to a footlong?

darkparadise likes this.
  8. Sadeyx

Sadeyx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't think you understand what a fractal is.

But, I didn't know they said that.. kinda disappointing. On my 10 minute drive into work I see more diversity of tree's, and its not just the 'fruit' they all seem to have tall straight trunks on starbound, like terraria, but unless planted my man most tree's are not like that.

Having caught up with most of the screen shots and updates, things just dont look that diverse at all. with 350 decillion possible planets it seems like things will start to get samey after 20 or 30 planets. Just sayin

9. white kaj

white kaj Starship Captain

well there will be tons of other planets so i think your gameplay will be pretty safe

darkparadise likes this.
  10. SpiroExDeus

What is it with people telling me what I DO and DON'T understand with procedural generation!!!???!!!

OK. I'll prove it to you:

A fractal is a fractional equation. Taking a small seed it procedurally generates multiple iterations of itself in smaller versions of its initial template, which fit into the larger picture. What we call a 'fractal' is the representation of such on our PC screen. To do this takes pixels which are used to represent the procedurally generated pattern. The fractal itself isn't fully prepresented on the screen as that would be impossible. Its representation on the screen is a pixellated version of its underlying equation.

Other procedural generation procedurally generates things from seeds similar to fractals but may use something bigger than a pixel in constructing its ... constructs (like, I don't know, a few differently sized and differently coloured eyeballs, maybe 2 or three different tree trunk types....).

Honestly I don't think this will matter much. Most trees will be seen by players as "Something to cut down" or "background". They COULD spend a lot of time procedurally generating a growth algorithm for each tree but as much as I'm more patient than the "Beta-now-please :saywhat:" crowd I think even I would get a bit impatient if they started needlessly wasting time on a tree growth algorithm.

... Wish there was a forum rule on "Assuming what people know and don't know" :p

<grammarnazi> Oh, and there's no apostrophe in trees. An apostrophe is either used to represent a contraction and a missing letter (as in "isn't" - a contraction of "is not") or to denote possession, that the something belongs to something else (as in "The tree's fruit is tasty" this is talking about a single tree and saying that the fruit mentioned afterwards belongs to the tree - hence the apostrophe. If we were talking about multiple trees we'd say "the trees' fruit is tasty". This apostrophe is in fact an example of both a contraction and a possessive as it's actually short for trees's but as that would have us incorrectly pronouncing it as "treeses" and sounding like Gollum (which would never do) it's generally accepted that the second "s" be missed out.</grammarnazi>

11. Dr Fushba

Dr Fushba Cosmic Narwhal

Maybe the eyeball trees are carnivorous? An insect flies in, gets trapped, and the eyeball either toasts them with its lens or fills up with enzymes.

12. XDarkPhoenixX

XDarkPhoenixX Pangalactic Porcupine

*Screams like a little girl* I found today's starbound stream recorded part1=

Part 2 through 7 are also there https://www.youtube.com/user/Halo933/videos

13. S'now Face-Chamcham

S'now Face-Chamcham Master Chief

*grumble* silly british people and their "i can go to insomnia festival"ness...*grumble*

14. Jake2524

Jake2524 Void-Bound Voyager

All I can think of when I see the screen shot is "Do you have itchy watery eyes? There's a Visine for that."

jrapta and Oddlyinc like this.
  15. SpikeX

SpikeX Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ooow there is the mysterious eyeball fruit :D

16. Ewan

Ewan Orbital Explorer

OH i remember watching that movie, at that time i though it was really exiting and greatly exaggerated.

17. isaiahkingwhat

isaiahkingwhat Intergalactic Tourist

Cool! Those Eyeball Trees Are Staring At Me...:chrono:It's Kinda Creepy!