Dev Blog 28th June - Lumbering Lodgings

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Hey everyone!

The highlighting system has had a bit of a revamp, and it should now be more obvious when an object you've hovered your cursor over can be interacted with. Looks like this!

[​IMG]

If you'd rather not be able to see what you can interact with, you can turn highlights off altogether in your options menu.

[​IMG]

Over on the Starbound subreddit, this week's Build of the Week theme is New/Artificial Biomes! We love to see what people come up with each week, so if you're feeling inspired, go build a cool biome! Last week's theme was Hotel, and our favorite was this overgrown hotel by SkiRpieE! I don't think I'd actually want to stay there, though...

[​IMG]

'Til next time, folks! <3

Axe Garian, Taink, Lodish and 19 others like this.
  2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Hey, any plans of actually having ship rooms spawn with furniture? I'm not very creative, but I love awesome looking ships but wouldn't know how to actually build any of this stuff myself... couldn't we get racial-themed stuff to spawn naturally in ships when we upgrade them?

I know you can't stick new stuff in previous rooms during an upgrade, but the NEW rooms could have walls, furniture, etc.

Felins has a table and chair spawn in the first room as proof of concept that I know it can work.

Taink and Kawa like this.
  3. We don't have plans for furniture to spawn in ship rooms on its own. The ship is yours to customize however you'd like!

Axe Garian, FearnWAZZA and Marxon like this.
  4. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

It's true. The trick was to not make the stuff respawn when you upgrade.

5. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

I've got to say I like the hotel build here(I did like a lot of the others displayed on the reddit though, like the Apex-themed "creepy motel").

Also, nice ship! I've been noticing the new highlight in the new nightly and appreciate them. A bit of a surprise but one I can do with. It's also nice you were able to easily implement a toggle setting for it.
    The biggest change was realizing the old examine function was moved to the Matter Manipulator as something(I assume?) that needs to be unlocked rather than by default now if I'm to judge by the small looking glass my character produces when bringing it up on the new character I decided to create to see how things were changing again.

Btw, I love the spaceship! And is that ornate wood there? I love the thing but I never know where or how to find it in appreciable amounts for my fancier build ^^;
    Is there a place where recipes for "fanciers" blocks like these could be purchased, like a new "master builder/artesan" shop in the Outpost or in the appropriate NPC villages?
    (Asking as I'm also a fan of those big stone blocks glitch use to make castles, or of dungeon and small/big temple blocks a lot of the avians in the game use for their ruins, temples and villages. Plus I know a lot of folks are fans of those hylotl roof tiles too ^^; ).

If not I'm fine with that and I guess it'll be more incentives to "dimantl- ... I mean "relocate" some of those avian ruins found underground but I was just a little curious ^^
    (And it DOES encourage me to keep searching for such ruins. "Renovating existing half-broken but visually interesting microdungeon" ruin and such is generally how most of my colonies start up and come into existence as I explore planets)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  6. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Shoot.... I guess Sallok are no longer going to be the only ones with wood ships....

7. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You actually can, it just isn't advised as it could completely screw up anything you had in that room before.

8. Sheath

Sheath Void-Bound Voyager

As nice as it is seeing all these things, It's getting annoying checking your blog every day for any news of a release date and never seeing anything : ( I wanna play starbound again T.T

9. lazarus78

They said they are trying to end of july. They aren't giving dates because they have a track record of not being able to keep them.

Taink and DragonsForce like this.
  10. Sheath

Sheath Void-Bound Voyager

Have they implied end of July? I know it's hard to give an exact date but that's more then I'd heard. And I'd much rather them take more time to fix bugs than release and then patch. Just looked it up, Apr 3rd was the "final approach" post, so that's about how long I've been checking the blog erryday, lol.

Edit: More on topic, Are the ships always going to upgrade into the same shapes, or will there be any way to customize say, where the new rooms spawn in relation to the existing rooms, or the overall shape of the ship (3 rooms in a row horizontal, or 3 rooms in a row vertical, or as pictured above) It'd be great if you could choose where the new room went when you upgrade, even if its just above, below, or side to side of an existing room.

11. Tyler Tenebrae

Tyler Tenebrae Pangalactic Porcupine

What about an interior designer NPC for the lazies and/or less creative folks?
    You buy a paper and then furniture magically appears on your ship Bethesda-style.

Personally I have some trouble deciding where the kitchen would be.
    Because the kitchen is the most important room. Ever.

Taink and Kane_HUN like this.
  12. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

The highlighting feature will help when finding items to mess with.

And usually don't have much trouble furnishing my ship other that figuring out how to fit things into the rooms (the crafting stations are tricky to fit in my workshop), its not hard to place my ship kitchen since I like to have it next to the farm (that tends to be the largest room in the ship).

13. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Perhaps someone that just does a quick block/palate swap, changing the panels, the horizontals, and the verticals.
    Especially now that the benefits of food and staking makes making the most out of farmed food all the more important. I like how they are starting to put a focus on having a planet base what with the food, silk, and fluffalos that (hopefully) won't be able to grow on ships due to the unnatural environment. Speaking of, it'd also be really cool if certain plants could only grow on certain biomes...
    (Also, when will placed dirt/sand/cobble/etc. be able to swap to the planet's palate when placed? While I'm grateful for the saved space, I'm
    Still irked by brown dirt on a blue dirt planet.

Taink and legodude2 like this.
  14. lazarus78

Tiy said it in his last AMA, and Molly has repeated it several times.

Yes, ships are statically upgraded. The ship graphics have to be statically set, so while you COULD make such a system to allow you some level of customization of the layout, it would be stupidly time consuming to make it. It really wouldn't be worth it.

15. MACMAN2003

MACMAN2003 Tentacle Wrangler

can you bring back the old hotbar?
    i hate the new one

16. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

I believe this is very much NOT the subject of this latest blog post and that there is already more than enough entire threads discussing some people's dislike of the new bar?

Taink, Sylxeria, Harintosh and 4 others like this.
  17. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

The highlighting system would be nice as there had been a few items that did stuff that I wasn't even aware of until I accidentally clicked them. I made a mummy themed room on my ship using stuff from an Avian tomb dungeon (including floor covered with bones) and for the longest time I thought my pet was making an extremely weird sound. Turn out I was clicking the gong which make the sound when you use it. http://starbounder.org/Avian_Gong

Also the option is very nice as I am sure having stuff highlighted for you during a picture or roleplay moment could ruin the vibe.

18. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Really glad that there is the option to turn it of. This highlighting is way to strong for my taste. Then again, I estimate that there are no more than 5 interactive items in the game of which I don't know that they are interactive.

19. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Not too difficult. You just need to add
    Code:
    "objectResidual" : true
    to the blockfile for objects. Then you go and remove those objects from subsequent ship versions.

Yeah you can add whatever you want to rooms during spawn. In fact I COULD add stuff to existing rooms. That would involve adding a new value to the blockfile which is associated with its own unique color, and adding that color into the blockimage of a particular ship level.

20. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

You know that, I know that, but I did have to figure it out first to begin with.