Dev Blog 24th June - Fenerox

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jun 24, 2016.

1. (Sorry for the prior lack of comment thread!)

http://playstarbound.com/23rd-june-fenerox/

Evening, folks!

Here are some friendly new faces you can meet in Savannah biomes – the Fenerox!

[​IMG]

Over on our subreddit, the Build of the Week theme is Hotel. We’d love to see what you come up with! Last week’s theme was Island Houses, and our favorite build was this beautiful ruined island by Dads_!

[​IMG]

Additionally! The Steam Summer Sale has just started, and there are a bunch of Chucklefish games on sale! Go check out the Chucklefish blog for more info!

‘Til next time <3

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

@Bonabopn, your time is now.

Also, I'm going to need a mod to play as these guys.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    Shaadaris, Arra, Ludovic and 2 others like this.
  3. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

What's this? An awesome looking NPC race in Starbound that isn't actually a set of clothing? It's wonderful!

That is one sick Build of the Week as well.

Sadly, Starbound is not one of the games on sale. I really think it should have been put on sale, to attract more players before the 1.0/Cheerful Giraffe release. Starbound really should go on sale more often... much more often... and for more of a discount than 33%. Not because the game does not deserve the full price, but to encourage new people to buy the game and recommend it to their friends who may purchase it in turn. There's something about a 50% off sale that is much more enticing during a massive game sale than no sale whatsoever.

4. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

I agree with the sale thing. I actually avoid getting Starbound for the longest time because it was never on a good sale. One of the pros of having Steam, I am entitle to get a good deal.

I know people might hate me for comparing the two but using Terraria and Starbound price range at any given moment.
    Terraria at full price is $10, Starbound at full price is $15
    Terraria on sale for 50% off to a total of $5 where Starbound isn't on sale whatsoever and currently is triple the price as it stands.
    Even if Starbound was on sale for the usual 33% off it would still be around $10, about the same price as buying Terraria at full price.

Sale or no sale there is pretty much no reason anyone would choose Starbound over Terraria, more so given the bad rep Starbound got early on where Terraria is pretty much seen as a god tier game. Even if it just this one time I think Starbound should have a pre-1.0 sale (and make it a true discount) and hopefully it will spread by the word of mouth and hope that the good rep after 1.0 will make up for the lost of the sale itself. Don't get me wrong, Starbound is totally worth the $15, it just that most people not going to make that leap when there are better options (in terms of price anyway).

More on subject with the thread though I have a friend who actually gave me the final push to buy Starbound even though there is literally no good sales for it ever and I already had Terraria. Funny enough he love fennec foxes. He is going to be so happy about this, not sure if I should spoil this to him now and get him hype up or keep it a secret until the day we are playing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  5. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Since the game is now in the stage where it's being polished for 1.0 can we like.....get an official 1.0 release date? I mean, the game's been in this stage for a month or two now already. Also what's going on with vehicles and mechs?

6. Vuldreg

Vuldreg Cosmic Narwhal

That is really cool, I was just wondering though would it be possible for Starbound to gain special races you can only unlock through doing certain things ingame? Of course we have mods that could unlock the race right away but it would be kind of cool if we could get some special challenges with rewards like special npc races like these Fenerox becoming playable when we finish them, It would of course just be one of the possible rewards other things would be there as well like special weapons and armors you can't find any other way.

7. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

Too much cute and friendly creatures.

This is a hotel?

8. theases2000

theases2000 Void-Bound Voyager

i just have 1 question, would be the fenerox a npc only or you can choose that race like PJ in a future?

9. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

I really like that you guys are starting to use the elevators in premade strutures.
    And more races are always welcome by the players.
    But on a off topic note when are the ohter colored poptops coming like green and gray

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  10. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

This weeks theme is Hotel. The image is last week's winner, the theme being Island Houses. c:
    They look cute! But are they fluffy enough? I wasn't sure if they were meant to look like fennec foxes.

Tazmaniac95 likes this.
  11. Hawklaser

Hawklaser Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't think there will be an Official date until they are done polishing and doing Quality of Life improvements until they feel they have what is needed in place to do a push to the Unstable build for a last pass crowd sourced bug testing phase. They are still adding some things, and with the clean up of code and some QoL changes things still break on occasion in Nightly. Coding can get pretty complicated and a small change in one spot does have the potential to mess with some very unexpected things.

They likely do have a date they are aiming for, but until things are done being changed and adjusted probably best not to publicly announce it and set it somewhat in stone. Problem is people get upset by not having a date and also when unforseen things keep delaying and pushing the date back too. So just be glad they are keeping us in the loop and that soon is more of an actual soon instead of a soon that means who knows when.

Also the Fenerox do look very nice, though I do have to wonder if will have to make a new universe to have them actually showing up so can go find them in the nightly version. Either way once the official release happens would be making a new universe anyways to ensure all the cool stuff has a chance to have spawned.

12. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

that's an interesting looking island...

My first thought when seeing the NPC was "Lynx"
    Then I saw the pic below of the fox. So both. Some lynx have that ear.
    Regardless it is nice to see another type of NPC around. :nuruhappy:

13. Urthdigger

Urthdigger Title Not Found

I want to hug the Feneroxes! Feneroxi? Hrm, what's the plural here. Ah whatever. I wonder if they'll be solely something we can find while wandering, or if we can have them as tenants too!

14. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

Yes, looks like refuge for the shipwrecked.

15. Bonabopn

I'm not sure if you read my post properly. The image is LAST WEEK's winner, hotel is THIS WEEK's theme.

16. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

I'm surprised nobody pointed out the vultures...

17. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

I got it. :)

Bonabopn likes this.
  18. Phantaeon

Phantaeon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I really wanna play as them now.

Besides, there's still a spot to fill up on the giant door in the Ark.

19. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

Man, you introduce them AFTER making it so you can't attack random NPCs in the nightly? Guess I have to carry lava around with me to purge them when I see them, even though I've killed myself many times with my own lava by accident. I'm not particularly fond of the new race. I liked seeing random folks living in the savannah together, making use of what little material they had. I know, more races is better, but I'm not fond of more animal races. We need more "alien" aliens.

It is nice to see that we're getting more background folks, even if I want to kill them on sight. Though personally, I think the Agaran deserve a look over more than the new NPC races being brought in, what with them having lost almost everything from their first introductions that gave them so much character.

That island ruins build is pretty cool though.

Taink and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  20. Bonabopn

i will fight you