Dev Blog 27th May - Stop right there!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 27, 2016.

1. Happy Friday, everyone!

It's been a really productive week for finding and smashing bugs! We've also got a few people completing small-but-important pre-1.0 tweaks and features. Like this one!

[​IMG]

It's never made sense for NPCs to be cool with you stealing their furniture and smashing their pots - you're not the Hero of Time, and those pots were expensive!

So now, if you're caught stealing from an NPC, they'll call the guards. Better work on your stealth!

[​IMG]

Bonus interior design tip:

In our play testing sessions this week, Harriet and I discovered that a smoke machine placed in a shallow pool makes for a super awesome sauna. :D

sauna.gif

'Til next week!

Attached Files:

2. dareddevil7

dareddevil7 Pangalactic Porcupine

About how long until the nightly is in a state to have a version pushed to the "stable" unstable branch?

3. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

ooooo I want that sauna. :nuruflirt:

Well that is a good thing to hear we have actual reactions from... pillaging, makes for a more logical response. Stealth... That will be tricky, but no matter that is what the scan tool is for no? Now to find a way to get all those blocks... Or is there a way without having to destroy a village to get blocks... Guess I'll find out soon enough once this comes out. :nuruwink:

4. Kennethern

Kennethern Phantasmal Quasar

Stop right there, criminal scum! Nobody breaks the law on my watch! I'm confiscating your stolen goods. Now pay the fine or it's off to jail.

~ Recently Deceased Guard, Third Era 433

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  5. Killa CookBook

Killa CookBook Tentacle Wrangler

Thanks for the food tab in inventory!

Kastor likes this.
  6. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Finally! This will make town raids much more interesting, especially if there are more guards present.

7. Spottybulbear654

Spottybulbear654 Space Hobo

I really like how you are punished for stealing now. It makes it a lot more realistic. :fusrodah: <--- ( Also is this an alpaca I see? )

8. Chris1488

Chris1488 Phantasmal Quasar

"You have committed crimes against Starbound and her people. What say you in your defense?"

9. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Especially in survival mode, as you'll drop items when you die.
    Also, no. That's a Dovahkin / guy wearing an iron helmet from skyrim.
    FUS-
    *is immediately riddled with laser burns and bullet holes*

10. Yobobs01

Yobobs01 Star Wrangler

So, when are these updates coming to the Steam version of Starbound? I haven't recieved a single update since I bought the game!

11. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

Will stealing negatively impact our reputation? I believe Starbound have (or once had if it been removed) a hidden reputation feature where if you kill NPCs then sooner or later guards would just attack you on sight iirc, the only way to fix your reputation was by trading with random NPCs. If it does then I think quests should increase your rep if they doesn't already do so to balance things out. Honestly speaking I know very little of the reputation feature as I don't go around kill random NPCs and I think I only became aware that it even exist from reading a Wikia page.

By just examining items we can 3D print them afterwards right? Give very little reason to steal imo unless the player is just that cheap or too lazy to loot while playing.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Astrih Konnash and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  12. Kennethern

They're in the Nightly version of the game. Once the game is officially released you will get these updates.

13. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

That explains why I was attacked in the middle of a town when I took a Big Ape Doll last night on the nightly. I'm kind of glad that feature finally happened, since it was a bit silly without them getting mad at our thefts.

I'm still going to steal right in front of them and kill their families without remorse, being the cruel gamer I am, but still. This just gives me MORE incentive to do it!

14. n1t3n

n1t3n Big Damn Hero

Are you going to keep the damage-on-touch thing ? You may increase the damage dealt by environment instead, right ?

15. Kennethern

Damage on touch still happens, but it's less annoying. It doesn't happen with non-hostile enemies, and in combat you have "touch damage" invincibility frames during and after swinging. Humanoids do not have touch damage at all.

16. Benkinz99

Benkinz99 Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm going to join an RP server, and then become the owner of a Spa. Sauna and Massage tables aplenty.
    Ill make it on a Tropical island planet. I shall own the most powerful and glorious spa in the galaxy!

17. EdmundDuke

EdmundDuke Tentacle Wrangler

That makes me think of someone who did that on ARK: Survival Evolved... and when people logged out in their rooms in the hotel, the owner dragged their unconscious bodies and dumped them in the ocean where a bunch of Megalodon Sharks were hanging out. He took a bunch of pictures while doing it and posted on the forums. I found it rather hilarious. :rofl:

Found one of the pictures, lmao. [​IMG]

18. Killa CookBook

Killa CookBook Tentacle Wrangler

Do you have to anger the townsfolk in order to attack them now? That would be cool, no more killing your hunting buddy on accident.

19. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

As long you aren't a Floran I'm sure it could be a huge success.

How horrifying.

I never care for ARK, take literal hours to tame some dinos, your character can die by simply not playing causing you to lose everything and lastly I just hate the scaling of the game as you can get 100 resources at a time but the stuff you make take 100 resources as well to make something simple, 100/100 is still a 1/1 ratio, it isn't like the higher numbers helps whatsoever beside waste inventory space. ARK is just the most annoying way that anyone can make a survival game and yet still have players play it imo.

People may complain food won't be able to stack anymore on Starbound but at least their characters won't starve while they aren't even playing it. Like there are worst ways Starbound could had gone.

20. emeraldgreen72

emeraldgreen72 Phantasmal Quasar

Welp the villages better prepare cause soon there gonna be getting a raider and some lost art