Dev Blog 17th May - Technically...

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 17, 2016.

1. By Starbound 1.0, the way you acquire new techs will be totally different!

[​IMG]

There's an Apex scientist in the Outpost developing techs, and he needs your help to test them out! If you can beat his obstacle courses, he'll give you techs to take with you on your adventures.

You can also drop by his lab to upgrade techs if you have any tech cards handy, and later on you may be able to purchase portable tech stations so you can swap out your techs on the go!

2. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Hopefully, this means there will possibly more modified original techs along with all of the current tech variants. Such as a bouncy/jumpy variant of the morph sphere, or the FTL dash for the dash. And that hovering sphere thing for jumping.

3. Crystan

Crystan Maverick Hunter

No no no! I hope there will be still other ways to acquire techs because I really hate obstacle courses.

Thundercraft, KFCdevil84 and Jonesy like this.
  4. Benkinz99

Benkinz99 Pangalactic Porcupine

I would love to see more variants of the standard techs. I can image using a side dash that lights the ground on fire behind me to damage monsters, but not NPC`s.

5. Ferretic

Ferretic Aquatic Astronaut

Indeed lets hope for more techs. Some of them are definitely more situational than others. Lets hope we get mobile tech stations easily. Nobody likes running back and forth to the outpost every two minutes.

Pray for shine spark tech.

Also turns out this web page thinks "situational" isn't a word.

6. Cgeta

Cgeta Pangalactic Porcupine

Would be funny if there were unstable techs too, when testing :nurutease:

PabloM and lordbociek like this.
  7. Fayau

Fayau Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wooohooo can't wait!

8. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

I love that the Outpost is becoming an actual hangout, at least more so than your own ship.

If they are anything like the pocket dimension then we shouldn't have anything to worry about. I assume the first tech will be double jump and to get it you just have to prove that you are aware that you can do a normal jump, as simple as that.

There seem to be a butterfly variant of the gravity bubble that I had missed out on. I would love if I could see such options actually build into the game, it is always a shame that I only see neat stuff when cheaters are playing on multiplayer servers.

9. TanzNukeTerror

TanzNukeTerror Ketchup Robot

I assume you stand on that platform when receiving a tech?

Very Megaman X-like. I love it. :D

Sylxeria, m31k, FearnWAZZA and 4 others like this.
  10. emeraldgreen72

emeraldgreen72 Phantasmal Quasar

Glad to see that the outpost is getting more things cause in the current game there is not much reason to go except hover bikes and pixel art and finishing missions.

11. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

It's a pretty easy platforming challenge. Though I'll admit the dash one took me an eternity to do with the switch thing, though now that i can run backwards, I'd be much easier.

12. emaker123

emaker123 Void-Bound Voyager

The more i see things like that im more im afraid the Outpost will lag more. have like 10fps with everything running at half speed in the current stable patch

baconsama25 and SirMeow like this.
  13. kjartanius

kjartanius Void-Bound Voyager

This process of unlocking tech seems like it would get tedious. Doing those tasks every time you make a new character feels, at least right now, like something that will get chore-ish.

legodude2 likes this.
  14. DarkMajor21

DarkMajor21 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't hate obstacle courses, but I hope that like the crew system there will be alternative ways to obtain tech.

Thundercraft likes this.
  15. Wall of Knowledge

Wall of Knowledge Cosmic Narwhal

Hang on, didn't you already announce this? :nuruconfused:

Will it be available in the Nightly (and will Nightly be playable outside of Admin mode)?

soarin24 likes this.
  16. Trscroggs

Trscroggs Void-Bound Voyager

While I don't mind the obstacle courses, at least as they are presented in the stable build, I'll admit I can only get through them with a lot of bandages . . . and Pulse Jump. (IIRC the name of the double jump tech)

I hope this will be in a stable location, so that it is at least possible to get Pulse Jump early, because it makes exploring a lot more fun for me.

17. Combozone

Combozone Existential Complex

They said that there was a lot of optimizations for the outpost that made it run MUCH smoother than on the stable version.
    I've tried it out myself, and on a semi-decent computer, I have yet to see lag there in the outpost.
    So pumped for all of these changes, it'll make it a completely different game!

18. Vuldreg

Vuldreg Cosmic Narwhal

I'd actually like having obstacle courses that require techs to complete them.

lemon flavoured likes this.
  19. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I really love the graphic involved.
    The only thing I am some what sad about is - it feels like it is one less thing to find out when exploring.
    Right now the loot tables seem some what bare to find unique items.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    Johnnyloo, KFCdevil84 and Jonesy like this.
  20. Zlyvr

Zlyvr Phantasmal Quasar

Terrible news :(
    I'm not good with "challenge rooms" etc so it looks like there is no way for me to get techs without cheating :(
    Admin mode or no techs :(