Dev Blog 10th May - Cool Space Wizards

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 10, 2016.

1. (Go to the original blog post for speedier gifs!)

Do you like space? Do you like wizards, also? Wow! You're in luck!

[​IMG]

Look out for staves and wands in your travels and become the cool space wizard* you were always destined to be! Staves are two-handed and come with secondary abilities, whereas wands are one-handed and can be dual-wielded!

[​IMG]

They come pre-enchanted (or pre-SCIENCED?) with a variety of useful abilities. Heal your friends! Cast fire and brimstone and electric purple rain down upon your enemies! ... or your friends. We're not here to judge.

[​IMG]

*Robe and Wizard Hat not included.

Zebe, Flake13, Godbot and 14 others like this.
  2. Brekke K'ktus

Brekke K'ktus Void-Bound Voyager

I like that healing "thingy"! ;)

FearnWAZZA likes this.
  3. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I really still do not like the focus on "magic" in this science fiction game. The effects are cool, sure, but could no better name than wands or staves be found? Those just scream "magic" whereas I am sure that there is a way to name them so they sound more technological.

4. lipe123654

lipe123654 Void-Bound Voyager

make a wiazrd school, like a place with npcs and chest with wands and other things

jonathonspy and Yarott like this.
  5. TeddyBearYoshi

TeddyBearYoshi Subatomic Cosmonaut

Very awesome! I can't wait to see all of this stuff when it's released. :DD

6. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Put "Power" or "Space" in front of it. "Power Rod". "Space Stave". :D

I'm sure there are even better options, but that will do for the moment.

7. Pilchenstein

Pilchenstein Ketchup Robot

Just mod them into "Tech-staves" and "Cyber-wands".

Flake13, Godbot, Avarwen and 2 others like this.
  8. DukeLebowski

DukeLebowski Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I got you.
    Techno-cyber-galaxy-void-stick

9. Xolarix

Xolarix Void-Bound Voyager

Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." ~ Arthur C. Clarke

I don't mind the "magic" as long as it is explained with technology.

10. Sheeps

Sheeps Void-Bound Voyager

We need a wand that makes platforms :lickitung:

11. Arra

Arra The End of Time

Dangit Xolarix. I was about to say the same thing as you.

12. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Nope. I like space, but hate wizards... ;p

A space barbarian, though? Oh heck yeah. I'd be down with that :viking:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    Arra likes this.
  13. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

This again? @Mackinz, you're a cool guy and I appreciate the things you've done, are doing... but not this thing. You've made your point.

Kelthazan, Lintton, Ainzoal and 3 others like this.
  14. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

AOE regions. Bring on the air bubbles for space!

@Kawa - Technology of a significant level is indistinguishable from magic. Mackinz just cant fathom the technology behind the staves and wands.

jonathonspy, Salokin and Arra like this.
  15. emeraldgreen72

emeraldgreen72 Phantasmal Quasar

It's time for some crazy wiz biz

Kelthazan and Arra like this.
  16. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Yes, this "again"... except this time I am trying to encourage moving away from "staff" and "wand" and encourage cooler, unique names.

Actually, it's more like Chucklefish never supplied a technological justification for them and, instead, just seemingly tacked them onto the game back when they introduced "classes". They are underdeveloped ideas, in my opinion.

Flake13, Kelthazan, STCW262 and 2 others like this.
  17. DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

I still want a dislike button so I can express my eye-rolling displeasure with people complaining about the point where the Space Game featuring poo monsters, a race of pirate penguins, feudalistic robot societies, and cosmic tentacle horrors violated its integrity by adding something as implausible as 'magic.'

18. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Everything doesn't need a perfectly justifiable detailed explanation on how they function. Use your imagination for once and come up with your own.

The staves create a gravitational singularity, combined with some chemical reactions seeded into it in order to create the "storm clouds" that can rain different types of projectiles, be it lightning, fireballs, acid rain, etc. Bam, explained in a technological way that fits within the game. Your turn.

Reminds me of this:
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/55/79/f5/5579f5ddc9ab38d55c692aa59d383c51.jpg

jonathonspy, PabloM, Blevruz and 5 others like this.
  19. emeraldgreen72

emeraldgreen72 Phantasmal Quasar

Tf2 has a wizard that casts magic and the necronomicon and it's a team based FPS military shooter and yet you don't see many people complaining about it the fact is if something is fun it does not need to be explained and if you can explain it then good now it's even better. COD zombies took a while to explain stuff like the mystery box and the perk a cola or getting real guns from a drawing on the wall and yet not many people questioned why something that seemed so out of place was there they just went with it and then it ended up being explained.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    Avarwen likes this.
  20. Vuldreg

Vuldreg Cosmic Narwhal

That fire staff looks great for the type I'd use.