Dev Blog 5th May - Ursa Miner

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 5, 2016.

1. Hey everyone!

We've got viiolaceus in the office this week as a guest artist/animator! She's created a shop to replace the outpost's ore merchant. Meet Ursa and Little Dipper!

[​IMG]

Rosiedeux has ensured that Starbound 1.0 will have lots and lots of colorful, diverse books! It makes a massive difference for the books you pick up throughout the universe to look unique and even more importantly, relevant to the topic they cover. What do you think?

[​IMG]

And following up on Tuesday's late-game craftable swords and bows and pistols, here's a wand and a staff!

[​IMG]

JKP9, CorraidhĂ­n, Katana. and 24 others like this.
  2. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Wait... Waitiwaitwaitwait... Did you say...
    Wands?! OAO
    DUAL WIELDED SPELL CASTING FTW!

gameboytj and Idemuso like this.
  3. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

Hey, the first pun I found charming! Ursa Miner is a good one. All the books are also welcome changes, since tiny flavor text things are always a good thing. Small qualities of life really add to a game. My only gripe is that the bears don't look alien at all. Same with the Penguins, too. A little alien coloring would go a long way.

That staff that summons swords is magic in every regard, but it's too damn cool to hate. I want one.

4. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Those bears are adorable. Also the puns are on a rampage, haha!

5. engiSonic

engiSonic Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wait, are those all new codexes? Hooray! No more outdated lore!

6. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

I LIKE SPACEBEARS 10/10

Relten, emeraldgreen72 and Arra like this.
  7. ShatteredEntirely

ShatteredEntirely Existential Complex

The wands seem neat, so is there a significant difference or is it basically a shortened version of the staff?

8. Supernorn

Supernorn Starbound Artist and Parallax Pixel Pusher Chucklefish

Wands are one handed, so you could potentially dual wield two wands if you wanted ;)

9. mdutcher

mdutcher Void-Bound Voyager

Dual wielding wands....YES TO EVERYTHING!

10. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Dual-wielding wands, you say?
    Rosepink.png.png

Voidnaut, Proydoha, FowlJ and 2 others like this.
  11. FatReuniclus

FatReuniclus Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't mind the bears or the penguins. They're probably just experimented animals, like the Apex. Btw, the names for the shop and its shopkeepers are absolutely adorable. I love puns!

JKP9 likes this.
  12. Benkinz99

Benkinz99 Pangalactic Porcupine

Omg... I just imagined a Wand that summoned Bones, and another that threw people around. Sans Boss battle anyone?

Alright, so I just stopped mid post to go make this. MAKE IT HAPPEN CHUCKLEFISH!

upload_2016-5-5_10-38-43.png

P.S. This took frikin forever to make, but was totally worth it.

13. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

Will the new merchant actually sell the ore or the refined ingots (I had times where I needed the raw ore and had trouble finding it), and those new codex images will make it easier to tell the difference between sets, good for both the list and filling up bookshelves.

JKP9 likes this.
  14. wingedkitten

wingedkitten Void-Bound Voyager

Please please please make the book list searchable and/or sectioned.

Kennethern likes this.
  15. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Why must magic be part of a science fiction game like Starbound? Can the effects summoned by a "staff" or "wand" at least have a laser connection effect between the staff and the summoned projectile (like a glowing grappling hook wire) to make it seem like some kind of technology?

jakecool19 likes this.
  16. Dr Cyanide

Dr Cyanide Tentacle Wrangler

because reasons.

JKP9 likes this.
  17. TechnoVibe

TechnoVibe Big Damn Hero

With the weird stuff going on in Starbound's current lore, I'd argue its more akin to a space fantasy than pure science fiction. Either way, a bunch of games that are mostly sci-fi have magical elements. Destiny, Star Ocean, Phantasy Star, - insert star wars game here - .

Also I'd imagine having there be some sort of physical connection to the summoning item would get boring for every staff.

JKP9, Sylxeria, Flake13 and 2 others like this.
  18. Daldril

Daldril Subatomic Cosmonaut

wow, this looks fantastic, cute bears, great things to read and ... STAFFSSSSS!!!! :D

*only one issue with the Avoscripts - the color reminds me super much of the "generic item", thought these were books that didn't have a new texture. :S

19. Benkinz99

Benkinz99 Pangalactic Porcupine

Dude.... This game is pretty much a space fantasy rather than a Science Fiction. With the 1984 space monkeys, the religious giant birds, the tribal cannibal plants, and the cowboys who are made of star stuff. Wands and staffs make plenty of sense within the starbound universe. Especially with all the cultures and religions inhabiting the Universe. Although that effect you describe would be cool, I think the wands and staffs are fine as how they are.

JKP9, Katana., Johnnyloo and 2 others like this.
  20. Kennethern

Kennethern Phantasmal Quasar

Starbound probably has the best community over almost any gaming forum site, or forum site in general, although it bugs me that the majority of us think the plural of staff is staffs. It's staves, you void-bound twits!

Love,
    Kennethern

JKP9, Katana., Auraknight and 3 others like this.