Dev Blog 25th April – Information Stations

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Supernorn, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Supernorn

Supernorn Starbound Artist and Parallax Pixel Pusher Chucklefish

Hey everyone! We hope you're having a good monday.

We're fast approaching our polish phase, meaning we'll be making passes on prettying up numerous parts of the game. Today we're performing a pass on the interfaces in the game, and below you'll find a few work in progress mock-ups.

The Navigation Console has been improved to provide more information, such as Quest Location markers and a Geological Analysis, which reveals the type of ores you're likely to discover!

[​IMG]

We've pulled the Tech Upgrades out of the S.A.I.L interface, and given them their own UI window.

[​IMG]

With Tech Upgrades moved elsewhere, we've been able to streamline the S.A.I.L interface considerably:

[​IMG]

This is just a small showcase of the work we've been carrying out, and there'll be much more to talk about later on in the week. Let us know what you think in the comments! <3

- @Supernorn

2. Dragon_Tom005

Dragon_Tom005 Existential Complex

One thing i'm quite interested in seeing is what the weather types stand for, in the game. I've beamed down to a planet thinking that the weater type meant minor meteor showers only to have it rain literal flames from the sky. Also, player buffs and debuffs. I find that there is still 2 buffs i have no clue what they both do, yet.

3. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

"Geological analysis : Copper, iron, silver"
    "Threat : extreme"
    C'MOOOOOON

Still, a very interesting updtae ^^

Idemuso and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  4. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Oooohh! So many shiny buttons! So when will we be able to micromanage crew equipment? Because that would just be the greatest. And allowing you to access their inventories would help with food management... Also, ordering them to defend, attack, destroy, or build certain areas would also be really cool.
    *gasp of realization*
    Guard micromanagement for towns? OoO

FearnWAZZA, devilanc, Vith and 4 others like this.
  5. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

And a reminder to you to go buy more coffee. That flavor text for the planets looks aaawfully promising. potential for things to come maybe?:p

6. cat_scientist

cat_scientist Void-Bound Voyager

What about servers. Will the invitations to game via steam?

7. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Well, I'm pleased to see this.

Marxon and Vith like this.
  8. loopnotdefined

loopnotdefined Starship Captain

I hope the navigation interface doesn't try to load a new quadrant of space with every single button press in the X/Y coordinates. On my new computer it isn't as much of a problem, but on my older computer it takes a loooooong freakin' time to type in coordinates. Typing in all the numbers at once doesn't help either, as the game still sequentially loads each sector of space from each button press - one time it was enough to crash the game.

9. Shadencile

Shadencile Phantasmal Quasar

Can't wait to play the new update when it launches. :)

10. Phantaeon

Phantaeon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is this in the Nightly already?

11. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

loooks very well made, i always wondered something, is it possible that after 1.0 that chucklefish might introduced changing the color, personality, and appearance of S.A.I.L.

Maybe introducing upgrades for S.A.I.L. that they can provide more accurate information on planets, find quests, find ores, find villages, etc

Maholix, Avarwen, FearnWAZZA and 4 others like this.
  12. Aegis J Hyena

Aegis J Hyena Existential Complex

But have you had enough coffee? Heh. I'm liking the geological scan. Can it also scan for villages and show if they're hostile or not? ("hostile glitch castle", "friendly avian village")

Cen Silver likes this.
  13. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Technically nothing is in the nightly right now because the assets are not getting distributed with the updates for whatever reason.

14. Forcedminer

Forcedminer Pangalactic Porcupine

I've always wanted my ship to be able to tell me what minerals lie below. :) reminds me of mass effect 2 with the probes.

Smug.I enjoy turning into a ball form reminds me of what the humans call transformers robots in disguise!
    and it helps....keep the water out....

nightly isn't launch correctly... :(...its downloading 1 kilobyte for the packed.pak instead of roughly 700 megabytes...

15. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Can I just say that I LOVE that placeholder planet description? Could it be kept, at least in the assets? (Similar to one of the crash messages in Minecraft which can never appear from how the code is written)
    Also love the actual content, as (almost) always.

Dewmann and Cen Silver like this.
  16. Liobuster

Liobuster Void-Bound Voyager

the orbital scans should initiate once u reach orbit and should be an upgradable feature like surface scan near crust scan and deep core scan

Morzan, Aegis J Hyena and legodude2 like this.
  17. ReijiGazpacho

ReijiGazpacho Big Damn Hero

I'm sure a lot of you have already heard of or experienced the problem with Nightly, and I think I've found the problem.
    Anyway, ship interface improvements. Neat!

Titanium likes this.
  18. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

First thing that came to mind was "Ooo this looks nice! -but... it'd look even better with a per-crewmember outfit tab." BUT > ^> on topic, I like that more detail shows on the navigation console. I'm still hoping for some more crazy techs though!

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  19. PabloM

PabloM Pangalactic Porcupine

One thing that jumped out at me was "Day Cycle: 14 clicks"
    Considering that "clicks" are kilometres, what is this intended to mean....?

20. lemon flavoured

lemon flavoured Aquatic Astronaut

Liking the new look navigation window. It's amazing how far this game has come even in the short time I've been following it.