Dev Blog 21st April - C-c-c-combo Maker!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Hello everyone! I am truly a little bit sorry about tonight's blog title.

Short swords and broadswords are undergoing a bit of an experimental revamp to bring them up to speed with the other weapon types, so that each weapon type has distinct mechanics. Using a short sword or broadsword's primary attack (left click!) multiple times in quick succession will result in combo attacks like this:

[​IMG]

upload_2016-4-21_17-46-20.gif

Necotho's been working on livening up the bottom of the ocean! If you find yourself exploring the sea floor, keep an eye out for the ruins of civilizations long gone...
    [​IMG]

Let us know what you think in the comments! <3

2. gerno

gerno Void-Bound Voyager

please, please, the one thing i want to see changed before the game's release, is to add an active reload to the guns into this game, so they dont mooch off the energy bar. i was hoping that ranged weapons would all have different magazine or clip sizes, and once you empty the clip, you would have to reload in a system similar to what we saw in games like mercenary kings, Gears of War, and the new terrible Star Wars game.

FearnWAZZA, Druidmask, ogdred and 2 others like this.
  3. Huijiro

Huijiro Void-Bound Voyager

Make a texture for the items in the bottom of the ocen would be good some houses lost in the sea most of the time get invaded by corals and fish so make the villages more... colorfull or broken would be better, shipswrecks are a good idea too.

4. Nervantar87

Nervantar87 Seal Broken

I love this idea!

5. GonDragon

GonDragon Pangalactic Porcupine

It would be very nice to see a giant fish snake-like semi-boss that protect some ruins

6. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I would appreciate it immensely if there was a chance for an ocean planet to spawn with or without ruins, so that not every ocean planet would end up a sob story with tons of destroyed civilizations. In fact, I would appreciate such a feature for all planets, since the uniformity of such worlds disturbs me... Why does every planet and every location on a planet (such as well below its surface) have to be formerly or previously inhabited? Why can't there be planets that hqve no sentient life, former or current?

Each universe is so expansive that exploring each individual planet would take millennia IRL, but I am supposed to believe that there is truly no uncharted planet in any corner of the universe?

7. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

I like this! I was just thinking about how swords and daggers worked. For daggers, I had an idea! Instead of just slashy-fasty why not make them use the same stabby-fasty as fists but without the combo but + direction? It'll make them more unique AND it'll make florans happy cause more stabbing.:nuruhappy:

8. SataKiro

SataKiro Space Hobo

Glad to see the ocean bottoms a little more than what they where, that angry sandbag tho! <3

9. DarrkkFreya

DarrkkFreya Void-Bound Voyager

Love the combos =)
    Also, may I ask if Novakid settlements/dungeons/colonists/NPCs are planned for 1.0 or maybe in the first update or two after 1.0? I know you guys are probably very busy right now and sick and tired of the same questions asked over and over, and I know they are probably irrelevent in main story and you're rushing to release 1.0 already, but it's just that Novakid villages and dungeons were never mentioned in update plans neither for 1.0, nor for post 1.0... Is there any hope of that happening, in 1.0 or after?..

10. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Ooh, these are some nice combat changes! These are definitely some much needed changes. That would explain most if not all broadswords and short swords would just give me a perfectly generic item. Hopefully this means I can get back to working on the melee weapons of my mod. And hopefully this means that one handers won't be quite as inferior if dual wielded compared to two handers.

One thing I'd like to mention though, is for you guys to stop nerfing hammers into the dirt. Now the DMG is incapable of compensating for the slow attacks and limited movement. If you are going to make them actually useful but don't want to change them too much, just bolster the damage so that they'd actually be feasible for burst damage hit and runs and such.
    Hopefully, that will be changed come stable. At the moment, it seems they are making unique monsters and dungeons and ruins so common is simply to see how people respond to them. Once unstable comes, hopefully they'll boost up the rarity for such things once again. Plus, making the unique mobs both more dangerous as more unique would give a much needed incentive to do the whole capture pod dealio.

11. Cpaz

Cpaz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

FINALLY!!! :D

JKP9 likes this.
  12. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

Any chance of getting shipwrecks (space or otherwise) on the ocean planets? Been waiting for those a long time now...

13. Greatblackshark

Greatblackshark Cosmic Narwhal

Finally!!! You guys finally did it!

Weapon attack combos! I've been waiting for this for years!!! Need it for all weapons though.... Do it! :viking:

NOAHDADDY and Hatsya Souji like this.
  14. killerfer

killerfer Void-Bound Voyager

It's really nice that you guys are actively improving the game and showing it to us every week. But it really got me thinking. Is it all really necessary for the 1.0 version? I mean, the game has changed so much you can hardly call it the same as it was 2 years ago (the time I bought it). I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm linking where this game is going, but the thing is, I played it for six months, and then came one update, and the early game changed so much, there were new quests, and new items, so I had to start all over again. And then the game didn't had all that magic from my first playthrough.
    What I mean to say is. Shouldn't you just focus on the story elements and the deliver the game, and release these combat or other stuff in future updates? Because it really sucks to play so much of the game and have to start all over again when the update comes to see the new features. That's the reason me and my wife don't play starbound for over a year.

Flake13 likes this.
  15. steelwing

steelwing Big Damn Hero

Yay ocean floor! :cookie:
    Any chance we'll have mini-dungeons down there? I know it'll be weird doing a mini-dungeon under water, but I think it could be cool.

DubstepStar and JKP9 like this.
  16. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Cooooombos! This is one of the things I missed while playing Terraria. While equipped with certain accessories, the movements of our character resembled with some fast-paced platform games, but the combat always seemed... Just... Try to keep dodging and attacking from distance.
    [​IMG]
    (HOO-HAA-HOOOOO!)

But how are the skills? Can they be linked with the combos? And while equipped with two weapons, will this change the combos in any way?

17. ThunderShock

ThunderShock Void-Bound Voyager

This is great! Making combat more interesting, difficult, and skill based is always welcome in my book! Love the work on the ocean too! On the topic of the ocean, I think a great idea would be to add ship wrecks. No, I don't mean boats, though that would be cool too, but I think it would be awesome to see ships similar to the ones the player can fly crashed on the ocean floor. Better yet, have space-ship-wrecks as a rare generation on any planet. Everyone knows space-ships are cool. Everyone knows wrecks are cool. What's better than a space-ship-wreck?

Sooo much hype for 1.0 I feel like I'm going to explode! My brain can't really handle the waiting. I'm playing starbound, listening to its soundtrack, and talking to all my friends about it just to keep from detonating! :rofl: Continue the awesome work! :D

18. Hebephryo

Hebephryo Phantasmal Quasar

Hell yeah, now we're talking!

19. Superfast103

Superfast103 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'd better ride my com-boat into the ocean to find those ruins!

20. Guard23

Guard23 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How i spawn this dummy?