Dev Blog 10th February - Space/Off

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Supernova

I saw other ships... and I also saw them get highlighted... If this means ship to ship combat, boarding, or just following the ship until it lands, I WILL FREAK OUT (in a good way).

2. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

OH. MY. GOD.
    This gif makes me so excited, I don't even have words for it... Although @Kawa did quite well.
    Actuall space travel, whilst at first just a UI thing, makes this so much more immersive... Although I do agree with whoever it was that we need a map function to plot courses without actually flying everywhere, and we do need coordinates on that map for serverplay.
    And then there is - for me - the big one: The yellow ship icon in the same frame as the green one. We don't have details yet, but I'm PRETTY sure it means something really exciting.

3. cell689

cell689 Void-Bound Voyager

This idea sounds fantastic, i absolutely love, and i'd really like to see many new "events",like space pirates invading your ship when you travel for too long or even just some dungeon-like station which you can rarely see and visit only while using the new space travel feature. I suggest that you add some new procedurally generated events that you can casually inspect like you are able to inspect the different planets and moons right now, to keep space travelling interesting and to make people really look for such events. You guys stay awesome and do things like you've done so far :D.

4. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

hmm..............does this mean space stations...............and if space stations......theres one with a population.........thats like the outpost..........for commerse and trade.........thats not the outpost O_O.

*gasp* @_@

weapon and armor traders, supply shops, curio collectors, mini-shops.....MERCENARIES FOR HIRE....BOUNTIES O___O;

just.....stuff > >...

5. rylasasin

rylasasin Cosmic Narwhal

So now that we see non-player ships moving about, does this mean that there will be space battles? Either boarding with your mechs/characters or RPG-style slogs?

6. Sabreur

Sabreur Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't have a coherent, intelligent reply, so just let me say, "SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!"

7. TinoD

TinoD Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Will this update break existing worlds on servers?

Bobwaiyaa, xaliber and Cally94 like this.
  8. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Kluexian -censored-!

If we get the ability to make space stations...man am I going to have fun coming up with mod ideas. Bonus points if we get xenomorph-style monsters and associated loot (so many removed items had a lovely aesthetic that'd work so well for xenomorph-a-likes and armor/weapon versions of them),

That wouldn't actually be that realistic. If I remember correctly, even now, we can figure out some basic details about even very far away planets just by looking at the way light is distorted by a planet's atmosphere.

What I'm really wondering is whether this new, less exact system means fuel as a mechanic will just be removed from the game entirely to prevent inexact clicking from being a resource drain. Or maybe we'll get to choose between using erchius for FTL hops and using "normal" thrusters, and Chucklefish just hasn't implemented that yet.

FloranFighter and glassdragon like this.
  9. zarfax1

zarfax1 Aquatic Astronaut

I have been wanting this for so long.:nuruflirt:

10. Orion_Pax

Orion_Pax Pangalactic Porcupine

Its need arcade space combat!

11. MrCasual112

MrCasual112 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Like other posters pointed out, I was pretty hyped for the mechs, but I was just expecting it to be a new dungeon on asteroids...now this is a game changer for sure!

The new UI highly reminds me of Spore (the only similar game I've played to this anyway) and I'm really hoping for Space combat, space pirates, boarding enemy vessels and taking the ships for your own, defending planets from invasion and stuff would be awesome too!

I also would enjoy something for randomly generated creatures, like a genetic manipulation machine, change the monsters how you want with a "DNA" currency or something, and then taking over a planets ecosystem with them? It was fun doing that in Spore, and I'd also love to put down monoliths to uplift them and just see a city of random creatures doing stuff :D

Anyway this looks amazing and I appreciate how much stuff you guys have put into this game, and how long you've stuck by this game...there were several times where I thought you guys were done with this game and you've surprised me again and again!

12. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Well we finally get more stuff in space to explore. Derelict ships would be one thing I wouldn't mind seeing... stations and the like.

The only thing that comes to mind though is how it will affect existing universes, or will the update take that into consideration and be somewhat an update in UI? With more stuff floating around. Would we have to fly out further in unexplored to get new results like before, or will it be something else?

Looks interesting so far. Guess I'll have to await to see it when hits the stable branch sometime down the line. :nuruhappy:

13. RowanEx

RowanEx Pangalactic Porcupine

Look at that, I guess I don't have to build on asteroids for a space station because we're going to have vanilla space stations!

FloranFighter likes this.
  14. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

15. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

Three questions.
    1. Will there be a wipe? I'm sick of having to rebuild everything every time a major change like this happens.
    2. If 1 = false, will things generate retroactively? Will I see space stations in my home system?
    3. Is it possible to crash into things? I'm not that great of a pilot. I fly like an eagle- piloting a blimp.

EDIT: Oh, gosh. I just saw the other ships. The universe is more alive than ever!

Masta Killa, Tamorr and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  16. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

If new generation was in order; like when installing FU or like most randomly generated world games do, you just have to scroll away from what you already generated. If the star map says PROCESSING those are newly generated systems. Now code changes can make that different creatures spawn in your planet, but shouldn't be able to change much else.

This is giving me a very Stellaris+FTL feel! REALLY look onto possible ship-to ship interaction (combat, m'kay? the Apex Ship at east has 10 cannons at max level.) in the way FTL handled it. Also if it's the Hyperdrive FTL method, there should be tracks to have to follow and not skip from any planet to otherm thus making you go through the risk of finding the aforementioned encounters, for the good or the bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2017
  17. Valkyrie_pl

Valkyrie_pl Big Damn Hero

*warps to system*
    "What a wonderful place, time to claim one of those planets my own and build a new colony."
    *another ship warps in*
    "Oh, a merchant. Gonna get some trading done."
    *lots and lost more ships continue warping in*
    "Riiiiight... time to go."

18. eefge

eefge Pangalactic Porcupine

is the update out allready?

19. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

20. eefge

eefge Pangalactic Porcupine

when it comes then?