Dev Blog 10th February - Space/Off

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 10, 2017.

1. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

What I'd really love about giant monsters would be if you could capture them with capture pods. Oh what's that? You're a big scary Ixodoom? Well, sorry to tell you kiddo, but Megaguirus here barfs nuclear rainbows and is going to stomp on your gnathosoma until you're dead, ok?

Or, even better, if you could ride them into battle. Who needs hoverbikes if you can have a giant pterosaur beast?

Sylxeria, bjorn0411, xaliber and 2 others like this.
  2. TaterChipp007

TaterChipp007 Master Chief

Swell work! Maybe instead of point-and-click, fly "freely" with the arrow (or WASD, weird right-handed people) keys?

3. Corleone

Corleone Subatomic Cosmonaut

I must disagree. Point and click (or follow cursor) allows for a much greater directional spectrum than the 4 (8) directions you get with the arrow keys.

PaxCallow likes this.
  4. Son0fgrim

Son0fgrim Spaceman Spiff

Chuckle fish adding content we actually want?
    truely these are the end times.

5. Grubageddon

Grubageddon Title Not Found

Dino's got swagger.

General Nuclear likes this.
  6. Bobwaiyaa

Bobwaiyaa Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My main concern right here too

TinoD likes this.
  7. TaterChipp007

TaterChipp007 Master Chief

Indeed it may, but it fits my play style more. :\ Or, an option to switch to an arrow key mode.

8. Mc_Dyno

Mc_Dyno Intergalactic Tourist

Wow okay i got a list of things i can list on my mind right now for this next update

1. This might sound complicated but lets say you got a hub planet or colonized planet and you have like a large flat area. If the ship can fit it can land on that area.

2. INTERGALATIC SPACESHIP BATTLES!!!!!! On servers players can attack your ship via their ship and fire lazers at you and you can set up defenses and fight back or attack their ship by beaming up onto them startrek style and attack them on the ship.

3. Also for singleplayer there can be other ships floating around the galaxy that you can communicate with star trek style and lets say an enemy ship tries to attack you and you can either attempt communication with them and try to settle hostile tensions or just raid there ship.

4. Space stations should have docking bays for your ship and you can repair a ship that has been recently damaged from battle or refuel or resupply.

5. Casual mode should have an option to either turn off the hunger bar or not.

6. (optional) For a very late game feature as in after defeating the ruin. If you have enough resources you can construct an expensive laser able to destroy planets!!!! But each time its fired it takes a long time to recharge. Also its very weak and can be destroyed easily in a raid. Also it can only destroy planets (no stars, spacestations,ships, asteroid fields,etc.)

9. Shaggyd0g

Shaggyd0g Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just to point out, as far as ALL my Casual characters haven't had a hunger bar, only the ones on Survival or Hardcore
    Ipsofacto: Ta Da! Implemented like magic!

10. Grubageddon

What he's saying is that he wants the option to have hunger in Casual. Why? Because Casual doesn't have a death penalty outside of lost time backtracking to where you were.

11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@Mc_Dyno, if @Grubageddon is correct about your intended meaning, you already have the option.

Just go to your Starbound directory, then assets, user. Make a file there named playermodes.config.patch (be careful of extension hiding!), and put this in it:
    Code:
    [ { "op":"replace", "path":"/casual/hunger", value: true } ]
    You can now starve in Casual.

12. Shaggyd0g

That wouldn't break anything playing with another person through steam that only has vanilla would it?
    Because that'd be really handy for the person I run around with occasionally, but she only plays on casual and I kinda wanna get her to experience the panic of forgetting to have enough food on you for a trip and losing all your stuff, though she wouldn't lose anything other than pixels in this case.

13. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@Shaggyd0g, I have no idea about this being a breaking conflict. It's a risk you'd have to take.

On the gripping hand, you'd probably run the same risk if it was an on-screen checkbox. Compare it to, say, the checkbox for allowing asset digest mismatches.

14. Grubageddon

I wouldn't think it would, because player difficulty/hunger/etc is generally handled by the player's machine; not the server. Try it and let us know!

15. Erathcam

Erathcam Poptop Tamer

I JUST WANTED TO SAY HI BYE

16. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

The server might act weirdly if it sees someone in casual die or take damage from hunger, though.

17. Shaggyd0g

Don't play on a server technically, she's either in my universe or I'm in hers. I play survival and that doesn't seem to matter as stated above, it should* not matter to the universe at large
    (The universe at large does not care about you :illuminati: )

18. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Starbound is always played on a server. Always. In single-player, one running instance of the game is just playing both sides, connecting to itself like a server-client ouroboros. When you're in her 'verse, her copy of the game plays server to itself and your copy, and vice-versa when she connects to your 'verse. A dedicated SB server would be one that's only a server, never a client.

This is also why there's no pause button.

Shaggyd0g and RowanEx like this.
  19. NebulaSquid

NebulaSquid Seal Broken

Wow! When will that be coming out?

20. DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

Like all releases: eventually, and without any sort of ETA. In other words: when it is ready.