Dev Blog 10th February - Space/Off

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Eh, the random visitors in the Outpost already teleport back out after a while, so why not?

2. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Actually, as I think about it? Adding new worlds (planets, moons, asteroid fields, Ancient Gates, or space stations) to any system, even ones you've visited, ought to be feasible now, without a universe wipe or altering the contents of any planets you've already visited. At most, the existing worlds might shift location on your nav screen to accommodate.

The redone view of the solar systems just makes hiding those shifts easier. And nicer-looking.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  3. Syramind

Syramind Master Chief

This game just keeps getting bigger and better! Are there perhaps any plans for weapon displays? As many awesome weapons as I've collected I'd love to show them off!

4. Grubageddon

Grubageddon Title Not Found

Just missed it is all. Sorry about that. Was having to pop in and out quick at the time. xD

The problem is that the solar system is generated when you first visit it. The only way to add them into existing systems would be to have them re-generate when you come back to them. That would probably bork up your builds.

5. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I'm pretty sure it doesn't, or at the very least, that generation is not by any stretch an immutable, permanent thing. We KNOW that the system information on the Navigation console can be changed because planets that have been Terraformed to have new primary Biomes will change on Nav-con. And since the game does NOT generate a .WORLD file (the file that tells the game everything on the planet/asteroids/gates/presumably-space-stations: blocks, monsters, items, etc) for any given landing point until you actually touch down on it, so the Nav-con HAS to be looking elsewhere for planetary information... likely a "lookup" file of some sort with stripped-down information on potential landing points in whatever system you're scoping out right now, one that can be changed in-game on the fly.

Now, if anyone more versed in the nuts-and-guts of the coding (@Kawa perhaps?) can correct/clarify, that'd be appreciated.

But my understanding from mild poking around is that adding a new landing point to a system would be not really be all that different from adding a new dungeon or biome type to the universe: the lookup file that exists pre-.WORLD-file-generation is the key. If the star Benedict Cumberbatch at coordinates X:25 y:624 had three potential landing points and they want to pop a space station into the system, then they'd leave the data for those three points and then just plunk down a fourth item, and the Nav-con would make the correction when it reloads the system. It wouldn't need to touch the contents of any of those worlds until you actually drop down onto any of them.

DragonsForce likes this.
  6. Grubageddon

You raise a good point about the terraforming, but I rather suspect (don't know, as I don't code at all) that perhaps the .world overrides the settings in the universe file for terraforming purposes. It certainly seems plausible, in any event. Should be testable by deleting a terraformed planet's .world file (or, less likely to cause irretrievable damage to your build, just move the file). I'd test, but I do not currently have any terraformed worlds. Haven't actually gone through a playthrough to hit the Ancient Vaults, yet.

If the world remained set to the new climate, we know that terraforming is making a change in a different file; most likely the universe file. Else, the world file's overwriting its default setting.

As far as adding new dungeons and biome types? You actually have to travel to undiscovered systems in order to access new dungeons and biomes when they're added, if I recall correctly. You have to go so far out that the system has to generate them fresh.

7. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Who says this is impossible with mods? I could do this a couple of ways actually and have considered "cutting" some ships up to do just this.

I already will be doing something functionally similar but not for ships(and maybe later with ships too). Tubes and domes for domed cities. Objects can access the world table, and therefore can spawn or remove tiles. Probably the optimal time would be in init() and die() respectively.

Those tiles can be any vanilla or mod tile, could be invisible, or could be metamaterials(what you normally get with doors and ship walls). Objects can obviously have images too, and multiple parts. For that matter, you can get pretty specific with anchors thus you can glue together objects. You could optionally root them.

It might be nicer to use object.setMaterialSpaces() but that only handles foreground tiles.

Also ships currently are just tiles(many are invisible metamaterials) and images to create an illusion plus a some objects. So this isn't such a stretch actually. I'm very interested to see how ships might change as a result of the space changes.

xaliber likes this.
  8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I meant, to have an in-game UI where you put together parts to make your ship and with, say, x number of upgrade modules, you can pay to have your ship re-configured and you'd have, say 10 different ship "pieces" to choose from, though there'd be limitations (such as the cockpit would have to be the furthest right room, and the engine room would have to be furthest to the left).

I was thinking that a whole in-game UI run system like that surely couldn't be added with just mods? Or maybe it can. Who knows. lol. It just didn't sound like something that could be done with mods. *shrug*

If it can be modded that'd be awesome.

9. Unclever title

Unclever title Cosmic Narwhal

Functionally it's not (yet) too different from previous interstellar and interplanetary navigation... but damn if it's not a whole new world just the same!

Not to mention the possibilities this allows in further updates! Please excuse me for getting my hopes up, I know it's not likely that we'll be getting a full fledged EV Nova like game on top of existing Starbound but still even just a few steps in that direction is pretty awesome.

10. Quillon

Quillon Subatomic Cosmonaut

*Flies into sun*

5future and Kawa like this.
  11. 5future

5future Scruffy Nerf-Herder

plot twist, actually that sun of that galaxy actually is a giant planet which uses an unknow energy to siulate a sun, but inside lies a new menace, the remnants of the cultist are experimenting with genes to make the ultimate race to acomplish theyr desires of destrucction.

I need to stop eating too much cereals.....

12. RomadE

RomadE Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Okay, this update alone is enough to get me legit hyped for this again :DD

13. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

Jurassic Park the Mysterious Fossil specimen?

5future likes this.
  14. Quillon

Quillon Subatomic Cosmonaut

When is the unstable release?

15. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

Late to the party, but wow I'm actually rather surprised - this looks pretty damn cool :u Keep it up!

16. Blu Fish

Blu Fish Void-Bound Voyager

That is a really cool idea. A rare sun that you can only find by flying into it, holding great mysteries ;D

5future likes this.
  17. @ndy

@ndy Subatomic Cosmonaut

now that ithnk about it nobody is asking about the ovious things?
    like wormholes, oneside/two side movement over large distances,
    unstable wormholes! one sided flyght with change that you wont reach your destination and chance that itll be fall apart (i.e.) one/few time use
    Blackholes! for dangerous mining of antimatter and if happen to get sucked in god helps you...... or with around 1% chance that you actully surviv heavily dmged,and/or get some unwanted crew on ship
    Space anomalies! with various effects! from those helpfull to those that will make clone like thing of your self trying to replace you!
    small events! like comets(asteroid fields) passin by wich would gave you chance to to quickly gather some ress from who know where, and you would have to get out in time!
    Space Whales!....
    ok thats enough spam

18. Blu Fish

I like your ideas, it could bring some nice change to the game play. Don't want it to be like Pokemon when you just keep get annoying random encounters that break the games 'flow'.

19. Grubageddon

Well, considering a black hole would stretch you out into a single long strand (known as spaghettification) prior to ripping you apart at the molecular level then crushing all your bits and bobs into the marble-sized mass that constitutes its physical self, yeah. I'd say "heavily damaged" might be a bit of an understatement.

While black holes do have a certain "cool" factor, they're pretty hard to actually use in a video game.

20. Blu Fish

Maybe not blackholes then, some other dangerous 'thing' (moving asteroid I dunno)