What to expect from the next update, 1.0 and beyond

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2015
  2. Tatterdemalion

Tatterdemalion Phantasmal Quasar

Happy Halloween indeed! Most of this stuff has been discussed previously, but it's nice to see everything lain out in a concise fashion for everyone to read. Thanks for the hard work, devs, and happy Starbounding!

3. Johan

Johan Phantasmal Quasar

2 years or more...

RukasuSama, Vitaly and DigitizedSoul like this.
  4. TanzNukeTerror

TanzNukeTerror Ketchup Robot

More like "A few months", if updates get pushed out as fast as Chucklefish wants them to be.

I doubt it'll be "2 years or more", now that Chucklefish is all in one spot and working together. Especially considering how much of this stuff is already in the Nightly build.

5. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

The update looks solid some great changes ahead.

But the colony quests currently can only best be described as mundane.
    You are essentially suppose to be a pioneer - a leader of a colony.
    Currently the quest design is similar to the random monster generation - at best generic.
    Currently quests like;
    • Pass a note from NPC X to NPC Y
    • Get something from my Farm
    • Intimidate NPC - C
    You are suppose to be a colony leader not some kid in middle school passing notes around in class.
    The quests should feel more impactful to the survival of the colony.I don't believe there is time to develop such an indepth social interaction system where such "personal" quests will be possible in any way, that it self is a whole game by it self.

Instead quests should be geared toward a more simpler - Support the colony Win or Lose scenario.
    • Defend the colony - Win { colony doesn't die ) - You Lose ( Colony gets smaller \ dies )
    • Gather Supplies for Colony within a limited time frame - Win ( colony grows ) - Lose ( Your colony Shrinks ).
      • If you can't find \ gather supplies - you may end up having to buy them.
    • Gather unique items for the colony - Plague occurs you need to craft \ find \ buy medicine for the colonists.
      • Ideally - supplies should be limited in merchants, but otherwise unique items need to be in a high markup.
    • etc.
    That way you end up feeling at least like you are leading a colony.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  6. Hebephryo

Hebephryo Phantasmal Quasar

Poor screaming refrigerator.

7. Requiemsvoid

Requiemsvoid Void-Bound Voyager

Looks interesting.

Most notable to me:
    1. "Removal of all the current quests".
    2. "A new means of scanning and examining the world".

If what you mean to say is:
    1. "We're getting rid of these dumb fetch quests that are practically 100% luck based (can you find a world
    with the specific dungeon you need? does that dungeon, just so happen to have the actual item you're
    after from it? ~ IE: Golden Ducky/prison colony/ect).

2. We're also putting in a "probe" system (crafting?), that will allow you to scan planets for notable
    resources/structures/races. (Think Mass Effect)

Then awesome!

A side from that, what about a "Genesis" system for planets?
    *Think Terra-forming "barren planets" using your own materials.

IE: There would be a way to allow players to swap out (rewrite) the materials of a world or Maybe Recreate a world using something akin to a "World Seed".

*World Seed, could only be used on worlds that have been "harvested" (Harvested = all the blocks/materials get deleted from a world, leaving just the core).

*Could even use the "Harvesting" to create new "World Seeds" from the materials!

Thoughts?

8. Patrick Scott

Patrick Scott Void-Bound Voyager

I've left Starbound on the back burner for a while now but it's been nice to see the steady development and communication. Looking forward to these updates!

9. Johan

Johan Phantasmal Quasar

I'm waiting since first announce in december 2011, 4 years later is still in beta, i lost my hopes.

pd. sorry my bad english

10. SectionZ

SectionZ Void-Bound Voyager

"Hammers require a charge up"

Was I like, Prehistoric Stalin in a past life or something? What did we do to deserve this?

justbeast and King Leonidas like this.
  11. Torque

Torque Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG]
    Well, this one describes the best how I feel after reading this post. Really looking forward to Starbound 1.0

12. krapmyself

krapmyself Void-Bound Voyager

While not ideal, the combat update looks so much better than the current system.

TheyCallMePie and Electro Bro like this.
  13. Agoraphobian

Agoraphobian Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Can't wait for those fist weapons to be added!

Pugilist?
    Monk?
    Brawler?

Yes please.

14. darkmateo

darkmateo Void-Bound Voyager

Sounds exciting! I hope one of those updates also includes performance tweaks. I love playing Starbound, but only when the game wants to work. My game probably crashes 5-10 times per "session."

15. FloranAndHobbes

FloranAndHobbes Void-Bound Voyager

How come localizing the game to Poland gets its own update?

Heartstrings, Torque, blobjim and 7 others like this.
  16. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

looks awesomes

jasonzoo123 likes this.
  17. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

I just wish it was actually daily blog posts, not every so often. There was good steam going for a few weeks, having a blog post monday through friday, but now it feels so slow with some days not being given a blog post. Even if it's just showing the devs goofing around with ingame stuff and nothing new, it'd still be better. I also miss the streams. As uneventful as they were, it let us talk in real time to the devs. We got to see that you were still people.

That being said, we need the stuff on Nightly to be finished up. Those who don't do the unstable and nightly branches will fall in love with the new stuff already implemented. I mean, it already works just fine, even if it needs a bit more sprucing up (especially the generated quests. That's even worse than Todd Howard levels of "infinite" quests right now!).

The game is finally beginning to feel alive after all these years. Please don't lose the momentum!

Heartstrings, jessiebean and Khuur like this.
  18. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

You "lost [your] hopes" when the vast majority of Early Access games flopped and stopped development well before they remotely got to the point that Starbound is at?

Okay.

You should have been more confident, IMO.[DOUBLEPOST=1446324433][/DOUBLEPOST]
    They only post dev blogs when they have something interesting to show. It gets harder to do that when they are mostly polishing at this point.

19. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

There was a stream less than a week ago >_>

jessiebean likes this.
  20. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I see that the Spanish Inquisition isn't mentioned anywhere in the post, so it's safe to assume we shouldn't expect that.