30th September - Intimidating your colonists!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Sep 30, 2015.

1. mollygos submitted a new blog post:

30th September - Intimidating your colonists!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Ohhhh. What fun we can have with this. :nuruevil:

3. Quiqksilver

Quiqksilver Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Where is the Intimidate button? lol

dtanotrew, ArmorShy, Breakout and 3 others like this.
  4. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Time to quote "Peace through power!"?
    Now all I wish to do is be able to breach the door with explosives or something. How's that for intimidation if your front door simply stops existing :p

5. Megatroll

Megatroll Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Finally, something really interesting. I only hope that there will be "imitation" quests of Minecraft, but will be complex, but enough so that they can be performed without the need to resort to "not legitimate means (programs)". And will also tasks on time?

6. Nekobi

Nekobi Void-Bound Voyager

Wait... Sooo, NPCs will ask us to STEAL objects to build them a house? This is really awkward...

I really don't understand why you keep a gameplay where we have to destroy houses to build, where is the role-play? :eek:
    Can't we just learn blueprints? Crafting is important in Starbound, let's create a lot of recipes for furnitures and blocks, instead of stealing every inhabitants in the Universe. Stealing would be more like... For "Raider" player, who wants to steal treasures in old avian tombs or something like that, I think.

Anyway, I would love too see construction quests, not only the Colony Deeds than we can place. I always thought the Colony gameplay would be like you have NPCs that ask the player to build houses for them, a magical teleporter deed is... weird, according to me.
    I also want to see gathering quests, where you have to gather common materials for low-level quests, and/or rare things against a good reward! :D

7. GhostRaptor_8

GhostRaptor_8 Intergalactic Tourist

Bake a cake for my friend [placeholder] its his birthday:lickitung::cookie:

8. tccoxon

tccoxon Procedurally Generated Programmer

The stealing thing is more a reflection of the NPC's individual personality and quirkiness. It's part of the role-playing, The quest system also generates gathering quests, crafting, cooking, and farming quests. So it's not all about stealing, haha.

9. fluffysbeans

fluffysbeans Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, this right here is one of my top concerns. I understand finding specific biomes so that I can learn blueprints, but I don't like ripping out village floorboards for a few ornate wood blocks. I like the idea of gathering quests, but universe-wide block-hunts sound frustrating.

10. Vilion_Phoenix

Vilion_Phoenix Void-Bound Voyager

Welp, I guess this would be a good time to start working on my gag /commands, since I know I'll have more then one request for a /rollintimidate command coming from my players.

Axe Garian likes this.
  11. Izanagi00

Izanagi00 Void-Bound Voyager

intimidation huh? oh, i hope there's different ways to scare the stuffing out of npcs on those quests...

jasonzoo123 likes this.
  12. Nekobi

Oh, okay then, my bad, I didn't understand quite well x)
    Just, I was talking more about the fact that we have to steal houses everywhere to just have some furnitures, you know.

jasonzoo123, n1t3n and Axe Garian like this.
  13. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Yay, QUESTZZZZZ! I need moar qwestz!

Relten likes this.
  14. hellequin

hellequin Void-Bound Voyager

I think a good quest would involve obtaining specific items, such as furniture weapons, that's quite obvious though. I think instead of quests being grindy such as "collect 500 blue petals" which wouldn't be as engaging as something that would require the player to use their creativity, e.g: building a house with a particular theme for an NPC to move in to a colony or to build a trap and help defend against invaders, if of course that was to be a feature.

Just like to add this regarding using people's creativity: maybe there would be a standard for building particular building types and so a tower would be say 100 blocks high, 30 blocks wide and must include windows, a door, etc etc, or a torture chamber, a pool room, just different designated buildings or rooms which can be used as quests which require the player to build additional features in the colony.

15. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

Yet more progress to look forward to~

16. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

I like this fellow already!

You'd be absolutely TERRIFIED with how friendly I am. :devil::devil:
    As for types of quest? Can we have a quest chain that results in NPCs joining our crew?
    Also, a question:
    Does quests affect the planet where the quest giver resides?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  17. hellequin

hellequin Void-Bound Voyager

I also agree. I don't like the grindy aspect of scouring the universe for the particular block I want, but I also don't like cheating either.

Techgeniu, Axe Garian and Eternalmyst like this.
  18. PabloM

PabloM Pangalactic Porcupine

There could be a "scanner" function on the Matter Manipulator, that lets you "scan" blocks and other objects without having to pick them up.

19. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Unless im mistaken the dev's themselves have allredy mentioned functionality as such and that it may appear in the near(tm) future (at least for furniture, i dont think they mentioned blocks). Also, that it might be connected to the current inspect system somehow.

jasonzoo123 and Axe Garian like this.
  20. Nekobi

I think more about a searching table for the low-tiers, where you have to put the block you want and test different materials to find the true recipe, because a simple scanner would be to cheated, according to me.
    Maybe the scanner would be an unlockable thing in more high tiers, and would not be portable. Like the 3D printer in the ship, but maybe with more crafting materials than pixels.