17th September - Underground Parallaxes

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Supernorn, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Supernorn

Supernorn Starbound Artist and Parallax Pixel Pusher Chucklefish

Supernorn submitted a new blog post:

17th September - Underground Parallaxes

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

S.A.A., n1t3n, TheNarrator and 16 others like this.
  2. Streema

Streema Phantasmal Quasar

What should i say?
    Those parallaxes look absolutely gorgeous!
    This surely will turn the underground into something more interesting :D
    Do we also get different music for the underground?

3. icaruswinged

icaruswinged Void-Bound Voyager

I love them, as if the game couldn't be immersive enough this sure does take the cake!

Daldril likes this.
  4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

The new parallaxes look fantastic - especially with the lighting, things are starting to feel more alive.

5. SweenMachine

SweenMachine Big Damn Hero

Very cool, I'm liking the machinery/industrial themes! Will be interesting to see where you're going with them!

Ludovic and Daldril like this.
  6. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I hope the specific parralaxes shown here are tied to specific underground biomes instead of common. Having plain underground biomes with rock is good for regular underground exploration but having pipes in the background or random trees omnipresent would not be good for immersion. It would feel less like "we went underground" and more like "the surface is following us".

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    xan713, Imata, Morzan and 7 others like this.
  7. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Now, I have to search for remaining humans in the mines... Say, would some of the human bases underground get their Wrecked versions? It's kinda jarring to see many of them having functional USCM-esque aesthetics.

Ludovic and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  8. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

I really like where things are going with the paralaxes! The addition of additional mineshafts would probably be the only thing to make the underground even better. *gasp* living mineshafts built from the flesh and bone of flesh biomes should totally be a thing!

9. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

10. SelahJimm

SelahJimm Void-Bound Voyager

Parallaxes are really coming along well. I agree that certain parallaxes should only be present in certain biomes and mini-biomes, but the art and direction of these settings are really creating something iconic for Starbound.

xan713, Morzan, Ludovic and 1 other person like this.
  11. MindExplorer

MindExplorer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes, finally. The long awaited "derelict structures" and "sunken cultures" feeling the underground so much needed is coming along nicely. ;)

Ludovic, Hatsya Souji and Daldril like this.
  12. Kethus

Kethus Subatomic Cosmonaut

Similar things should be done for oceans. As someone from a few weeks ago said - go play Aquaria.

Runetora and Daldril like this.
  13. Breakout

Breakout Big Damn Hero

The new parallaxes are really well done. Little touches like this add a lot of enjoyment to the game.

Daldril likes this.
  14. Daldril

Daldril Subatomic Cosmonaut

As I said it before, this is just beautiful!
    YES! I was just thinking: how lovely/creepy flesh-layers now could get! Looking much forward to peel off the wall layers. Or ... does these parallexes mean, that - like in the pictures - there would be natural "open walls" to show the beauties you create for the background layers?
    Underground cave with water and crystals growing ... uuuuh, I wish this could become reality! :D

15. Beautiful! I love the idea of lush greenery underground, and like grass underground. Maybe you could do like mossy stuffs too. I would love to see some action in the background too, little things here and there like a biome with giant monster beasts fighting or something.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  16. Plex_Director

Plex_Director Pangalactic Porcupine

Those parallaxes are looking good! Keep 'em coming!

17. Hunter_J

Hunter_J Industrial Terraformer

They look like... cosmetic stuff...

18. Weylin

Weylin Void-Bound Voyager

Does this mean I'll be rewarded with a cool parallax instead of an unsightly hole when I mine out wall ores?

Oxidis likes this.
  19. Milly Rainbowskittlez

Milly Rainbowskittlez Cosmic Narwhal

When?! >:O I DEMAND TO KNOW WHEN!

but no seriously. i cant wait for this >....> so many little things that have been needed, and some of which that i didnt even know i needed.. like these paralaxes.
    hgkoljlkfdsh;ohlok;ajf;orsfdek;lfrntkiog sukin i hasnt been this excited for something in sturbound for awhile. i keep pushing off playing til i get these paralaxes, because i want to know how they work out in my underground portion of the base!

20. ScienceSlasher

ScienceSlasher Void-Bound Voyager

just another thing that makes this game my favorite!