1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback 1.3 Feedback

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Darkwhip, Jun 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Darkwhip

Darkwhip Subatomic Cosmonaut

Here is a post to comment about the update 1.3.

I'll start first.

Mechs:

I think it's sad how you can't call your mech at anytime from where you are. I believe it would be much more better if the mech "call" button was always present depending on where you are.. Right now, if we want to go mining on an asteroid or a planet with the Mech, we can't beam with the mech to a flag or beam pad. We need to beam on the planet and then re-do the whole path back to the mine and thus depleting some of the mech energy which could be used for mining.

At some point, I wonder why they didn't use the nanonite balls for spawning the mech while I agree it's cool to beam down in your mech.

Mining with a mech:

Mining with a mech should be encouraged over the matter manipulator I believe. Right now, mining with a mech is less efficient than a matter manipulator according to my observations and yes I did try both the drill and the mining laser. I could literally just use the mech for space driving and get out and use my fully upgraded matter manipulator to mine more efficiently and that doesn't use energy. I don't know for you but I think it makes way more sense to mine with a big machine than just a small gadget.

In my opinion, these features are awesome but they lack ergonomics and some balance if compared to the matter manipulator.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  2. Photoloss

Photoloss Industrial Terraformer

Sadly they nerfed the mining beam's combat use, otherwise its range would actually have been nice for those mining asteroids with ores or crystals. Still no idea why they implemented mechs the way they did, both the coding and the gameplay. You'd need some roundabout way to swap parts and to choose which mech you use with the deployment button but nothing you couldn't do with a mod.

3. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

I just started a game to test the waters and already my game doesn't seem to keep up as monsters seem to freeze up and then teleport ontop of me. I don't know if it is my system getting old or not but I don't think I'm going to have much fun if this is going to be consistent.

FlyingFloran likes this.
  4. DRIFTER44

DRIFTER44 Space Spelunker

i have played for about 2 hours so far of this update,even tho i have beaten the game and got almost every item in the game,but i past both of the penguins little quest and have found that finding new parts like arms, legs and etc for the mech are very tedious and are NOT common at all to find, unless im doing something wrong, i spent about a hour flying to the friendly ships/ enemy space stations and what not and have not found hardly anything. I have not got a chance to try out building my own space station tho.

5. Kajima

Kajima Phantasmal Quasar

Mech customization is lackluster. End game, you'll be tied to one of the 8-stat'd Mech bodies while leaving the rest of the mech bodies to be useless. The only real customization for now is the Color, but even that is kinda limited.

How I'd fix this would be to separate the current slot [Mech Body] to 2 new slots instead:

1. Mech core
    This will be where the Energy and Defense stats will be located. As a possible reason why Defense should be on it, let's say it deploys an invisible barrier that mitigates some of the damage you'll be receiving. The new item's name would be tied to the materials used for it:

- Salvaged Core (the basic one)
    - Proton Core (separate names for stat distribution, so let's say... the 3 Energy (E) 1 Defense (D) would be Empowered Proton Core, 2 E 2 D would be Stable Proton Core, 1 E 3 D would be Reactive Proton Core (lost any creativity here with the name, but CF could probably come up with something better)
    - Nano Core (same prefix scheme with the Proton Cores)

2. Mech frame
    This will only change the appearance of the Mech. The current Mech Bodies will be converted to this item slot.

So, now we have the freedom to choose which aesthetic to use for our mechs, without being held back by the stats.

- equip the Nano core (any stat distribution you prefer)
    - equip a Mech frame (my personal favorite the Hylotl starter one, USCM, Cultist, or any other mech style you would prefer using)

Crafting costs can be adjusted accordingly. (1/2 of current Mech Body cost for core, other half for mech frame, maybe?)

I think this could apply to Mech Weapons as well, but that's for another time.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  6. VaeliusNoctu

VaeliusNoctu Pangalactic Porcupine

I found a new Legendary ranged Weapon Plasma Assault Rifle. Im happy that they add too some new stuff

7. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

Are the novakid supposed to sound like humans?

8. Engiepie

Engiepie Void-Bound Voyager

Im gonna just.. shamefully copy/paste what i said on steam, albeit with alot of revision. I just feel like these things should be addressed. And yes, this IS constructive feedback, not a complaint.

Its certainly a step in the right direction, but im not necessarily sure i agree with its execution.

The 'room' system for stations is rather frustrating. Once you place rooms, they cant be removed. Make a mistake or want to remodel the station? You're just downright out of luck.

The inability to modify or even repaint your hull makes it very hard to build something stylized and unique. Want to add some Hull scuffs or some depressurized rooms that took some astroids/shipfire? Want to add a bit of rock/debris around in the area? Want to live inside a giant Astroid? Want to add some windows in the foreground? Cant do it :(

Many rooms connect in ways you might not like, and there is nothing you can do about that but work around it and hope it looks okay or grows on you.

Rooms leave rather wasteful gaps of open space between each neighboring room. You cannot fill any of these gaps. In fact, you cannot do anything with them. This brings the function and practicality of space stations as a living space/hub into question, as opposed to just some planet-side base with a couple of turrets flung around.

Onto Mechs. Mechs are a little rough around the edges themselves.

Why can't we have Armor and Energy as separate bars?

Not many different enemy types to fight. Why don't we see mechs from the other ship? Where are them Penguin fighters/warships, son!?

I find myself wanting something more out of the mech parts system.In particular, I feel like you should be able to make more choices regarding cosmetics.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  9. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

funny part is I did 4 extreme sites with the basic mech and 2 times basic guns got the hero head 2x that skull head and the beam laser arm. I cna yet not build a single one of them sicne i may have like 20%% of the materials to build just ONE. It's not exciting or thrilling as a feature and I don't feel motivated to even go further as ther eis nothing special to achieve with doing so except having a fully customiseable worthles mech. RNGsus all the way when you don't know how to design your game.

They could at leats make the mech parts upgradeable in tiers to make the palyer choose the deisgn they want. But nooo, not even this.

generally I say for stations: remove ANY part construction rule and add a kind of bachground block like the ships true background. and everytime the character is in front of such a block apply gravity. Then players can deisgn and build stations the way thy want.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017