Dev Blog 1.1.1 - Changelog

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Boltstorm

Boltstorm Space Hobo

I apologize for my English, but can add to the game function or seller to be the player chooses to change the shape, appearance and possibly properties of weapons?

2. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

Bizarre. The pixels are identical? How does that even work?

3. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Image (and text!) formats will usually include "useless" data, extra data that isn't needed. It sounds like these programs remove this data from the files.

I know for a fact from experience, you can take a 5kb rich text document, and if you save it to MS Word format, that same file could be upwards of 50kb because it adds all kinds of extra stuff like header/footer/author information, and lots of other junk you normally don't need unless you actually intend on printing said document, and even so, you still don't really need it lol.

bk3k, Titanium and DragonsForce like this.
  4. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

5. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Or, alternative example: a plaintext file with only English in it will have eight bits to the character. If you save only the first seven, you lose nothing; a 1,000-character text would go from 8,000 bits (1,000 bytes) down to 7,000 bits (875 bytes if I did this right).

More practically, PNG files. Starbound's PNG images are 32-bit RGBA format. There's a chunk to state the pixel dimensions and that it's RGBA32, and a chunk with (this part simplified a lot) H*W 32-bit values, one for each pixel, which is then compressed not unlike a ZIP file. Now, the majority of SB images are actually only about 15 colors tops, plus a single level of transparency. What the crunchers do is, they detect these two facts and consider that 8-bit Indexed format is better. They produce a palette chunk with all 15 or fewer colors found in the image, plus a dummy to represent the transparent parts. Then they add a transparancy chunk to say that that one color is fully transparent, and rewrite the image data as H*W 8-bit values. Which is then, again, compressed. As tightly as they can. Even with the added overhead of the palette and transparancy chunks, the result is usually so much smaller. And yet, when you load the original and crunched versions and inspect every single pixel, you will see no difference.

(Edit: simplified in that the image data has another PNG-specific layer of compression to it, can be not compressed at all, and a 16-color image resolves to two pixels to the byte instead of one to one.)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  6. Guest7278

Guest7278 Lucky Number 13

id like to say this game is awesome and everything and i got it on steam but can you fix the lags. I cant get off the ship in the beginning of the game. It lags a lot and takes me 10 minuets to reboot S.A.I.L cause its slow for me and i have a great computer all. I just want to play this game with no lags or slowness. But great game you made i like the graphics and all.

SentientSupper, Flake13 and Titanium like this.
  7. Psygnosis

Psygnosis Ketchup Robot

If you have a " great " PC it's improbable that you can't play Starbound and have those lags...

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I've heard of a bug that makes even ridiculously good computers run the game at 10 FPS, supposedly. *shrug* I think it is more their computer that's the problem (or something installed on it) but meh.

9. Gotcha!

Gotcha! Pangalactic Porcupine

Doubtful. If I can run GTA 5 and The Witcher 3 on high settings (which I can), why would Starbound perform so poorly on my pc? Poor programming.
    Sure, every pc is different, so it's undoubtly not easy to create a program that runs on as many different hardware setups as possible, but I do wish CF would try a bit harder.

10. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

And yet, it runs great on my several years old laptop.

11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I'm running a computer that is 4 years old. It's got a 3.5Ghz 6-Core, 16GB of RAM, and a GTX 660. Not exactly wimpy, but it's showing its age. It runs SB at a solid 60 FPS, and I get about 45 at the Outpost. That's with full zoom out (without modding it). I can get almost 60 at the outpost if I have middle zoom.

Something in your PC does not agree with SB is most likely the problem.

Oh, and I use Windows7 64-bit, not that buggy spyware-laden mess that is Windows 10. I'm glad I had misgivings about Win10 right before the update went live and I said "Eh, I'll wait on this".

Thank God I did.

12. Psygnosis

Psygnosis Ketchup Robot

I have an i7-2600k @ 4,1ghz ( oc ), 8gb ram, GTX 760 OC 4gb and it runs perfectly with WIndows 10 ( not that bugged and " spyware-laden " , it runs smootly than win7 ) and no issues.

Probably those who got those 10 minutes lag or can't run Starbound, have a mass colony of Trojans, spyware stuff, etc etc.... it's the same thing happened with Overwatch to a dude I know, same lags, high memory usage, 10 fps in game... he had no antivirus and such, with a scan ( told him to use X programs to remove bad things ) he found to have 438582039748907582 ( random high number ) viruses and other things that messed up his pc :D He fixed it after that

Or just have a crap Pc back from the stone age...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  13. iLawon

iLawon Intergalactic Tourist

little tip:

Work for more Bosses & some new Items = Good game = Populärity = More money

np :)

14. Thee Pie Man

Thee Pie Man Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thank goodness, was afraid I was going to have to go recapture every monster I already had collected.

15. RaduDevil

RaduDevil Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Can you please fix the tooltip is anoyng if you what to the dps of the wapans is going offscreen.

16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I wouldn't hold my breath on that to be honest. No offense, but we've been complaining about this for years and it still ain't fixed.

17. Gotcha!

Gotcha! Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, I can't argue there. Ever since I installed Windows 10 I did see a decline in some games' performances. I sincerely regret making that free upgrade.

18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Have you researched ways of removing the Microsoft-approved Spyware?

Win10 is so laden with spyware, that you need advanced tutorials to remove all that junk. That's probably what's decreasing your performance, or at least a part of it (assuming you haven't already removed that junk that is).

19. Sentelin

Sentelin Subatomic Cosmonaut

Honestly, it's simple stuff. You just need to know where to look . Actually, you don't even need that, there is an automatised software that does all heavy lifting for you, and the best part it's free http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/destroy_windows_10_spying.html

20. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Getting a tad off-topic, guys.