Dev Blog 1.0.5 - Changelog

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I have 8GB RAM, Core i7 at 2.70Ghz twice over, an on-board Intel and a GeForce GT 525M, running Windows 7 Home Premium 64, all updates save the "get 10" bullcrap. I have plenty things running in the back -- Steam, Skype, mIRC, Opera 12, Foobar... During the beta, I'd get a good FPS, around 50 to 60 in most cases, and it'd drop to a choppy 20 to 30 in the Outpost. To my surprise, the Grand Pagoda was better measured in seconds per frame. This eventually became better, and I basically go no lower than 40 all through the game. My window is 1329 by 745, and I play at 2x zoom.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

2.70Ghz Dual-Core and half the RAM I do, but with lots of stuff running in the background... sounds like you get about the same performance I do, considering the differences between our systems. I assume you run windowed?

EDIT: Kinda surprised you got better performance during Beta than I did....maybe Beta just ran like crap on multi-core machines?

3. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Why assume? 1329 by 745 doesn't strike me as a fullscreen res :nurutease:

4. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I gett considerable slowdowns in performance on my machine. Beneficial slowdowns, but slowdowns still. does making the window smaller improve it?

5. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Less stuff to render. Same with zooming in. You could try a window the size of your screen at 3x.

6. thogrinn

thogrinn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

For me, here's my rig :

- E5200 2.5Ghz OC3Ghz (9 years old processor),
    - 8Go ram DDR3,
    -AMD R7 250 1Go,
    - Win10 Pro 64Bits

The game runs fine in 1080p (i've limited fps to 30 to avoid my CG fan to become a plane reactor :nurusick:) ; But, sometimes, the FPS goes down. I restart the game and all runs fine again ; Especially in the Apex main quest dungeon. Tried to reduce rez and zoom, but i think the game needs a little bit more optimisation (it's nearly perfect). I'm about playing 200+hrs from 1.0 and it's awesome ; No crashes, no bugs etc...

Have fuuuuuuuun !!! :nuruflirt::nuruhype:

7. Ian

Ian Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ive played through a few times and have yet to find any of that, other than a lock on Hytotl cities

8. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

You haven't found an apex lab? How did you get to the ruin without encountering it at least once?

9. endertrot

endertrot Cosmic Narwhal

So, uhm, it seems that the latest steam update has broken something, as the game cant connect to steam and wont load any workshop mods. Can we get a hotfix for this? Please?

10. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

I hate to say it but for me it works totally fine (win10 64bit). :/

~ Iris ~

11. endertrot

endertrot Cosmic Narwhal

Okay, this is odd, but its working again. Maybe Steam fixed the problem on their end?

12. Iris Blanche

That's possible. Starbound only access the steam api for having access to the necessary data. It's highly possible that it was something with steam itself.

~ Iris ~

13. Parah

Parah Space Hobo

Based on the replies so far, both xylia and jareix used to have lag issues, and now don't. That speaks to me of emotional investment in the build that works for them.

I used to not have lag, and now I do.

Guys, if it's such a small thing in your world to buy a new computer for a game, then buy me one. I will rescind all complaints about lag even if it still lags (as it seems just buying new equipment may not solve the problem.)

Somebody - not going to get personal about this specific statement, because I'm now even more upset and being generic helps defuse that - mentioned that I might be looking at a lag issue that is unrelated to my own and using that as evidence. No. I'm not that stupid, and I've been playing this game for years now, this is the first time I've even posted on the board, I did not do so without doing my research. So take your insufferable attitudes and opinions and shuffle off. THIS IS A WIDE-RANGING, RECENTLY INTRODUCED, GAME ENGINE PROBLEM, IT WILL NOT BE FIXED BY THROWING MONEY AT IT.

I haven't even posted my full specs, because I don't need to. If the devs fix the problem other people are complaining about, I know - because I did my research - that mine will be fixed too. But, if it helps, somebody else in a thread about this issue posted a screenshot with my exact GPU specs, right next to somebody else who posted a screenshot with a monster graphics card (something like 16gb) who was posting about the same problem.

Edit: unless you throw a lot of money at it, that might work. From what I've seen, might have to go through a few different variations of gaming-build computer to get one without lag, even, so get your wallet ready. If buying a new computer is something you can easily do, I repeat: buy me one. And when that one doesn't work, I won't complain, I'll just quietly go play something else. Or if you aren't willing to do that then go away and let me voice my own user experience without your outrageously dismissive attitudes.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    Hatsya Souji and Anuril like this.
  14. Parah

Parah Space Hobo

At this point, being quiet isn't good enough, so I take it back. Both Xylia and Jareix were rude and condescending, and completely derailed the topic. I want a straight-up apology, sans 'explanations' of why they're right and I'm a horrible person for not having a pc that the 1.0 and above builds don't work on.

I've never been this furious about a software support forum in my life. I've got half a mind to ask for my money back, except that as far as I know neither Xylia nor Jervaix are devs or really have anything to do with the game, except for being forum trolls.

15. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Then I apologize on our behalves if that is how we came off as... But what else are we supposed to say? You want the devs to rewrite the gaming engine in a way that does not work for a majority of the users playing starbound. I for one cannot see that as a reasonable request from a business perspective. And regarding optimization for the more capable systems, they're probably working on that as we speak. If it is the exact same engine issue you are suffering from, and is subsequently fixed, great! I'm happy you can enjoy the game! I understand you are outraged by this, but I don't know how else to put it. I'm sorry. We weren't trying to say you were a horrible person at all. But at this point you seem to be simply arguing to attack us. I'm not sure if that is the case, because I am not you, but that is how I personally interpret your most recent responses. Forgive us for continuing this argument for far too long. I hope you understand, I'm not trying to dismiss you or put you on the defensive. But if that is what I did, then I will repeat what I said. I am sorry.

Anuril likes this.
  16. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Guys, please keep it civil. Issues happen, unfortunately, and when they do it's only proper to try and help those affected if you're able. But at the same time, if someone's rude to you, don't stoop to their level. Being rude won't achieve anything.

17. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

If i play with 40 mod and no problem even a x1 zoom (modded too) , people should be able to play the game normally IMO.

But yeah sometime some people try to run a game on a laptop (or on a notebook...) and after they cry (in general) , we can see a lot of these people on youtube comment , on every game.

Also when i read things like "they do that for money" i find that sad and funny in the same time , go check Trove , go check Spiral Knight , go check Allods , because if you said that from starbound so you must be new on internet...these game die because when they update the game it's for the cash shop , while player wait for basic fix since some years.

Of cours my actual PC have 8g ram , but my old had 512m ram and i've play to many game for around 8 years with it , even when requirement ask 2g mini and 4g for "good" perf.

18. Iris Blanche

You should keep in mind that not everyone has the same specs like you have.

What's wrong about running a game on a laptop or notebook as long as it met the requirements. Sure they don't bring the performance like a desktop pc but still...as long as the requirements are met why not?

You're comparing free2play games with starbound? >v< Well i must admit that it does indeed fit with the "they do that for money" - problem but that's all. As a sidenote (and offtopic): Free2play games need to somehow make money to keep their server up. Problem is that the shop system is mostly getting from first optional to later required (pay2win). That's why it has bad reputation. (just my 2 cents about this >v< )

Then you were lucky and i suppose your pagefile had a ridicilous big size. Which OS had you used on that machine? I'm curious.

~ Iris ~

19. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

I was on window vista at the begining , and i'v take window10 in beta before he came out (still on W10 atm).

And about laptop/notebook i've say that cuz for me its like try to emulate a psp on a gba x)

Anyways I can't understand how people can complains about the game or staff here , they arent greedy and work well and they didnt give up since the beta , even the 1.0 trailer make cry people lol

(i dont understand what you mean by pagefile ^^)

20. Iris Blanche

Laptops/Notebooks today have really neat performance and are capable to run a lot of games though.
    As for the pagefile: I hope it's the right link: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Manager_Subsystem I'm not very good at french (yep i stalked ya profile >v< ) but i think this should explain a bit about the said file.

~ Iris ~