Dev Blog 1.0.4 - Changelog

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Kazzerk

Kazzerk Seal Broken

People with opengl 2.0 error, try this video. --> This fix work for my friend with the error, and now we can play together! :D

Axe Garian likes this.
  2. Caelorum

Caelorum Subatomic Cosmonaut

But are they? I've seen plenty reports about the OpenGL 2.0 issue, and all they've said is "update your drivers", like it's our fault their system requirements say DirectX and our drivers don't support OpenGL 2.0. Not a lot of "hey we're working on it", more of "yeah just update your drivers and if that doesn't work then.....we'll just ignore the topic".

3. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

There are ways to update your drivers and get OGL support.

Unless of course you got a dinosaur computer so old that it just isn't capable of supporting it, then... well, what do you want CF to do about it, exactly? Continue supporting obsolete hardware?

I've got, somewhere in my house, an old WinXP-era Athlon single-core processor and motherboard to match with I think 2GB of RAM. Should I complain to CF that Starbound won't run on that machine?

There's a point in time where you simply have to accept that you need to update.

And someone above posted a video on how to jury-rig OGL even if you can't normally do it, even.

4. Keichan

Keichan Void-Bound Voyager

And all i wanted as an update on the lo fps framerate issues since lauch......

Guess i will just wait a few more years until it hits ps4 i guess : (

Lord Sinclair likes this.
  5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

OpenGL 2.0 was released in 2004. If your system doesn't support it, then you seriously need to consider an upgrade.

@Xylia I know we've had our disagreements on various issues, but you hit the nail square on the head. You can't expect chucklefish to support aged hardware.

Axe Garian and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  6. OrbitalChili

OrbitalChili Scruffy Nerf-Herder

We're talking about a heck of a bug though. Not the occasional crash or some unintended glitch while the game still technically runes.
    A "bug" where an untold fraction of the userbase can't play it in 64-bit mode if at all.

A "bug" that was basically identified and dealt with around this month last year - the bug of needing Visual Studio C++ 2015.

The problem is that it's hardly been mentioned outside from the pretend fix thread in Support. That did not solve the issue for most people, other issues compound either an inability to get Service Pack 1 or an inability to install Visual Studio C++ despite that or an inability of the game to launch despite having both of the prior ones.

People just want at least to be aware that the Staff is aware of the problem and is actually trying to fix it - which dare I say would be the same thing they did last time: abandoning the need for Visual Studio C++ 2015 and actually dealing with DirectX.

OpenGL worked before the 1.0 update.

The problem is for, at least windows users, issues of Visual Studio C++ 2015 not installing or functioning properly despite hitting all the expected checkmarks of what should make it work.

7. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Did you guys start a thread, and collaborate to try to figure out what exactly is causing the "Extremely Low FPS Bug" that I keep hearing about?

I've heard a few others saying that it runs at extremely low FPS, but to be honest, I've not run into that problem myself, and many others can play just fine. It isn't CF's end, but rather yours. You either have an outdated computer (which is funny because mine's almost 5 years old...), or you are missing driver updates, or perhaps something like the VC2015 issue some people are having.

The fact that it runs on the majority of peoples' computers but not yours should point to the fact that your computer is the problem, or rather, some bit of software on your computer that doesn't like the game. The only thing CF can really do is slap a bandaid on there to try to work around the problem or do some googling and tell you how to fix it on your end (which they tried doing, it works for some but not others).

The core game is fine -- it runs on many computers just fine.

Those computers that can't run the game have problems, like outdated hardware, outdated drivers, missing software dependencies, etc. That's not CF's domain to fix. The best they can do is either write code in the game's engine to work-around the problem, or tell you how to fix it on your own end. Both of which they have tried to do.

I don't want to sound uncaring, blunt or harsh, but there's a point in time that you should come to the realization that the problem really is on your end and not theirs. Find other people with similar issues and see if you can nail down similarities between your computer and theirs and you will eventually find what's causing it.

EDIT:

Most likely they updated the engine and it requires stuff you simply don't have... maybe it requires a 64-bit computer? Maybe it requires (insert other thing here) that you don't have? Either way, asking them to revert large changes to the engine is just not feasible. Glad Giraffe ran like a turtle on most peoples' computers, and 1.0 runs far, far, far smoother for us who don't have problems. I don't think they're suddenly going to revert back to poorly optimized spaghetti code so that older computers can continue to run the game.

Axe Garian, Tiakatt, Wazamaga and 4 others like this.
  8. endertrot

endertrot Cosmic Narwhal

Did the issue where players would be immediately be beamed back to their ship because the world cant be loaded fast enough get fixed? Because id like to actually play the game again......

9. Caelorum

You're missing the point. THE REQUIREMENTS SAY DIRECTX, which the computer fully supports. Not OpenGL 2.0, I bought a product I was told would work. It doesn't. And I'm getting no response from the developers.
    --- Post updated ---
    You're missing the point. THE REQUIREMENTS SAY DIRECTX, which the computer fully supports. Not OpenGL 2.0, I bought a product I was told would work. It doesn't. And I'm getting no response from the developers.

10. lazarus78

Delete that world file and try again. It only does that if something is broken on a world, and a patch wont directly resolve it without clearing out the bad data.

11. Caelorum

12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

You can get OGL2 support on nearly any modern computer, though.

And the Steam Info was written prior to 1.0, maybe they didn't update it yet?

Who knows. But to be honest, again, they decided to go with OGL2 for some reason, maybe it performs better in their engine, whatever. Maybe there's a reason why DX is not feasible for the game.

Yeah, sure, they should change their Steam Page to specify that the game is now OGL2 instead of DX, but again... why not just get OGL2 support?

Tiakatt likes this.
  13. Demogarose

Demogarose Subatomic Cosmonaut

adjusted up, or down?

14. MasterPredator

MasterPredator Void-Bound Voyager

Could you revert that, or at least put the option to change that in the menu or config file? Deselecting hands now gives no benefit as there is no R/L slots and NPCs don't attack when you have weapons out, and accidentally deselecting in combat is really annoying and can result in getting killed.

samv, Tiakatt and BlueDragon like this.
  15. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

What a time to be alive, people!

16. endertrot

endertrot Cosmic Narwhal

... You've posted the exact same thing three times already, what the heck? I know it must be annoying, but you're just copy pasting....

DragonsForce and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  17. lazarus78

Delete that world file and try again. It only does that if something is broken on a world, and a patch wont directly resolve it without clearing out the bad data.

18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

No, he's doubleposting because of 30+ second LAG on CF forums randomly every 5-10 minutes or so.

Sometimes you click "Post" and nothing happens, 10 seconds later you're thinking that maybe you didn't actually click the button so you click again......etc.

19. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

Whenever this happens to me ,my cursor was on the beam down button and the game stuttered, so that it actually got re-clicked as soon as i reached the planet. Try moving your cursor immediately after clicking the beam down button.

Works for me at least.

20. endertrot

endertrot Cosmic Narwhal

Ah, ok. That makes sense.