Dev Blog 1.0.3 - Changelog

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jul 29, 2016.

1. ecotrocal

ecotrocal Space Spelunker

Please tell me the crew members gathering around the teleporter bug is fixed with 1.0.3.

2. lornlynx

lornlynx Cosmic Narwhal

Infirito likes this.
  3. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Terraria runs two seperate modes for SP and Multiplayer, Starbound runs the same routines during both Single AND Multiplayer. You are running a server even if you are running "Singleplayer". see the "/admin" commands and the "Add person to party" button being present in Singleplayer.

4. lornlynx

lornlynx Cosmic Narwhal

While true, this gives no reason as why there shouldn't be a pause function. In a pause function, all calculations are halted by the gameserver.
    I kinda don't expect it to be included, or not fast at least, as I'd guess there would be a lot of stuff to rewrite. But the lack of it is really one of the most lacking feature in the game.

5. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Well aren't you the surprisingly satisfied one... I think there are better things to be concerned with than adding a pause menu to the game... (Hotbar anyone?)

DragonsForce likes this.
  6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, see, the thing is they need to add it in such a way that it is not exploitable. Terraria did this because they knew there was no way to exploit a pause function in single-player. But in Starbound, when you can (seemingly?) go from Singleplayer to Multiplayer on the fly by inviting someone in (correct me if I'm wrong on this), there's no way for the game to differentiate whether you are on Singleplayer or Multiplayer mode because they both use the same routines. Singleplayer is basically "Hosting a Server but Playing By Yourself".

There is no "Singleplayer" in Starbound from the looks of it.

Now they COULD add a "If people connected to server =1" but then what happens if you have it set up and give your IP etc out and someone else tries to join the game while you are paused?

EDIT: And besides, you can always "pause" by typing /admin and building a box around yourself. Heal yourself to full, eat food until you are well-fed and then type /admin while building a box around yourself.

You won't hunger, you can't die even if a mob that can go through walls spawns, and you'll be totally fine. Do /admin again when you're ready to play again.

If you're on Casual, you don't even need to do that; JUST building a box around yourself should work as even wall-piercing ghost enemies STILL need line of sight to go into attack mode and they will ignore you. They'd have to pretty much accidentally fly straight into you.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  7. lornlynx

lornlynx Cosmic Narwhal

Just give only the server-owner the right to pause, easy.
    --- Post updated ---
    I follow the game since the kickstarter, it is just mostly disappointing for me to see that they didn't bother to code a pause function in those > 3 years.

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Obviously if you started a "Singleplayer" game, you are obviously the host.

The problem arises is when people try to exploit the pause feature by doing stuff like inviting people to join the server/game/whatever while paused.

Because....... it's not really needed?

Terraria added a pause system, because there are MANY enemies that can attack you through walls. Starbound has..... what, again, 4-5 enemies I can think of that can do this? And again, they need Line of Sight even if they are capable of going through walls. Building a dirt box around yourself makes you 99% safe wherever you are. The only times you can't do this:

Fuel Moons
    Missions
    Survival (use /admin so you don't starve)

We don't need a pause function because this is so easy to do.

9. lornlynx

lornlynx Cosmic Narwhal

If it is coded correctly there should be no issues whatsoever.

That's a pretty weak argument. First there are some huge differences between that "hack" and a real pause function, you have to build a dirtwall, instead of just pressing Escape, you need to have some seating with you so you don't loose hunger, everything with time keeps running, so you will loose stimpack and food buffs, other things outside of your influences keep going on, enemies might attack NPC's, NPC's might leave or die meanwhile, a meteor shower might start during your hacked pausetime, and you can't use it in dungeons and mission.
    Second, no, only because something is comparatively easy to do doesn't remove the lack of the real thing. Efficiency is a thing, everywhere, and just because something could be done with more effort shouldn't mean that making it better is out of question.

Anyways, I, and many other people miss a pause function. If you don't, that's fine, but there is not much valid argument you could bring as to why a pause function wouldn't be a good thing.

10. Nemo1989

Nemo1989 Void-Bound Voyager

Lets say i will be giving birth soon. I could call 911(or something like that if its not usa) and make my life alot easier, i could also try to drive myself to the hospital or even catch a taxi, or even seek an assistance from local witch. But you are suggesting that i don't really need all those comforts and that i should just deliver the baby myself, alone at my home, just coz mother nature made sure that i am able to do so.

Pingeh likes this.
  11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

If you were about to give birth, IMO, the first thing I would do is hit escape and click "Save & Quit" or just hit Alt+F4 because the game immediately saves what you were doing.

In fact....

Why can't THAT be used to "pause" the game? The game saves where you are standing down to the exact coordinates. The only time you can't do that is in a mission, but still, are you seriously going to let the game paused for several days while you go deliver your baby or whatever it is you need to do?

This is especially true on Windows 7 (and I assume Win10) where it prefetches programs. The game will boot up much faster when you come back to play again and your character will be standing there, same buffs, same everything, same spot.

djchrisblue and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  12. Nemo1989

Wow, you are unable to comprehend a metaphor. Sad.

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

That, or you just chose an incredibly bad example. *shrugs*

Either way, Save&Quit will pause the game just fine if you're in Singleplayer.

When you start the game back up, you will be at pretty much the same condition as you left it -- standing in the same spot, same hunger, same health, same buffs, etc. The only time it doesn't work is in missions (plan ahead? Don't go on a mission if you know you might need to AFK suddenly?) and even if it did happen in a mission... dunno about missions from mods, but most vanilla missions are rather short. So you gotta start the mission over, big whoop.

DragonsForce likes this.
  14. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Honestly, it's a pretty bad example. It's not even a metaphor really, more of an allegory. Giving birth playing a videogame are two very different things. There's a very different level of urgency with childbirth, and with SB. I mean, Xylia is right in that a pause function, while convenient, isn't absolutely necessary when you can just save and quit. Saves buffs too last I checked. It's less of "whether or not we should have the convenience of a pause feature", and more "how the hell can it be added without being exploited?!"

DragonsForce likes this.
  15. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I think it actually refreshes buffs, lol. But that's a minor nitpick unless you're the ultra Dark Souls hardcore player.

I remember S&Q after talking to Tonoauac or whatever his name is, I had a Speed Buff that was like 75% left on its duration, did a S&Q and logged back on an hour or so later and my Speed Buff was at 100% left. I dunno if the game took the time off the speed buff and it's just showing 100% left, or it actually refreshed. That would need to be tested, lol.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  16. Nemo1989

Allegory is an extended metaphor. Of course giving birth and playing a videogame are very different things. Just like our universe is very different from a stage of an actual theater.
    As for "different level of urgency" - Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god - i personally would debate that if one kills 1000k people, he still would remain a murderer, but some would agree in calling him a conqueror.
    So yes, i agree that the pause function, while convenient, isn't absolutely necessary when you can just save and quit, just like a woman can give a birth on her own.

17. Ky Shishigami

Ky Shishigami Void-Bound Voyager

Having a pretty massive problem with starbound at the moment and I'm 100% certain it's thanks to this update.

Starting a new character and getting to the first planet's gate, the game will instantly crash upon opening and closing the gate UI (the one that asks for 20 planet cores).
    Ran verify game cache, tried with vanilla races, removed all mods, nothing can bypass it.

Running it on OSX version 10.11 and have been able to run starbound fine since its earliest days.
    I'm not the only one with this problem, right?

18. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

It's just interesting to me, why the choice of Techs become so poor?

Pingeh likes this.
  19. Dyguren

Dyguren Void-Bound Voyager

I can confirm this! same here, using 10.11. Game crashes on character when opening the gate for the first time. ALSO, there is a HUGE issue with the game crashing ENTIRELY when you close the Tech machine at the Outpost. I heard there are problems too with the fossils and minigames. But the Tech machine makes your game crash TOTALLY. Can't progress on quest nor anything because of this. This needs to be fixed in order for Mac Users to be able to play the rest of the game, Chucklefish!!!

20. xerxerbreak

xerxerbreak Poptop Tamer

can you fix the low fps on singleplayer? its getting slower and slower for me to play

ErebusAmauro and Lord Sinclair like this.