Dev Blog 1.0.2 - Memory leak fix!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Methan

Methan Space Hobo

Sorry if this isn't the correct place to make this post:

I died. Lost 10% of pixels. Watched myself revive. Spawned back and my ship was not visible. I was standing on nothing in the atmosphere. I waited 30 seconds. Tapped D and began plummeting. I eventually fizzled out and died. Lost 10% of my pixels. Watched myself revive. Then it was fine. No damage happened besides pixel loss. This has only happened once. Just wanted to report this!

2. asomeman2

asomeman2 Void-Bound Voyager

So now that Starbound is officially released does this mean that you guys will start work on porting the game to other consoles?

3. Luos_83

Luos_83 Void-Bound Voyager

I am on 1.02 and the leak still persists for me.
    Whenever I play Starbound for a while my 32gb just fills up slowly until its at 99% and I need to reboot my computer.
    Crashing out/exiting out of starbound keeps my ram filled to the brim.

This is after I close starbound, and the combined memory of whats currently running shouldnt even be 10% of what I have.

[​IMG]

Lord Sinclair likes this.
  4. LordBob5

LordBob5 Master Chief

agreed.
    thought this update was directed at this problem.. seems not. I hope thats the patch coming in the next few days. ;)

5. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Phantasmal Quasar

I really, really hope that one of these issues is looking into the many complaints about the hunger system and the frustration new players often have starting out on their first planet, especially with how Unique Monsters
    outnumber the procedurally-generated monsters and how many of those drop Living Root instead of meat. (The least devs could do is provide new players with more than 4 cans of food! That disappears fast. Or maybe a few seeds? Or allow wild plants to regrow their fruit?)

Take a look at the Survival Hunger Meter thread or other discussions for an idea of what I'm talking about. That, or consider the popularity of the various hunger removal, hunger rebalance, rot removal, rot rebalance, creature rebalance, farming rebalance, automatic irrigation, and automatic farming mods.

FrAndromeda likes this.
  6. Proydoha

Proydoha Phantasmal Quasar

I've been playing a little from the 1.0 release and I have nothing major to report. Optimization is really noticable for me. Game loads super fast and now I can walk around outpost even when I'm not on x4 zoom.

Previously game were freezing from time to time but 1.0.2 solved it and I've played for a few hours yesterday without any interruptions.

Since I was playing with my friend on his server I had some troubles with opening shops in my universe. Turns out they open when I replay story missions. Not obvious but kinda reasonable. I have to experience all the things once and if I'll ever create new character everything will be unlocked for me.

It seems like I'm the only one here enjoying non stackable food. Oh, well... At first I was buying canned food from the outpost. It's 200 pixels per can. There were something magical about this process. Then I've planted lots of potatoes and became #1 Terramart mashed potatoes supplier. And never had any hunger problems ever again.

Never thought that generated quests will be so fun to do. Even if it's exactly the same few scenarios again and again. My favourite variation was about one glitch sending barell of waste to the other one as a gift. And he loved it!

Somtimes though quest npc's spawn inside blocks. And landmarks for the quests are always same 3 or 4 nearest locations even if my planet has much more pregenerated surface microdungeons. I've placed flags there and now I feel like a cheater : )

On starter planet I've accidentally buried myself under huge amount of sand and almost suffocated to death. I have no Idea how salves solved my breathing problem for so long but I've managed to get out from there alive. That was cool and refreshing. Now I have breathing EPP and not afraid of suffocation anymore again : /

Now I'm on third boss. Looking forward to see everything else.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    Ainzoal, Tamorr and Ludovic like this.
  7. Rose756

Rose756 Guest

Glad to see things are being fixed and addressed. I hope the fullscreen bug with the black flickering is addressed soon, the game is unplayable for me in fullscreen. 1.0 also feels slower for me on my machine and I have a pretty good pc that can run a lot of modern games without too much difficulty, so Starbound shouldn't be so much of an issue.

Thanks guys!

Lord Sinclair likes this.
  8. Tyler Tenebrae

Tyler Tenebrae Pangalactic Porcupine

I thought I'm dumb and completely suck at excavations... Until I've noticed that most of them offer absolutely no extra moves, and if they are uncovered on the last move... They fail anyway. 17/17 Incomplete.

9. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

I have had absolutely no problems with food, hunger, and rotting. The wild plants don't need to regrow fruit (which they do) and pretty easily fill your food tab, and can fill your food bar very quickly with just a campfire. Seriously, just carry some stacks of rice. When you're hungry, slap down a campfire and cook it up. (Though some of the later tier foods provide some seriously epic buffs.)

10. Squeegeeie

Squeegeeie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

After getting this patch, I am able to play without any notice slowdowns now. Thank you CF for the work, I'm very much enjoying the game.

Ainzoal likes this.
  11. ApexCollective

ApexCollective Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Everything is working fine for me, but there is something that bugs me about 1.0, and it's that I expected that by now my human character would have the option of manufacturing advanced ranged weapons. I like the melee in this game, but I prefer ranged combat in any game, and for some reason my space-faring, 3D printing human character who is capable of making a machine that allows him to breath where there is no atmosphere and makes him immune to gamma radiation amongst other items, is at the same time not capable of constructing even the most primitive matchlock firearm, never mind the pulse rifles that starbound humans are famous for. This is despite the fact that the much less advanced Novakids are able to make assault rifles from single iron bars. It would be cool if all species could make guns as well as melee weapons. There is a really cool simple mod that allows all the species to build the Novakid guns, so it isn't difficult to implement. And it would also be nice to allow us to use core fragments as fuel. But hey other than that, I'm having a lot of fun, 1.0 is awesome!

12. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

We'll, you could just craft up ranged items in the accelerator table. Most weapons you find are much better than what's crafted by novakid at the same tier.

13. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

There is one case where they don't break: If the rail is going upwards. The reason why it happens otherwise is because the powered rail stop - just like a nomal rail - does not stop the platform, and so it falls of the tracks. A platform that falls to the ground breaks. The same thing happens when you don't use any special rail at the end of the track, which is important for rollercoaster-like creations.

14. Calm Yuuki

Calm Yuuki Void-Bound Voyager

Thx!

15. hypersapien

hypersapien Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you for your hard work, Chucklefish. Me and my friends have really been enjoying the game =)

Jonesy likes this.
  16. bonberjean

bonberjean Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A small suggestion, add a check box in the mods menu to ask if I want it enabled or not, because I have a slow connection and a lot of mods, and if a mod sundenlly start crashing the game when I hit start game, I won't have to go to each mod page to disable/enable it to see if X mod is the one crashing my game

ApexCollective and Proydoha like this.
  17. Marcus101RR

Marcus101RR Void-Bound Voyager

I didn't have any Memory Leak issues on my system, wondering if this was a specific OS issue?

System Specs
    Windows 7 64-Bit Home Edition
    AMD FX-8350 8-Core 4.0 Ghz
    NVidia GTX 960 4GB Graphic Card
    16 GB RAM

18. thogrinn

thogrinn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The same here, and my rig is pretty old :)

Windows 10 64-bit Pro
    Pentium E5200 2-Core 3.0Ghz
    AMD R7 250 1Go
    8Go Ram

And the game run smooth, with FPS lock at 30 (im my flat, the temp' is very high), and usually 60+ :)

19. Kaiax

Kaiax Aquatic Astronaut

Wait,you can lock fps?

20. Ruuzdahfrost

Ruuzdahfrost Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, so does anybody know if the U.S.C.M. bunkers will be making a return any time soon? I wouldn't want them to be removed completely.
    Some people were also talking about the Protectorate "replacing" the U.S.C.M.
    Anybody know anything?