1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Perennial Crops 1.7 for Starbound 1.0+

Avoid the annoying chore of replanting your crops, keeping the annoying chore of watering them!

1. Toyi85
    Perennial Crops

Original Description

When I started my galactic journey, I used to feel great joy with every new type of seeds I found and the new meals I could cook.

But after some time, while focusing in the adventure part of the game and feeling a little dissappointed with the changes in hunger and survival, I started to see the menial tasks of harvesting and replanting my new crops with displeasure, and at the end I started ignoring those kind of plants altogether and only ripping fruits and vegetables from the ones that didn't need to be sow over and over... And so Perennial Crops was born.

What does it do?

This little mod makes that every base crop of the game (wild and planted) behave like tomato, grape, banana and coffee plants; so once you harvest them, they will revert to the first growth stage, avoiding having to replant them.

It also changes the wild plants so they can regrow without irrigation, but removes the 100% chance of seed drop from the non-perennial plants, so you will need to break some of them first to get enough seeds to start your farming operation.

It's a small trade off between "realism" and convenience.

Installation

Download the pak file and place it inside the starbound mods folder
    (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\mods by default)

Steam Workshop

This mod is also available in Steam Workshop

Contact

To report a bug or make a comment about the mod, your best option is clicking in the Discussion Tab above and leaving a message!

Other recommended mods

Plantable Flowers by Toyi85 (shameless autopromotion!)
    Craftable Seeds by NeoVanAlemania
    Compact Crops by Mackinz
    Gardenbot by LoPhatKao
    Harvester Beamgun Redux by Wellbott

And if you play the massive and amazing Frackin'Universe by sayter, you may be interested in Perennial Crops/Frackin' Universe Compatibility Patch as well!

---------------------------------
    Jul 25th, 2016 Update

Finally had some extra hours to sink in the game and test a change to the wild plants suggested by Silent Strider. Now all the wild plants remain perennial as always and don't need irrigation to regrow, so you can harvest them indefinitely*.

*Note: you will want to break at least a few of them to start your farming operation, the seed drop rate is really low .

As always, if you find a bug let me know!

Jul 23th, 2016 Update

Starbound 1.0 is out after around 4 years of development!
    And Perennial Crops is still here to save you the menial task of replanting your fruits and vegetables (it seems that there are lots of new menial task to sink your time on...). For those who prefer the simplicity of Steam Workshop, the mod is now also there. Let's see what shall the tomorrow bring us!

If you find a bug, let me know!

Aug 26th, 2015 Update

I haven't had time to play Starbound in a long time (April?), but with the new stable release, I just wanted to be sure this little mod was still working and being relevant.
    And it does!

The seeds' code seems to be the same even with the new watering system, so if you still want to sow once each seed and forget about it, you still can, but now you will have to keep them watered for the plants to grow.

As always, report any bug in the comments!

v.1.2 October 1st, 2015

Special thanks to NeoVanAlemania for fixing a potential exploit and sharing his patch file with me!
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    Anyone can use this mod in their mod compilation without the author's consent.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    Anyone can alter/redistribute the mod's assets without the author's consent.
    N31m4d, Star Paw, Lehanson and 12 others like this.

Recent Reviews

1. Marsfault
    Marsfault
    5/5,
    Version: 1.7 for Starbound 1.0+
    fantastic mod
  2. isaacsilva_321
    isaacsilva_321
    4/5,
    GOOD :)
  3. Predilecta
    Predilecta
    5/5,
    One of the most interesting and useful mods for farming.
  4. peserval
    peserval
    5/5,
    good
  5. Reyghel
    Reyghel
    5/5,
    Goodbye to the task of replanting, I also frustrated the task of replanting. I have started with the game again for a long time and this mod helps a lot in the difficulty of Survival. Thanks for making this mod, now I will have a mega farm. I hope it is compatible with the new Frackin Universe.
  6. sksig
    sksig
    5/5,
    Good fix for strange vanilla planting style. Great!
  7. Junkriid
    Junkriid
    5/5,
    Must have. Just perfect.
  8. Crusism
    Crusism
    5/5,
    Version: 1.6 Cheerful Giraffe
    My Life Will Never Be The Same Again.
  9. qualiyah
    qualiyah
    5/5,
    Works just as described, nice little convenience.
  10. MelOzone
    MelOzone
    5/5,
    Farmin' as it has to be from the beginning.
    Now you can avoid farming by gathering wild crops (which grow back) and hunting. But farming still makes obtaining food more efficient and economically worthwhile.