1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Penguin Piracy (SUSPENDED DEVELOPMENT) V11.2.1

Pirates! Plunderers! Penguins! This mod adds penguin affiliated content, and much more!

1. PenguinPiracyMod V8 - The Tigershark Update

ManicRykker
    Hey guys! It's been a few weeks.. think it's time for an update!

This one does a lot of rebalancing, tweaks, and a few additions too. So here's the changelog

V8 CHANGELOG

ADDITIONS

- New decorative objects

Pool Table
    Dart Board
    Penguin Keg (A small storage container that holds 6 items.)

They are crafted at the Penguin Trade Station

- As of this update, the old jukeboxes are being retired. They will no longer be obtainable.

Instead, I will be utilizing a singular jukebox (That I'll call the Penguin Beakbox), that can play multiple tracks. This new object uses a script created by the user Storm_UK (You can find the original mod, "Multi-Track Jukebox", on the Chucklefish Forums.) Storm_UK will be added to the credits list. Though I changed the jukebox sprites a bit, and put in most of the Starbound tracks myself, they created the original object/script, so it wouldn't feel right otherwise.

The Penguin Beakbox will be crafted at the Penguin Trade Station, in the same place the old ones were.

Just for clarification, I'm not out right removing the jukeboxes the mod adds, "yet".
    I figure some players might still have them, so I don't want to cause anyone to get PGIs. That said, I do plan on removing them eventually, so I wouldn't hold on to them for too long. Lol

(Note: For some reason, the Beakbox skips track 1. I have no clue why it does this. It plays it fine on the loop around, but it REFUSES to start with it. I am sorry if anyone ends up annoyed by this, but I made numerous attempts to fix it, to no avail. This will just have to do.)

- The Penguin King now references many more modded races. (Before, he just referenced the Felin. I've wanted him to note many modded races for some time, but never got around to adding dialog for said references.) He was quite a frequent hitch hiker before he met your player character, so he's met a lot of people in his travels, looking for junk- err, goods to sell.

(Keep an eye on his dialog. Maybe he might mention one of your favorites!)

- Penguin currency is getting a massive overhaul. There will now be three coin tiers, each increasing in value.

Peng will be the smallest tier, the cheapest. They will be crafted from copper. (Yep. That pretty much means any peng you still have on you, will be downgraded. sorry. :rofl:)

Engu, will be the second tier. This will be crafted from silver.

Guin will be the third and highest tier. This will be crafted from gold.

Various stations and recipes in the mod will require this currency system, and they will become available as the player progresses.

Penguin currencies will also be able to be exchanged for one another at the Omnishop, as they had been before.

You might ask: What becomes of the dubloons? Well, those will still exist. They'll just be a separate currency type. A technical fourth. Their appearance will be tweaked to help you tell them apart from Guin coins. The Black Market console, Penguin Employment Station, and penguin mercenaries will require these coins.

As of this update, how they are obtained will be different. Rather than obtaining from the beakeasy bartender, you will instead craft dubloons by hand after the second penguin king mission. They are made of a guin coin, and four diamonds.

To compensate, the penguin bartender will sell diamonds, and guin (albeit at a higher price)

- In order to try to tackle the issue of some instruments not being held properly by penguins, I've set up a sort of workaround:

Offending instruments will have cloned versions of themselves with tweaked offsets to better fit in penguin flippers (some may still look a little off, but it's the best I can do with how penguin flippers work.)

These will be an exclusive, emptyhanded craftable for penguinoid players. You'll craft them from the humanoid versions of the instruments.

TWEAKS

- The way penguin stats are handled has been overhauled. Some stuff has been tweaked:

Penguinoids (Penguins, Masked Penguins, and Puffins), for balancing sake, now take SIGNIFICANTLY less fall damage. Fall damage has been reduce for them by 75%, to be more precise. (For example, a small fall (one of the smallest you can take), rather than dealing 12 damage, will only deal 3.

While penguins will still take fall damage, and will definitely go splat if you try to jump from too high of a height, you should now not be completely obliterated by a small fall.

The mouthposition has (finally) been tweaked for the penguin.

This means you should no longer suffocate in those small tunnels. Mod lore has been tweaked accordingly

- Fixed a mirroring issue with the "Penguins Only" Poster.

- Bumped the first phase of a certain boss down a few levels.

- The Penguin Archives are now a default codex for PPM penguin races.

- In addition to the orbis ship pet, penguins now have another possible pet they can get. Compared to Orbis, the chances of getting it will be a bit lower, as there aren't as many possible color combinations for this "alternate ship pet"

Those that have played the beta may recognize the little guy from a certain dungeon... I don't want to spoil what it is. So you'll just have to wait until one gets generated for you. (It can also spawn from the penguin's pet panel object)

(For technical info, I made it a completely new sprite sheet, complete with a few alternate colors.)

I really hope you like it!

- The way the Penguin Weapon Roulette handles it's random weapons has been tweaked. Instead of buying a weapon straight up, you buy a "mystery cube" instead. These mystery cubes function just like a reward bag, and will give you a weapon of their specified type. The price for weapons has also been bumped from 1000 pixels, to 5000 pixels.

Like before, there is still a chance you could end up with a perfectly generic item instead of a weapon! It's called a roulette for a reason!

This all means that the previews in the station itself won't be changing constantly, and it will look more presentable in general!

- The Penguin King, instead of straight up selling a copy of the Weapon Roulette, now sells a mystery cube I like to call the AoN. All or Nothing. This cube could give you a random weapon of any type.. but it also has a high chance of giving you a perfectly generic item instead!

- The price for one piece of Organius fuel has been decreased from 15 pixels, to 5 pixels.

- The Bartender, in addition to the reward bag, now gives two guin, which will be the new thing you will need to turn in to the penguin king to finish his second quest.

In addition, he will also sell guin at a premium. So if you somehow manage to lose the two guin he gives you, and can't finish the penguin king's quest, you can get a couple there.

- Penguin Mercenaries no longer carry their weapons on them constantly. They will now only pull out their weapon when they first engage an enemy. (They won't put it away until you return to your ship though.)

This means in safe areas, where they haven't been aggro'd by monsters, they won't be carrying around those massive guns. (This change also applies to penguin fighter crewmembers hired through the beacons)

(Pre-existing penguin mercenaries and beacon-hired penguin fighters should still function as intended. The change will only go into effect for newly generated ones)

- The bobbing of flippers while carrying a weapon while walking or running has been negated. I have also fixed said bobbing for penguin npcs (FINALLY)

- Normal Ground Friction for penguinoids increased a bit. Save for bounciness, you should be able to stick a landing better now. (Though you still slide a bit on uneven surfaces. Don't be reckless!)

- The Black Market Console now sells it's stuff for dubloons, rather than diamonds.

- The Penguin Employment Station now sells the beacons for dubloons, rather than peng

- Recipes changed across the board, to accommodate the new penguin currency system

- The protection from some of the crystals in the Worthless Crystal upgrade path have been nerfed. They now protect only 15% of damage. The final tier protects from 25%.

OTHER NOTES

- In other news, as of this update, a new mod should be present (It will be pushed as a separate mod to the workshop, as the others are): PPM-HumanoidTweaks.

This mod's purpose is an attempt to rectify an issue with penguin players not being rendered properly for other users using the mod in multiplayer. It's sole purpose is FOR MULTIPLAYER. If you don't play multiplayer, or don't plan on playing as a penguin in multiplayer with other players using PenguinPiracyMod stuff, you can ignore this mod.

This mod has two purposes:

- For potential penguinoid player only servers (With the PPM in use)
    - For players planning on doing penguin co-op

If you are playing as another race in multiplayer, you will likely not render correctly to other players. There isn't much I can do about this. The only reason this mod exists, is because it seems multiplayer renders other players (No matter the species) with the universal humanoid.config (potentially ignoring custom humanoid.configs altogether)

As for npcs and the like, which use the appropriate configs? This mod includes patches for the vanilla races, as well as attempted patches for some noteworthy racemods. (If you experience modded npc races not rendering properly while using this mod, PLEASE let me know. If it's something that already has a patch, it might be named differently on the species.file. If it doesn't have one, a patch file's simple to create. I just need to know the exact name of the race's name (case-sensitive.)
Return to update list...