1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Penguin Piracy (SUSPENDED DEVELOPMENT) V11.2.1

Pirates! Plunderers! Penguins! This mod adds penguin affiliated content, and much more!

1. PenguinPiracy V10 - The Emperor Penguin Update

ManicRykker
    Hey guys! Been awhile huh? The update I've been working on is finally ready!

V10 CHANGELOG

NOTICE

Chucklefish added some new penguin stuff in 1.3. I wanted to bring this up, incase anyone mistakes new penguin vanilla content for stuff added by Penguin Piracy. They've added penguin ship encounters, changes to the Shockhopper quest, some hats for mercenaries, and probably a couple other things I'm thinking of.

I take NO credit for them. I wanted to mention this stuff to avoid confusion.

ADDITIONS

- Support for Starbound 1.3 (Obviously)

- The Penguin Archives have recieved a face lift: The system can now be accessed in a visual database, disguised as a game console (called the Penguinox 630. Not to be confused with the Penguinox 32)

This system is much more advanced, using a pirated version of the software Beautiful Attempt runs on. Lore is accessed here in catagories. When a catagory is selected, lore is presented textbox to textbox, until the end is reached, at which point it will return you to the catagory selection.

The system saves your place, so you can either pick up lore where you left of, or "start a new game", and reboot the database.

That said, the codex form of the lore is being cut. This new system makes it easier to add new lore, and easier for you to navigate through said lore.

This object can be purchased from the Penguin King.

- Mod name adjustment. Rather than PenguinPiracyMod, I'm just going to be calling it PenguinPiracy. This change will be applied across the board, and will affect the names of other resources.

- Penguin players are getting a bit of assistance at the start of the game:

From now on, when you boot up your ship's SAIL, a penguin crewmember (Sent by the higher-ups that assigned your mission) will show up and offer to join your crew. This penguin functions like a mercenary, but has dialog specific to them.

Their beret, name, and weapon they get to assist you with is random. Whether you keep them as a companion, or ditch them for later crew is completely up to you. (Be warned: When you dismiss this crewmember, you won't be able to get them back!)

- COMPLETE PENGUIN ATTRIBUTE OVERHAUL

NOID CHANGES
    -Slope sliding is gone.
    -Run speed decreased a bit

STAT CHANGES
    -Base health increased from 30 to 50
    -Max breath increased
    -Energy stat changed. Now gives 50 bonus energy instead of decreasing it for those insane energy increases from armor.
    -Power stat changed. Now gives a flat 50% bonus to the penguin's power.
    -Standard penguins no long have resistances/immunities to ice. They still have immunity to cold biomes though.
    -Manic Penguins no longer have resistances/immunities to fire. They still have immunity to hot biomes though. (Sorry for the change. Made this change to reflect the change made to Standard penguins)
    -Masked Penguins (Which are no longer being supported with this update due to new changes mentioned further below) have been tweaked to accomodate the new stats. They will still be officially removed at a later date, but for now I want them to function correctly, so players that have characters of those can still use them for now. (I do encourage you to make new ones under the new system at some point!)

ARMOR CHANGES
    -Penguin armor now gives full bonuses per piece.
    The head augment gives the energy increase
    The chest augment gives the health increase
    The main penguin gear gives an increase to power and defense.

This set up is different than before, which just hooked all stats to one singular piece.
    Now, even if races that aren't a penguinoid cheat in penguin armor, substituting armor pieces for other pieces will actually affect their overall stats.

- New penguin types

PLAGUIN
    "Poison? What poison? I don't feel poisoned."

The plaguin is a penguin species resistant to the poison element.

PYROGUIN
    "Do I feel a breeze? Cause that fire isn't going to do a thing to me!"

The pyroguin is a penguin species resistant to the fire element.

CRYOGUIN
    "Frostbite? Not in my dictionary."

The cryoguin is a penguin species resistant to the ice element.

PENGVOLT
    "Electricity? Can't feel a thing."

The pengvolt is a penguin species resistant to the electric element.

VANILLA PENGUIN

This penguin always has the vanilla penguin color scheme. It also lacks the non-cosmetic penguin attributes, for players that wish to have a more "vanilla" experience.

ALBINO PENGUIN

Being all white isn't this penguin species' only problem. Unlike the earthly albinoism, these guys have more prominent negative attributes. This makes it much more difficult for them to survive than your average penguin.

- As you may have noticed, penguins are pretty much identical, especially when compared to other races. In the mod, they also share things like the crouch sounds, namegens, and they don't really have gender specific gear.

Well, I am making several changes to how "gender" is handled for the penguin.

- The hurt sounds for male and female penguins have been combined into one hurt sound. (The originals will still be there, if you want to mod the old separate ones back in)

- The symbols on the character creation menu have been changed

Basically, gender for penguins is going to be something I'm leaving up to the player. If you want your penguin to be a dude? Great. A chick? Fine too. If you want them to be a dude that's undercover with a female name? (since other races can't really tell them apart.. :rofl:)
    That's also fine. :rofl:

To really push this forward, the two gender slots will house two separate penguins now. Normal Penguins will be in the left slot... and Masked Penguins will be taking the right!

That's right. Masked penguins are being merged with normal penguins. It peels off one separate race for me to be keeping track of, and it allows penguin npcs to just pull from either. (Pretty much 50/50) To boot it also technically makes them a "vanilla race" (Since penguins are present in the vanilla player config. They just aren't playable.)

What does this mean for existing standalone masked penguins?

Well, I do plan on phasing out masked penguin stuff present in the mod.. but I won't be doing that any time soon. For the next few updates, I will keep that stuff in the game files. All this means, is I will stop personally distributing the masked penguin addon with the mod files.

- New objects: Penguin doors. These are doors that have a height of 3 tiles. Races two or three tiles tall (like the penguins) can pass through them, but humanoids will find the door too small for them to fit!

New doors added: Small Penguin Ship Door, Small Wooden Door, Small Iron Door, Small Tungsten Door, Small Titanium Door, and Small Durasteel Door

(Note: NPCs will still try to open these doors unfortunately. They can't pass through them, but they can open them...

They will also still play with them if they're a crewmember. I tried negating this behaviour, but had no luck. Sorry about that..)

- Chucklefish added a handful of new wearables for penguin mercenaries. Naturally, I just have to make these obtainable for you guys! (Note: There are a couple of look-alikes now because of this. There's a duplicate viking helmet, and soldier helmet. For the former, I'm still debating on what to do my item, but I'll leave it in for now since they're animated a "little" differently. For the latter, I'm making the soldier helmet added by my mod colorable! If you want a non-colored version, you'll be able to grab the vanilla version.)

This stuff will be added to character creation, added to the point for penguin npcs, and be sold by Gourmand.

TWEAKS

- Overhauled npcs that wear penguin wearables. They can now spawn with wearables that use the different color options.

- Made some adjustments to the Penguin Telepoint object. The object now has rooting, so the blocks underneath it aren't breakable until it is removed. (This means the blocks can't be broken underneath it, insta-breaking the Telepoint.)

It also has platform collision now instead of solid, so you can pass in front of it without moving on top of it automatically. (You can jump on the top of the pad like a platform!

If you place it on top of platforms, it will act as a solid object again, but you can still pass through it like a platform.)

- Penguin Tenants can now pull from the new Vanilla Penguin type, to make the type a bit more useful. This means you'll have a higher chance to see penguin tenants with the vanilla color scheme!

- Penguin attributes are now hooked to the player config by the penguin race addon mods. I have decided to do this, to reduce the number of scripts running on the player at all times. (Especially if I ever add more penguin subraces in the future...)

- CrouchSound for penguins has been tweaked to occur far less often. You'll now play the silence file much more often than the chatter sounds (To make it less annoying, for those that could find it repetitive)

- The penguin armors, in addition to appearing in the various anvils, will now also appear in the Penguin Trade Station.

- The item that unlocks the omnishop has been changed

- Several objects that play a sound effect have had the range of their sound effect reduced significantly, to try to prevent annoying overlap. Lol

- Slashed the prices of items sold by Gwen at the Penguin Infirmary. She still sells them for quite a profit, but they're now a bit cheaper than before. (I'm not lowering the prices by too much, as she's still portable, which would make the service kinda cheap.)

- Tweaked my shockhopper sprite edit to better match the new penguin scientist (named "Akaggy")

- The reward you get at the end of the Penguin King questline has changed. (By name only)
    Lore referencing this has been tweaked accordingly

- Penguin guards (Both generals and soldiers) will now only become soldier crewmembers when they are ready to join your crew. They also have randomized weapons like the penguin mercenaries!

BUGFIX

- I'm on a roll with the bugs all of a sudden. Forgot to include the patch for penguin mercenaries that directs them to the file they're supposed to use in my mod, rather than the vanilla file... whoops.

- Fixed a bug where you could suffocate if you sleep at the teleporter before your ship comes on line for too long.. :rofl:

OTHER

- HumanoidTweaks has been updated to add a handful of some other modded races. These modded races should now render correctly for singleplayer characters (You. Multiplayer still uses the universal file, so that issue will still affect humanoids while HumanoidTweaks is active) and npcs of modded races that didn't have patches in the mod, but got some in this update.

Since this is a rather large update, PLEASE let me know if you run into anything peculiar.
    jonathonspy likes this.
Return to update list...