1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdated [Outdated] Persistent Containers 1.02

Make all vanilla containers keep their contents when broken.

1. Vaeux
    This mod is now outdated, and will not be receiving updates!

Overview
    [​IMG]
    Persistent Containers are containers which keep their contents. Normally, when you break a container with items inside of it, you'll get an empty container, and everything inside of it will drop to the floor. Persistent Containers do not drop their items, but instead drop a special "filled" container that does not stack with "empty" ones; once placed, this container will contain the same items it did when you broke it.

Although I've done a reasonable amount of testing, I can't guarantee this mod won't cause problems, especially if you use other mods, so you may want to have backups, just in case. If you run into any issues, please post them in the discussion thread.

Usage

Once installed, all vanilla containers will automatically keep their contents when broken. This means you can easily pick up and move full containers from one place to another, and quickly recover from natural (meteorites) and unnatural (bonehammer) disasters. It also means you can carry around containers to effectively expand your inventory - see Balance below.

Breaking a container that contains a container with contents, however, will cause the contained container to pop out separately, to prevent potentially infinite container recursion.

Be advised that if the mod is removed while you have containers with contents in your inventory, those containers will not have their contents when placed. If you place such a container, you can re-install the mod and it will attempt to re-generate its contents (if you put other items in before re-installing, you may need to remove some and wait several seconds for the old contents to generate, or you can break the container to make them drop). If you break such a container before re-installing the mod, its contents will be lost forever, so try to avoid doing that.

Balance

This mod isn't "balanced", and you can use it to significantly increase your effective inventory size. Due to the limitations of what is possible through modding, balancing it without crippling its usability or changing its purpose is not feasible. Please do not post suggestions about how to balance this mod. If you have a problem with this mod's balance, do not use it.

Installation/Uninstallation

To install or update, extract the included .modpak files into Starbound's mods folder. If you have any old versions installed, you must delete them, or the game will fail to start.

To uninstall, delete the Persistent Containers modpaks. Uninstalling will have no effect on empty container items, and should have no effect on placed containers, though they will no longer persist their contents when broken. You should avoid having any filled container items when uninstalling - see Usage above for more details.

Inclusion/Usage in Other Mods

Depending on how you want to use this mod, you don't need my permission, so long as you comply with these requirements:
    • To Include: You may include this mod with other mods or mod packs, but the folders must be included whole, with no changes. Persistent Containers for Vanilla does not need to be included if you intend to persist non-vanilla containers. You should probably also include a link to this page.
    • To Use: Persistent Containers may be used to make the containers in your mod or other mods persistent; to see how to do so, look at the Lua files in Persistent Containers for instructions, and look at Persistent Containers for Vanilla for an example of how to merge persistence as a separate mod. This will require unpacking the .pak files - if you don't know how to do this, learn (don't ask) how to.
    • To Derive: Anything in this mod can be used in development of a different mod, so long as you don't use the same item/entity/file names as I do. Note that, if you just want to include/use this mod, changing names isn't the way to do it. Crediting me for use of my code/concepts is not mandatory.
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before including this mod in a compilation.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before altering/redistributing any assets included in this mod.

Recent Updates

1. v1.02 Modpak Update
  2. v1.01 Safety Check Update

Recent Reviews

1. Pixelguru26
    Pixelguru26
    5/5,
    Version: 1.02
    To be honest, this mod isn't really unbalanced-it just makes StarBound a little more realistic. (seriously, have you ever picked up a closed box and had all the things in it quantum-tunnel through the walls?) I don't know about those among the community that are 'balance freaks', but I'm definitely a fan of this mod. great job. :)
  2. SnowHawk
    SnowHawk
    5/5,
    I love this mod, it makes your life so much easier when moving containers to new locations. Thanks for making it!
  3. Xutzl
    Xutzl
    5/5,
    Awesome mod.
    It supports only vanilla chests, but once I unpacked it and looked inside I was able to easily add modded chests. Works perfectly.
  4. pollopelado
    pollopelado
    5/5,
    Super useful. Changing your hard earning items to a new planet base now is really fast. Aside, you can pick up new chests & see what's inside later.
  5. Michelle911
    Michelle911
    5/5,
    Awesome work! TYVM! Working better than other similar mods and remembers sort order! YAY! :D
  6. CuttsAndBruises
    CuttsAndBruises
    5/5,
    This is a wonderful mod and we currently use it on our four-man server, finding no balance issue with it. A wishlist feature: the ability to right click and open containers in the inventory like bags. Incredibly useful for those moments where you don't want to run back to your ship; which usually leaves others waiting.
  7. Theyoussef123
    Theyoussef123
    5/5,
    Version: 1.00 (Enraged Koala)
    YES! I couldn't wait since you posted that link on /r/starbound. I love it!