1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

More threads - Lag reducer 1.0

Better performance on 3+ core computers

1. ElementW
    ElementW
    5/5,
    Version: 1.0
    Cool, more performance! Only effective on my 4+ core systems, as said by the description.

@SollyW it seems *you* don't get how threads work. You are conflating software and hardware threads. While a typical desktop system runs thousands of _software_ threads, your CPU can basically only run as much as its core count at the same time. Look up and learn about OS kernel operation theory & CPU scheduling; the more software threads you have, the more overhead they take as context switching takes time, plus cache invalidation doesn't help. For unrelated processes it's less of a problem but within a single +/- real-time process like a game this overhead is absolutely not welcome and can be felt and benchmarked. The "16 parts" your CPU has it actually the pipeline stages, and while they're here for performance, it doesn't mean they can be used to do everything; in fact they're very specific and can only do a single part of any given CPU operation at a given time. Things like hyperthreading just take advantage of the fact some instructions do not require all those pipeline stages and interleaves the instruction flow of two virtual cores into a single physical one. If that's what "no modern operating system will run without" you are outright wrong as all of NT (Windows), Mach (macOS), Linux, and the more common BSD kernels *will* run without it, and the userland that runs on top of them doesn't care.
    In addition, there is both a theoretical and design limit as to how much you can multithread things in a game.
    Contrary to what you said: this mod will provide a perf boost if you have 4+ physical cores, may provide one if you have 4+ virtual (hyperthread) cores, and will not for less cores.
  2. SollyW
    SollyW
    3/5,
    This is not how threads work. The number of cores has nothing to do with the performance, many devices have as many as 1500 threads running at once. This mod will help you regardless of the number of cores you have, and the 8* one would be even better. This is a common mistake, and one upon a time this was partially true, except that most cores actually have 16 parts, meaning that a duel-core CPU could actually run 16 threads. However, Intel developed technology allowing you to use theoretically infinite threads and still get a performance boost a few decades ago that is now essential for any computer, and no modern operating system will run without it. Now, you could run 32* and still get a significant speed boost. I advise you to edit the description of both mods to reflect this. To anyone else:
    THIS MOD WILL HELP YOU NO MATTER HOW MANY CORES YOU HAVE!
  3. KILLERHUN12
    KILLERHUN12
    5/5,
    After adding the mod my game's chunks finally load like a dream. Amazing mod.
  4. ratkintheoverestimated
    ratkintheoverestimated
    5/5,
    I run a core i7. After adding this mod to an already heavily modded setup, there is a significant difference in performance. There is less lag while teleporting, unlocking new recipes etc. I haven't experienced any chunk loading lag either. Good stuff.
  5. ChronoHyperion
    ChronoHyperion
    4/5,
    Aw, I only have a dual-core processor. But I know this mod has potential, is just that I only have a Corei3 that's all so I couldn't use this can I? If so, can you please create a mod like this for dual core processors please and if not, its okay.
    1. DraikNova
      Author's Response
      This mod wouldn't help you. Sadly, a version for dual core processors is also not possible. The optimal setting for dual-core processors is 2 threads, which is the default, vanilla setting. Running Starbound with more threads would just slow it down further. Basically, Starbound is optimized more for dual-core processors already, and this just allows people with more cores to adjust the setting so they get the benefits of such optimization too.
  6. Multistream
    Multistream
    5/5,
    For me it made vehicles from xc mech less laggy