1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdated MiniGuns 1.3

Big guns with a high rate of fire!

1. intrepid-explorer
    MiniGuns 1.3
    a Starbound Mod for Glad Giraffe, by intrepid-explorer
    [​IMG]
    Summary: This mod provides big guns with a very high rate of fire.

These weapons are modeled after the real-life minigun: The M134 (aka GAU-2, GAU-17, Mk44, etc) minigun is a 7.62x51 mm NATO, six-barrel machine gun with a powered rotary feed that provides a high rate of fire. It features Gatling-style rotating barrels powered by an electric motor. It is made from steel and more recent models include titanium to cut the weight to 41 pounds or 19 KG, excluding ammunition. Multiple barrels allow for a high firing rate because the firing/extraction/loading processes take place in all barrels simultaneously -- as one barrel fires, two others are in different stages of shell extraction and another three are being loaded. The minigun is composed of multiple closed-bolt rifle barrels arranged in a circular housing. The minigun is typically tuned to 3200 rounds per minute to avoid overheating and optimize hit potential.
    [​IMG]
    This mod's minigun is a large 2-handed ranged weapon that fires 20 times a second which adds up to a lot of damage and a lot of energy cost. The barrel length makes it ineffective at melee range. The projectiles have tracers to light up your line of fire. Fire in short bursts to avoid energy exhaustion.

There are tiered variants with different materials, appearance, power, and effects, with about 20% more DPS than the tiered Novakid rifles and correspondingly higher energy cost. Better armor improves these numbers. Higher tier models require fuel materials, have increased damage, and most of them inflict status effects or area damage. The materials used to make the guns influence each model's appearance.

Weapon_____Power_Projectile/damage__Ingredients
    Tier 2: Metalwork Station
    MiniGun_______1____tracer bullet______6 copper, 24 steel, 12 gunpowder
    [​IMG]
    Tier 3: Robotic Crafting Table
    NapalmCannon_2___fire bombs_______6 silver, 24 titanium, 12 oil, 12 copper
    BurstCannon___2___explosive bullet___6 silver, 24 titanium, 12 gunpowder, 12 copper
    ToxicCannon___2___poison bullet______6 silver, 24 titanium, 12 poison, 12 glass block
    [​IMG]
    Tier 5: Accelerator's Table
    LaserCannon__3____laser__________6 plutonium, 6 durasteel, 18 rubium, 6 diamonds
    PlasmaCannon_3___plasma________6 plutonium, 6 durasteel, 18 aegisalt, 6 diamonds
    ViolentCannon_3____electric explosion_6 plutonium, 6 durasteel, 18 violium, 6 diamonds
    [​IMG]
    Tier 6: Accelerator's Table
    StormCannon_4___electric_________6 gold, 6 durasteel, 18 cerulium, 12 diamonds
    SunCannon___4___explosion_______6 gold, 6 durasteel, 18 impervium, 12 diamonds
    MoonCannon__4__bouncing plasma__6 gold, 6 durasteel, 18 ferozium, 12 diamonds
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Build time (excluding play-testing): 1 hour artwork, 1 hour selecting vanilla assets, 2 hours to get a working MiniGun, 4 hours of tweaking to get the other guns working right. Version 1.1 update took 3 hours. Update 1.2 took 2 hours. Update 1.3 took 3 hours to find the changes to GG (different for each gun) that was causing the crash.

Known issues (help is welcome):
    1. The high rate of fire puts a load on the computer. If you are on a low-end machine that tends to lag wit explosions and such, I recommend the MiniGun, Laser Cannon, Plasma Cannon, and Storm Cannon whose visual effects are less spectacular.
    2. Descriptions aren't showing, which is sad because I put some thought into them. But the vanilla game has the same problem with ranged weapons.

Future updates if I can figure out how (help is welcome):
    1. Whatever you suggest that is possible and makes sense.

Credits:
    1. Ghoul159's tutorial http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/mod-tutorial-3-how-to-make-your-own-gun-outdated.42937/ is outdated, but provided enough info to get the base working weapon
    2. SexualRhinocerous' tutorial http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/how-to-successfully-pack-and-unpack-pak-files.66649/ to get the vanilla files, to dissect how the different weapons work and reuse many assets
    3. Luminaesthesia's mod http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/your-starbound-crew.948/ for showing me how to add a recipe at load time -- and it's a great mod.
    4. Chucklefish for making the game! I reused vanilla assets for projectiles, most of the sounds, and muzzle flash, because there was plenty of variety available. I had to rename them and put them in the mod folder for them to work properly, and that is best for compatibility anyway. Otherwise, the mod would have been a much smaller download. If CF doesn't like it, they'll tell me...and maybe tell me how to use the vanilla assets without duplication.
    5. Feedback from players like you.

Reuse Permissions:
    This mod may not be reproduced publicly or edited without my prior permission, except editing for private use. The artwork for the guns is mine, but the rest are vanilla assets for which I cannot grant reuse.
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before including this mod in a compilation.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before altering/redistributing any assets included in this mod.
    Redacted Revenant likes this.

Recent Reviews

1. TheCreeperCyborg
    TheCreeperCyborg
    2/5,
    Version: 1.3
    its nice that you provided that information strait from google and everything but the graphics are below so-so and the powers are just not good, i'd help if youe want, but either way this is just poorly made.
    1. intrepid-explorer
      Author's Response
      I was going to dismiss your comment as trolling, as it lacks detail and seems to confuse Google for the Internet. But I am not one to make uninformed conclusions or take rash action. I checked your profile and you claim to be working on a mod, so you surely must realize this game purposely uses a 20-year-old style of graphics. So to make any changes or accept help, I'd first need to have an actual problem statement.

I've been a graphic artist hobbyist for 30 fricken years, okay? In 1986 if you wanted a pixel, you wrote a line of code. In 1987 I got Windows 1.0 with Paint (black and white were the only colors), so a simple drawing took a minute not an hour. In 1990 I wrote my own 3D drawing program...trigonometic equations are a royal pain to code. Since the invention of alpha channels, spectral maps, and normal maps, I have made models and textures for Oblivion and Skyrim, plus that and video for the Thief series and Vegastrike-based games. I'm no expert, but I do understand this game's graphics limits, and time-honored game-creation traditions such as palette swap.

I previously explained the trade-off between time, damage, and energy, and my personal experience firing a gatling-style cannon in real life. I once knew a guy who mounted a minigun on his tank, but that's a longer story.
  2. TBOSACR
    TBOSACR
    5/5,
    It costs 480 energy to fire this weapon...
    For 12 seconds
  3. GeekMan
    GeekMan
    4/5,
    So this mod is for "GG" ????
    1. intrepid-explorer
      Author's Response
      Version 1.3 is for GG and the 'combat update.' The update description so states but since you asked, I will put it in the overview too.
  4. B. Arty
    B. Arty
    5/5,
    Version: 1.2
    ahh, the bigger the better. more dakka
  5. LUXGAMES
    LUXGAMES
    4/5,
    very good mot BUT the ViolentCannon crashes my game when i use it :(
    1. intrepid-explorer
      Author's Response
      This is fixed and an update is posted! GG made a lot of changes, so the 1.3 hotfix was just enough to get them working again. More updates to come when I have time.
  6. Bloody_Kain
    Bloody_Kain
    5/5,
    Use it with my Alicorn. Looks damn good. xD
  7. Toamac
    Toamac
    5/5,
    Version: 1.1
    WHO TOUCH MY GUN
  8. Dullahan2
    Dullahan2
    3/5,
    Version: 1.0
    It was nice for the first few tiers, but even with endgame armor, I couldn't fire the endgame miniguns for more than half a second.
    1. intrepid-explorer
      Author's Response
      Thanks for the feedback and rating. I never fired a minigun, but I once got to fire its big brother, the Vulcan. The 50-round belt they gave me was gone before the empty shells hit the ground.

Starbound uses a renewable energy system instead of limited ammo. With starter (cloth) armor and the base minigun, I beat the desert World Boss with care and good tactics, but got killed a few times by regular monsters on the starting world when I wasn't careful. With steel armor, I was tearing up regular monsters on a Moderate world. So the fast energy drain was a design decision to offset the gun's otherwise-awesome power.

There are only two variables (AFAIK) I can change -- power and rate of fire. If the need to budget your energy is degrading the fun, I will experiment with reducing the rate of fire (it's already half of the real-life one). There is a sweet spot somewhere that we can find.