1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Large Monster Special Attacks are Back 2016-07-18

adds special attacks back to large bipeds, quadrupeds and flyers. No more boring charge-only mobs.

1. mindoverminis
    **This mod was incorporated/rolled into Frackin' Universe mod. So if you'd like to have it updated/current/working make sure to subscribe to FU!

As of 1.0 this works on it's own by dropping it into the mods folder however. Will probably conflict or cause craziness in the spawns with any other mod that messes with spawntypes.

Be careful with the increased spawns
    as they can be very resource hungry and slow down your system when too much gets on screen at once, causing world chunks to load slowly. Hence, I've not put this up on workshop as it would require some fair amount of time to fine tune the spawn rates so as not to give people headaches with slowdowns.**

Mod description:

I got tired of seeing every randomly spawned procedural monster just charge and pounce, or swoop out of the sky so I added back their ability to have special attacks. Fireball, poison clouds, electric shocks etc...

This mod affects the large bipeds, large quadrupeds, and large flying type procedural generation monsters. I've left the others alone as it's actually fitting that the smaller guys only charge and pounce.

I've given 2 special attacks to each of the modded mobs to choose from randomly when they are generated from the pool of special attacks. However, I've left in the charge and pounce as attacks that can be chosen randomly so there is a small chance you will see a large monster that can only charge and pounce still. Because the game "chose" those two randomly from the pool.

(I increased the size of these large types to be a bit bigger in game too, which I think is fun but you can turn that off by going into the respective monstertype file and editing the scale line to be: "scale" : 1.0,

I've made this as a separate mod called special attacks. I've included a difficulty mod by request that incorporates this change along with my spawn rate adjustments that makes monsters spawn more frequently and in larger groups. About 3x more monsters on average.

The two choices of folders to put in your mods folder are named "Special Attacks only" and "Special attacks and more mobs." Choose one to use in your mods folder, not both. Just drag one or the other folder to your Starbound unstable- mods folder and play. Don't need a new game or anything but you *may* need to travel to a new planet to generate new monsters if you're on a planet at first, or you may not.

I'll update this mod if things change but I'm probably not interested in trouble shooting this, it works fine on my game and my tester friend and I've sorted through any bugs I ran into and haven't had any problems, so you shouldn't unless this mod conflicts with any other you are using.
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    Anyone can use this mod in their mod compilation without the author's consent.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    Anyone can alter/redistribute the mod's assets without the author's consent.
    Alessondria and Augusonic like this.

Recent Reviews

1. Akre
    Akre
    5/5,
    Version: 2016-07-18
    I can't thank you enough for this mod. It's amazing! Adds so much variety and challenge to the game.
  2. jj200275
    jj200275
    5/5,
    Version: 2016-07-18
    Does what it says it does, and combat is a lot more exciting and risky now!