1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdated Ambient Lighting v1.0c - ENRAGED KOALA

Darker lights and shadows for those that prefer the night.

1. Sabboth
    Sabboth's Ambient Lighting Mod
    Version 1.0c - Enraged Koala

Have you ever wanted Starbound to look a little darker, have pitch black caves where torches don't cut it, have flashlights that are absolutely necessary, and if there are no lights in a windowless room, the sun doesn't illuminate your whole house straight through the walls? Yes? Shut up, I'm calling the shots here.

Well then this mod is for you!

[​IMG]
    When Starbound was announced and images of the game were slowly revealed, I was totally hyped for the lighting system. One of the first things I ever wanted to do when things like the director mode were announced was to make a haunted house in the night where you have to rely on your flashlight and you might not know what lurks in the shadows. But then the game was released and somehow the sun could shine through walls lighting up buildings with no windows, and flashlights could penetrate doors from 40 feet away as if they were made of cellophane.

So with this very simple and tiny mod, I aimed to make the game a little more ambient, and glowy things appear more glowy. This will probably never see any updates other than updating the version compatibility, but I hope this helps a select few that fall into the same niche.

Some things to take note of:

• Lights from objects that create "ambient light" (Ex. torches, street lamps, lanterns) have shorter ranges and do not penetrate walls or the ground.
    • Lights from objects that create "point light" (Ex. flashlights, spotlights, etc.) have the same range and intensity as vanilla Starbound, but are unable to penetrate walls, doors, or floors anymore.
    • This mod will make searching caves and finding ore much harder! Prospecting and taking time to mine will become more prominent as you now can't see ore underneath the ground save for the immediate surface.

So in the end, I guess you can say that this mod also makes the game harder. Have fun!
    Please don't hesitate to leave me any thoughts on the mod.

If you want to check out my other mod, the Argonian Race Mod, please give it a download and leave a review!

And thanks for stopping by!
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    Anyone can use this mod in their mod compilation without the author's consent.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    Anyone can alter/redistribute the mod's assets without the author's consent.

Recent Updates

1. Enraged Koala update
  2. FURIOUS KOALA Update

Recent Reviews

1. Kiari
    Kiari
    5/5,
    Version: v1.0c - ENRAGED KOALA
    Surprised to see this still works on UG, 5/5 mod
  2. snurfli
    snurfli
    5/5,
    Need an update so much, this mod is a must have ! (because light CANNOT go through obstacles, period !)
  3. SSpanzer
    SSpanzer
    5/5,
    Fantastic job! Makes the game a lot better
  4. Cipherstar
    Cipherstar
    5/5,
    Dramatically improves the feel of the game.
  5. AlaniserBro
    AlaniserBro
    5/5,
    This mod should belong in the official game.

Quick question, is this multiplayer compatible?
  6. Lannahtreeve
    Lannahtreeve
    5/5,
    I like it dark.
  7. SmoothGuy
    SmoothGuy
    5/5,
    Cannot rate lower, this is exact thing i needed in the starbound

Amazing
  8. greenRAM
    greenRAM
    4/5,
    Looks pretty good. I tried it out, but it wasn't really dark enough for me though. Currently, I'm using lowglow from the nexus and shadow-casting lights and that combination seems to be just right for what I like. This seems like a good middle ground though for those that don't like it to be a complete nightmare though. If you ever make a nightmare version of this for masochists like me I'd probably give it the full five stars. XD
  9. Musical_Mayhem
    Musical_Mayhem
    5/5,
    Perfect mod, works just fine and everything looks cool and nice! Thanks for the mod!
  10. CyborgDragon
    CyborgDragon
    4/5,
    Version: v1.0b - FURIOUS KOALA
    A huge game-changing mod. In my opinion, for the better, aside from the dimmer omnidirectional lights, which can be fixed with a simple edit. It can cause some to lose FPS, however that can be fixed by editing the mod and reducing the number of spreadPasses from 8 to 3 (the vanilla default). All this does is change the shadow smoothing, in my experience, and it reduces the FPS drop.