1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Altered Turrets: currently outdated 1.1

I have altered the turrets... pray I do not alter them further.

1. bk3k
    I suppose I should point out on the front page that this mod is currently DEAD and should not be used. Starbound changed the turrets themselves and the LUA script they use. So currently this mod only breaks the turrets.

I will revive this mod later. Probably I'm going to cease modifying the vanilla turrets and just offer some cloned/modified turrets. I do have some neat ideas to play with, but I'm currently occupied on making another mod. That mod is taking most my attention. So for now this mod is dead. Just remove it for now. Your turrets should function normally then.

1. Turrets now drop a turret item when you break them (like most everything else in the game), rather than stupid parts you get in vanilla. I find that fairly annoying to need to build new each time I want to move them, so I changed it.

I know some of you may be thinking "what if I break it with a gun inside?" What happens is a turret item and your gun both drop to the ground. You loose nothing.

2. Turrets once targeted NPCs (aside from your tenants)... no longer. They still target monsters, so you can use them to defend villagers against monsters if you choose. And if your modded NPCs where once targeted, they no longer should be.

Yes this mod does affect some vanilla assets - namely the turrets.
    Yes this will affect turrets you currently have in your inventory, or have already placed.
    No you don't need a new character... unless you just want an excuse to start a new character.
    Yes you should backup your character and worlds anyhow - because you should ALWAYS do so before trying any new mods.

In the future I plan to take this further.

1. I intend to make the turrets retain the guns inside of them so they are instantly ready to go upon placement. This is similar to what several mods do with regards to containers, but has additional utility with regards to turrets. I am pretty sure I can do this.

2. There are a few different (yet sadly all outdated) mods that have means of energy production, storage, and transmission. The turrets now just have a certain amount of energy(depending on the quality of the gun inside), but I'd like to have them optionally draw upon a battery or wire from as to utilize the energy of such sources instead. The gun would be able to keep firing continuously(until the targets are all neutralized) provided you can keep providing the generators with fuel, or have sunlight(in the case of solar power).

This obviously isn't happening soon. I'd need to either wait for someone to update such a mod, or create a new mod of this sort. Short of waiting and hoping on someone else, I would need to update one myself. That might be my best bet, but probably won't be easy.

3. Improvements to turret behavior. Possibly different versions with different behavior, because why not? Not everyone may prefer what I prefer. Choices are good.

4. I also have some other less ambitious yet still potentially useful ideas, but I'll keep them to myself until I am sure they are viable.
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    Anyone can use this mod in their mod compilation without the author's consent.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    Anyone can alter/redistribute the mod's assets without the author's consent.
    Guilmonex likes this.

Recent Updates

1. Altered Turrets 1.1