Comments on Profile Post by Double-Negative

1. Aegonian
    Aegonian
    It can't be opened, unfortunately. I did look into that option, but it would cause issues with collision and movement outside the ship. I might revisit the idea sometime though - it would be really cool if you could actually float around your ship!
    Jul 12, 2015
  2. Double-Negative
    Double-Negative
    Actualy, what may work is adding an asteroid field around the ship. You will also require a specific tech to be able to go out there. Just some ideas. Also, thanks for the answer!
    Jul 12, 2015
  3. Mikelgard
    Mikelgard
    I was actually thinking something similar about that. Adding said asteroid field would work, yes, but it might be better to do a teleporter aesthetically changed to look like a hangar bay door (*cough* see avali ship for reference) and have the world it go to be similar to the gates, so regardless of where you are, it's always the same.
    Jul 23, 2015
  4. Mikelgard
    Mikelgard
    Such 'world' would either have the ship as the background, the field as the background, space as the background, etc. I personally think that you could do it similarly to the overall theme Starbound already used, and make it more of a platformed area on the outside of the ship to use the ship as the background, then have asteroids and such around it.
    Jul 23, 2015
  5. Mikelgard
    Mikelgard
    There's a few paths lore could take to justify carrying around a small asteroid cluster if this is something you are interested in doing! (Sorry for the long post.) TL;DR - Hit me up if this is something you wanna do, I've been doing concepting work for years. ;D
    Jul 23, 2015
  6. Aegonian
    Aegonian
    That does sound very interesting! Making the hangar door a teleporter might solve an issue I foresaw with adding an asteroid field around the ship (namely that everyone would have to reset their ship world). Having the ship in the background of this 'static' asteroid world would be really cool and probably not too hard to do, although it might not be able to reflect ship upgrades...
    Jul 24, 2015
  7. Aegonian
    Aegonian
    Lore-wise, I'm not yet sure how to justify carrying around asteroids as Avikan spacetravel is a subject I've already largely planned out, but I'm sure there'll be a way to justify it (it'll probably involve the player's ship being one in a series of experimental ships or something). Do tell me if you have any good suggestions for this!
    Jul 24, 2015
  8. Mikelgard
    Mikelgard
    Well, my Skype is the same as this username, hit me up and let's talk storycraft! I really can't refine my general concepts without knowing the ideas you already have in place. ^u^
    Jul 24, 2015
  9. Double-Negative
    Double-Negative
    I don' t think that you will need to make a new area just for the airlock. Lemme tell you dis: If you fly high enough (on a planet) you will get to some kind of asteroid field (that might be due to fracking universe but i' m just sayng). So instead of making a whole entire area just for that, you could instead just telepor there.
    Jul 26, 2015
  10. Double-Negative
    Double-Negative
    (Grammer misteaks)
    Jul 26, 2015
  11. Daleborn
    Daleborn
    No, the asteroids are normal.
    Apr 26, 2016