1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Notice Your Feedback on a preorder

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

Hi guys,

So we're considering launching a preorder through playstarbound.com and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Progress on Starbound is actually really good. We're still working on putting up the development roadmap (sorry this is taking a while, it's a spare time thing whilst I work on Starbound). The roadmap will be up before we launch any kind of preorder to give you a good idea of where we're at and what's left to do.

So, why a preorder?

Omni and Bartwe are working a second job whilst working on Starbound to keep food on their table and that keeps them from working full time on Starbound. With a successful preorder they would be able to dedicate their full time to the game and get it out faster. It would also ensure that no one from the rest of the team will need to take a second job before the beta is done.

How would the preorder work?

The way we go about the preorder is very dependent on your feedback, but the plans right now are..

- Preordering would get you access to the beta *when the beta is ready*, the only time line for that is "2013", but you'll be able to track progress on the roadmap. We'll make it super clear when you preorder that there is no guarantee when the beta will be available other than some time within 2013.
    - Preordering will be cheaper than buying the game after it comes out of beta
    - Preordering through playstarbound.com will get you a steam key when the game hits steam (likely at beta), as well as a direct download.
    - The potential for paying more for extras is there (think kickstarter tiers), but none of these extras would be in game items/content. We're committed to making sure you get the *whole* game for a basic purchase. So it'd likely be soundtrack/artbook/name a star style rewards.
    - There are lots of payment services we could make use of, BMT micro, humble store, digital delivery or something else. Which would you prefer?
    - Preordering will get you the linux, mac and windows versions of the game.

So what do you think guys, does this sound viable to you?
    If we do tiers, what kind of rewards would you like to see?
    Is the 2013 timeframe too large? Or is opening preorders a good thing if it allows us to get the beta out faster?

Zansetu, Tom Baker, Gazghol and 424 others like this.
  2. Arkendi

Arkendi Void-Bound Voyager

Yeh, sounds like a pretty awesome thing to me!

Ravager, suckapunch, Maw and 5 others like this.
  3. Supman

Supman Subatomic Cosmonaut

I like

Aidoboy, Irrelephant, druid and 3 others like this.
  4. IReallyHateYouPeople

IReallyHateYouPeople Pangalactic Porcupine

Sounds fantastic, I'll preorder.

DarkZydra, salamando, Maw and 5 others like this.
  5. Darkwater

Darkwater Void-Bound Voyager

Do want!

Hartsies, AIex and DatSquirtle like this.
  6. Patchumz

Patchumz Pangalactic Porcupine

I love the idea. And personally, I have no clue what tiers I'd like... I'm not very creative like that :p. But I've seen it before, and getting funding from preorders to speed up the process of development has worked out beautifully. I'd help in a heartbeat.

Oh, and if you can manage it, I personally love the Humble Store, and they support the best kinds of devs. So that would be my optimal service.

7. BurningMercury

BurningMercury Title Not Found

opening preorders if it allows you guys to actually work on it full time is a great idea, any kind of beta access is a bonus but id be happy to throw my cash at you and wait for the finished article :)

Hartsies, CJx101, Weegeemang and 7 others like this.
  8. Phantomheart2290

Phantomheart2290 Title Not Found

Sounds good, my only concerns are 1. the second its released the site will crash hard and 2. You guys getting lost under the piles of cash.

9. Gyro

Gyro Void-Bound Voyager

I, personally, would like a preorder. I would also like to get in on soundtrack/artbook/name a star style rewards :D

AJC0MICS, zeroghost, Eze and 3 others like this.
  10. Ingwaz

Ingwaz Big Damn Hero

i've said it to others and i'll say it here, I would be more than happy to preorder the game, possibly multiple times (get it for friends), and I would be even happier knowing it allows the team to keep food on the table.

I see it as a coming together of the community and the dev team. please do it.

11. Woodland

Woodland Big Damn Hero

This honestly sounds like a very viable idea, and I love the idea of giving out something more aesthetic, rather than something that gives people an edge, to the beta players, making it more fair all around.

However, I find the 2013 timeframe rather vague and big for when things will be out, but if one is unable to get a more accurate time, then that is perfectly a-okay. Allowing preorders is indeed, a very good thing, I think, because of how this helps build excitement and the sort.

12. Deviouststr

Deviouststr Aquatic Astronaut

I would definately preorder as a further opportunity to help the starbound and chucklefish staff! :)

Dawgenstien and AIex like this.
  13. hidodey

hidodey Aquatic Astronaut

This needs to happen, and paypal support would be nice

14. adamalmy

adamalmy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If there's Steam keys, then yes!
    Especially if preorders help you guys ship a little faster >.<

15. OshiiTenma

OshiiTenma Void-Bound Voyager

A preorder sounds awesome and the ideal of there being tiers is great, although right now i dont have any reward ideas

16. soudescolado

soudescolado Void-Bound Voyager

I approve the tier system, since it does not alter the game content, like more fuel, exclusive races or whatever.

Packs should be avaliable, like 2-packs and 4-packs of starbound.

2013 is kinda a rough date, I know games takes time to get developed, but its kind of a mood killer.

How about the release of something for the pre-order, like monsterbox.exe. Useless, but funny.

WhiteMousse, Xetor, CV514 and 2 others like this.
  17. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

I don't think there's a reason to make the basic pre-order less than what the game will cost.

18. hardband

hardband Intergalactic Tourist

Totally would pre-order. The time frame honestly doesn't bother me and I think it would generally be good for everyone involved (people who would have bought it anyway and the developers). Personally i'd like it to be distributed through HumbleStore, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.

19. Deathwolf

Deathwolf Void-Bound Voyager

Sounds awesome

20. SmoothGuy

SmoothGuy Phantasmal Quasar

Completely briliant,pre-ordering when avaiable! :giggle:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.