1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

"*You Are Starbound* - Story Game Series" --- When Death Looms (4th story released)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Keeper, Apr 21, 2013.

?

What would you like to see in future YAS productions?

1. More action scenes

30.9%
  2. Romance

38.1%
  3. More violence/gore/carnage

21.6%
  4. A skill-system that requires an online dice roller + the recording of information

22.7%
  5. More freedom/mobility

52.6%
  6. Other (Please, state below)

5.2%
  1. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Romance? Why not! :love:

Other than that, I'd like to see possible improvements to freedom and mobility. I quite liked being able to examine certain areas, details and bodies before progressing. More use of inventory items would be pretty good as well.

Keeper and shardival like this.
  2. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Also moar SS battles.

3. Keeper, I just got an another idea. Instead of having to say "If you have the sword and want to fight, go here", you can just have two options.
    One to fight, and one to hide. Then it's the player's responsibility to remember if they have the weapon or the skills (if you implement those) to fight.

Keeper and shardival like this.
  4. I honestly quite enjoy that aspect too. I believe it passes on good vibes similar to those that great RPGs can pass on ^^ Nevertheless, I've received some feedback that such moments can come across as a bit boring, so I'll try to keep them interesting. :p
    This is indeed a good suggestion. The problem is that since we're not relying on the registration of information, this aspect is quite limited. Having to rely on memory only means that we cannot have that many items and without that many functions. Still, with the upcoming class system, I'm considering each class already having its own weapons, so that would be one less item (or items) to keep track off. Nevertheless, this is just my idea at the moment, which means that it can change. :p

--

Would you mind elaborating on this? :)

--

:up: Excellent concept!

AstroBlast likes this.
  5. A short news update:

Shardival and I have already started working on the third story. It is indeed going to be a Floran-themed adventure. ^^ The classes have been set and the plot's already developing quite well. :up:

I can confirm more action scenes, though it's still necessary to reach better areas/moments for more freedom/mobility.

We're also aiming for more illustrations than last time, if Shardival can be bothered. :p

All in all, I believe it's going well. The universe/plot is having a bit more detail than last adventures, which I trust makes the whole thing more compelling.

harnackam, AstroBlast and Mianso like this.
  6. shardival

shardival Pangalactic Porcupine

I may say, main story concept is almost done. I'm drawing concept arts already. If Keeper don't have anything against it, I may add here some concept arts in near future :)

Keeper likes this.
  7. shardival

As promised, picture for you guys!

[​IMG]

8. Needless to say, fantastic work, Shardival! I've got the perfect moment lined up for this image. n_n

9. harnackam

harnackam Ketchup Robot

Is there going to be a new one soon?

10. I'm not sure if it will be soon, but we've been definitely working on it. :) Was just yesterday Shardival and I were talking about one of his recent drawings for the third adventure. It might take a while, as there's also a decent amount of the story to write down, but it hasn't been forgotten. :)

11. harnackam

harnackam Ketchup Robot

All right then, thanks.

12. Congratulations on the feature in the Starbound Chronicle, shardival! :) (I just saw it now ><)

After a break of sorts, we're back into action and production of our third adventure continues. ^^

chaserwars likes this.
  13. Show

Show Phantasmal Quasar

This is pretty amazing...you guys put some real effort into all this!

Looking forward to diving into it all more soon : )

Keeper likes this.
  14. chaserwars

chaserwars Master Chief

Wow, this is awesome! Great job. I look forward to future project's. :DD

Keeper likes this.
  15. shardival

Thanks Keeper! I found about this in the middle of month :p I was so happy! :D

Yup, we are getting back to YAS3 again :) Maybe Keeper will allow me to post some picture here soon :p

16. joshmusic95

joshmusic95 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The more freedom/mobility + action the better!

good job btw

17. Exkaiser

Exkaiser Big Damn Hero

Would you consider updating these into Twine stories? I think they'd be a lot easier to read that way.

EDIT: I'm working on Twine-ifying the first one right now. I'll post it when I'm done.

RE-EDIT: Alright, all finished! This was a bit heftier than I expected. This should be much easier on the reader. I've uploaded it to this post, but alternatively, here's a Mediafire upload. Alternatively, here's an unzipped version that you can open straight from Mediafire (hit download, then open in your browser), but it's slow. The Twine file is an HTML page- simply open it in your browser of choice and read away! If anyone would like to host it on their site so no one has to download it, that would be great.

I've left all of the body text as it is originally, but I've added code to deal with inventory items automatically (no more "If you have the Ceremonial Dagger, then go to X... Else go to Y." Now it'll just show the appropriate actions for your items). Because of this, my version is one page shorter, as page 70 is a redundant page with no text. It's still included in the code for completeness, but it just skips past it when you play.

If you run into any issues, please tell me! I should have covered all the code issues, but there miiiight be something I've missed, like the jetpack pages that show up before you get the jetpack.

I'd like to help with future installments. Having a code base to automate some things will allow expansion of character/inventory systems- perhaps even allowing a game where you can pick the race or skills of your protagonist. At the very least, it makes it very easy to keep track of inventory!

Cheers!

Attached Files:

AstroBlast, shardival and Keeper like this.
  18. Greetings, Exkaiser. Thanks a bunch for your feedback and effort! That's pretty cool. ^^

I've actually been made aware of Twine recently by Shardival and we will definitely be taking a look at it for the production of a possible fourth adventure. :p I think it's indeed a quite nice way to display these works and gives the creators some more freedom to work around with it, like the player's inventory automatically keeping track of items.

However, the story we are currently working on (the third adventure) is being conceived similarly to the previous two. Since it is being produced taking into consideration our typical spoiler-tags layout, I believe it will work out better that way, so I will not be transfering it into Twine. In other words, since our third story is not being built with Twine in mind, I do not wish to edit so many things (it has plenty of information already) in order to make it fit better into Twine. And I honestly believe it's pretty functionable the way it is. :p

Nevertheless, I am quite interested in using Twine for a fourth YAS and will be examining it closer when we get there. It looks really promising.

I do have a few questions about Twine, though, information I have not uncovered during a quick search:

- Is it possible to have pictures in Twine? Shardival does a pretty fantastic work and I would not like to sacrifice his art regardless of the purpose.
    - The inventory may keep track of things, but is it somehow possible to have an inventory window of sorts listing the items you have collected? So the player may still see what he has or not.
    - Is Twine so much code dependent? Unfortunately, I haven't used it yet as I was planning on learning more about the program for a possible fourth production.

Once again, thanks a bunch for your words. :alien:

shardival likes this.
  19. Exkaiser

Exkaiser Big Damn Hero

I'll hit 'em in order:

-Yes! Twine supports HTML coding, so you can host the images somewhere else and link to them as needed in the story. Unfortunately, you can't embed the images directly into the Twine file, but I don't think that's too much of an issue.
    -Yes, you can make a separate inventory window. I was considering making one for this story towards the end, but since there's only four items I didn't really see the need. There's a special tag in Twine that lets you add a menu option to the side, and this could be used to display inventory, as well as character description if need be.
    -No, it's very light on the code. This was my first real use of the program, actually. Code-wise, I only used simple booleans and if/else tags (and formatting, to highlight certain things). A story without items could be done without any special coding. Very user friendly!

Because I'm selfish, I might go ahead and convert the Apex story and the Floran story (when you guys finish it) into Twine format just for my own reading, if that's alright with you. The Apex one is about twice as long as this first one, but now that I have a good idea of how to run through the story with Twine, I think I could churn it out at a good tempo.

Anyways, good luck on your next story! Eagerly awaiting it.

20. Ladies and gents, I'm very happy to announce that the third YAS has just been released. You may find it right here. :) I remind you that our most recent feature will make its first appearance here, namely our class system.

As always, we are open to feedback and hope you enjoy it. We've busted our asses over this one in comparison to the previous two, so we hope it is to your liking. ^^