1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Will the early beta include a server runtime?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ursadorable, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ursadorable

Ursadorable Void-Bound Voyager

Dear Devs,

Title pretty much says it all. I'm asking if when the stage 1 beta begins, if the standalone server runtime will be available to run my own server.

Thank you.

2. Alluvian_Est-Endrati

Alluvian_Est-Endrati Existential Complex

I would hope so, otherwise testing multiplayer will be rather difficult unless the client can handle it natively.

IsharaComix likes this.
  3. PhoenixR

PhoenixR Big Damn Hero

From what we have seen, multiplayer seems to work.
    I couldn't see why they wouldn't let us test multiplayer.
    If it's anything like Minecraft SMP, it's going to have even more bugs than the SP version.

EDIT: Although I have slightly more confidence in the Starbound team than in Mojang when it comes to MP

4. Tyrindor

Tyrindor Space Kumquat

Pretty sure the client handles it natively when your just wanting to play with a few friends (They open game for MP, you go to join game and type in their IP, etc). For 24/7 servers or servers that don't require anyone to be playing, my guess is that software won't be included. It would have to be updated every single time the game updates, which is going to be more than once a day.

I don't think they've came out and said yet, so this is obviously speculation. Don't expect to be hosting servers, just expect to be able to connect directly to other people's games.

5. Foliumsakura

Foliumsakura Void-Bound Voyager

I hope so, while in there videos we can see more than one person in one world at a time (take the building video for example) I'm sure it will also help clear out bugs as well if they let us do MP as well

6. HedgeFlanders

HedgeFlanders Big Damn Hero

I really hope so. I'll be hosting my own Starbound server ASAP and I want there to be TONS of people playing on it.

7. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

whenever i hear ASAP, i think of that one annoying co op mission in bf3.
    "THIS IS 2-1, WE NEED FIRE SUPPORT ASAP!"

IceKing and HedgeFlanders like this.
  8. Raybrandt

Raybrandt Jackpot!

I would expect a server runtime to be included very early, if not immediately, as multiplayer is something that will require some MAJOR testing, due to the nature of it. Plus, multiplayer bug squashing is fun.

9. darkparadise

darkparadise Big Damn Hero

As i understand it, Even single player is run on a server on your own machine.

10. Regal Kain

Regal Kain Space Kumquat

I certainly hope the server, or a multiplayer mode is available early, otherwise I'm going to find it very hard to play this game for all that long, I don't have much of an attention span for single-player games I've afraid, so here's to hoping.

11. demanrisu

demanrisu The Original Agaran Menace NPC

Yes.

or, at least, it should do

12. ForceablePlace

ForceablePlace Phantasmal Quasar

Your thinking of the Old days, now its the opposite, theres more Bugs in Single Player :) they fixed pretty much every bug that MP had, and eventually new bugswill come, but they will get fixed, i have the same confidence In BOTH teams.....

13. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

Is it that hard to natively run a server? Hell, my previous 32-bit laptop with literally no graphics card can do so on Terraria, and I would assume requirements are similar for Starbound...

14. plaYer2k

plaYer2k Pangalactic Porcupine

Yes the starbound beta will include a dedicated server so you can host games youself.

2013-10-28 19:40:25< Mek_> Hello, can anyone tell me if the beta for starbound will include multiplayer ?
    2013-10-28 19:40:38<@Tiy> yes it will include multiplayer

2013-10-30 13:47:54< Prismaa> Im happy if multiplayer is on stage 1.
    2013-10-30 13:48:03<@Tiy> multiplayer is going to be there from the start
    2013-10-30 13:48:21< Kinsmir> Tiy: will the dedicated servers be there at the start ?
    2013-10-30 13:48:28<@Tiy> yes

Ursadorable and WackyWocky like this.
  15. Xyvecius

Xyvecius Phantasmal Quasar

Straight 1 shot answer, Yes.

16. Calris

Calris Existential Complex

Graphics card isn't important for server tasks. Server is more dependent on CPU and network speed.

17. I guess the question has been answered already so I'm going to close the thread now.

demanrisu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.