1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Will no longer be posting my mods on here (as if anyone cares)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by witless, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. witless

witless Poptop Tamer

Short story: I don't like the new policy, nor the community it will end up fostering. I've seen the Elder Scrolls modding community melt down over shit like this. You give them an inch, they'll take over the continent.

I don't care about whether people take my mod and modify it. Given the quantity of miniature tweaks I make and plan to release not only do I not want to be assed to state that I give everyone permission to modify or reimplement my mod for their own, I don't want people to have to worry whether fuckcock222's gameplay additions are "tainted" with modifications to it due to making it work better with other weapon packs such as the Wurmheart Ammo Overhaul mod or my randomized weapon rebalance mod.

When Steam Community Workshop is enabled, I will be posting my mods there, as they have an actual sane policy and take account of of the fact that the company owns derivative works.

BRAWW MODERATOR WARNING

Please keep the discussion on topic, civil and try not to personally bash anyone even if you disagree with them. It's an interesting topic, so please feel free to share your thoughts on it freely (while still being civil, obviously). This goes out to all of you and is my only warning in this thread.

Thanks guys. :iswydt:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2014
    Aeon, beeftime, Auraknight and 11 others like this.
  2. Desideratus

Desideratus Certified Good Modder

Agreed. When I also plan to move to Workshop the moment it's up, though I'm gonna leave my mods up for now.

3. Kestenvarn

Kestenvarn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

4. SweFox

SweFox Guest

Whats the policy?

Kitten Pryde likes this.
  5. BitHorizon

BitHorizon Ketchup Robot

Erm... What new policy are you talking about?

6. Kestenvarn

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    Kitten Pryde and ReverendBonobo like this.
  7. BitHorizon

BitHorizon Ketchup Robot

Well I don't really see a problem here. If you don't want your mod redistributed, just check the box that says not to and offenders will be punished.

8. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

What's the big deal?

9. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

I don't even see it as a big problem, someone has your mod w/no permission or didn't put you in credits? WRITE IT UP :wut:

Kitten Pryde likes this.
  10. Kestenvarn

I'd suggest rereading the OP, you have missed its point entirely.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    Kitten Pryde likes this.
  11. Elate

Elate Spaceman Spiff

I think people are upset because they can't use anyone's mod in their pack or alter others work?

So unless I'm missing something, they're getting upset that not all mod authors will essentially make their work open source, and that they think it will impact the modding community. Which seems somewhat ridiculous since I've seen plenty of budding modding communities (Like the Elder Scrolls) and I for one would like to have control over how my own work is distributed, and since Chucklefish are also giving the option so that users don't need to seek permission if the mod creator wishes it, but hey ho, you can't please everyone.

12. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

People have their own opinions.
    minecraft has the same policy with modpacks, yet it doesn't have a button
    but in the mods description,
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...-fires-by-blowing-into-your-microphone-forge/
    it has 'dos and dont's'
    if people want to protect their mod, allow them, because im pretty sure it's not your problem.
    and i'm pretty sure modifying a mod alilttle than republishing it is horrid
    Same with repubblishing the whole thing! That's what the devs are trying to stop! whats your problem with that?
    You can just modify it with the creators consent! If he's restricting it, he doesn't need help. and if you want to modify it, why not just ask the creator instead of raging on this forum .-.
    Why do you need permission to someone elses work? It's pretty damn hard to make a mod, and for someone to just...
    :wut:

13. BitHorizon

BitHorizon Ketchup Robot

Well if that's the case, then I agree. It's entirely up to the creator of the mod to choose whether or not people are allowed to use that mod in their works. I, for one, would not post mods here if everyone could redestribute my mods without my consent.

14. Wriggle

Wriggle Void-Bound Voyager

Just for the record (and don't treat this as a comment on anything else in that post), the default behavior for the radio buttons is exactly that; free to redistribute and free for modification.

Kitten Pryde, Annuschka and BlastRed like this.
  15. Kestenvarn

16. ahappydude

ahappydude Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks blastred, you wrote what i also was thinking!
    It doesnt take many minutes to simply ask the author, or write in their discussions thread if you want to know how he did things etc. And the thing someone wrote that all modders have a big ego and so on is bs in my eyes. Maybe some think higher of themselves but thats certainly not me , nor is it why i started modding games back in hl days.

I been a member of the nexus network which i really like, steam workshop has its advantages to =)

17. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I don't see what is wrong with asking permission to use other peoples work.
    Only people who complain are those who like using other peoples work, and can't be bothered to ask permission to do so.

Kitten Pryde, NFossil and Annuschka like this.
  18. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

I left my house , it's not on sale, would you take it? No.

If you really want to, just take and edit the mod. with no permission. i highly suggest you don't do that, but if hes not there anymore, or EVER. Do what you want. Because he won't be like, "HEY WTF ARE YOU DOING WITH MY MOD?"

I left my house forever, i forgot to put it on sale, would you take it? Hell, why not?

Squaff, Kitten Pryde, Mansen and 2 others like this.
  19. RedScarWolf

RedScarWolf Spaceman Spiff

So basically people here don't want to have to actually talk to other mod authors before just taking someone else's work and changing it. Yeah, that totally makes a great modding community...

20. Elate

Elate Spaceman Spiff

Sorry but that entire page reads like a "Why I should be able to steal someones work" essay. Modding can be a joint effort yes, that's why you get modding teams that work together, rather than lifting someones work and altering it then releasing it under your own name (possibly without credit, as was the problem), the latter is not a joint effort, it's hijacking work by someone else. For example taking someones sprites and using them in your mod, rather than asking them if they want to team up, or asking a spriter to make them if you can't. If someone abandons a mod completely, then remake your own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.