1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is USCM hostile?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Darrian77, Jan 30, 2014.

1. JStheguy

JStheguy Void-Bound Voyager

I'd assume the hostility is due to the circumstances of Earth getting ripped apart by a giant tentacle monster. So the USCM is probably taking a "No nonsense, no trespassing, no non-military personnel, go away or we'll make you leave in a casket" stance on entry until everything can be sorted out and humanity isn't in a state of massive galactic crisis.

Hawk Novablast likes this.
  2. SneakyBox

SneakyBox Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm guessing that some of our bases have gone rogue which could explain the shortage of shipments to our colonies *sigh* ....great this is gonna take a while to get this figured out.........

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    Hawk Novablast and McBobbish like this.
  3. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

You don't think maybe the logical thing to do would be "hey, look at all these space-faring intelligent life forms. maybe one of them knows something about combat with giant space tentacles" or perhaps "I wonder if any of those clearly technologically advanced species knows something about finding a planet with near-earth specs so I can help the last of my tired species to something we might be able to call home someday" instead of "THE WHOLE UNIVERSE IS OUT TO KILL US PANIC SHOOT THEM ALL AND HIDE IN THE HOLE"

oh wait, they're USCMs.

4. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Maybe my memory is bad, but I don't recall running into any actual USCM. Their prisoners/penal colonies, yes, but not actual USCM. I would imagine the prisoners don't really care about the last of their species.

Heartstrings likes this.
  5. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

There are also the bunkers in which you encounter real USCM units. They have no taste when it comes to the interieur.

6. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Oh yeah, forgot about those. (Honestly if you came to my planet and started rummaging through my house I wouldn't be feeling too charitable either. Just sayin' :p)

7. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

We're not assholes, we're just objectively stating everything that's wrong with you lowly cretins in a completely logical and unbiased manner.

~Lao Ren

8. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Having a view at the USCM and the Hylotl, I would prefer to live with the Hylotl than the uncultered barbarians without tea time or pasta.

FloomRide, DJFlare84 and rhomboid like this.
  9. AchmedtheTerrorist

AchmedtheTerrorist Space Hobo

I was trying to figure this one out as well Darrian77ahaha, I just walked up to the bunker and was shot on sight....

10. UltraSnaky

UltraSnaky Pangalactic Porcupine

maybe the USCM personnel went hollow

11. justinpatrick1011

justinpatrick1011 Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe the player is a former prisoner.

Bughunter likes this.
  12. FloomRide

FloomRide Cosmic Narwhal

Exactly what do these Hylotl say to you? I'd like to know.

BTW races SHOULD get unique and asymmetric powers.
    Humans are friendly to USCM
    Glitch can enter castles unharmed
    Floran can be friendly to Floran Greenguard in the prisons
    Novakid can be cool
    Apex can be boring
    Hylotl can not receive snarky comments from other Hylotl
    Avian same as above kinda

Also, each race would have a different starting weapon/craftable

Novakid - gun
    Apex - laser/bonesaw
    Floran - spear
    Avain - dagger maybe?
    Human - broadsword
    Hylotl - shortsword
    Glitch - hammer

13. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

"I... I killed them by self-defense."

But to the human eyes, being a Ningen is a subhuman to them. Hence, I'm greeted with nails and chairs banged at my head and onto my legs.

14. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

I'd say Avian - bow

15. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

But... but I like pizza D;

Anyways, we serve the United Systems of Earth (USE), but when Earth fell several military bases went rogue. I can assure you that the USCM is not out to kill you all, our primary objective is finding a new homeworld.

SneakyBox and Beatrice like this.
  16. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

You really think that you don't get a Pizza on a planet called "SAN LEONE"?! Hell, judging by name it could be an italian restaurant. :p

Also, the phrase "not out to kill you all"... makes me slightly sceptical :D

17. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

Well, there was a little war with the Florans over a solar system, and the Apex are pretty sketchy....

18. SneakyBox

May be all this talk about "big ape" could have something to do about this.......Mind Control? I can't be this isn't a sci-fi game....Wait a sec........

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  19. SneakyBox

Death to San Leone....

20. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

That's typical for your militaristic organisation, eh? Death, kill, conquer. The Sowjetunion, the Napoleonic Empire and so many other states based on the military have collapsed and vanished. What did stay from human history? Music, paintings, literature and life-style. Everyone will still remember the high culture of San Leone in centuries, like people appreciate Leonardo's last supper, even after his death. But how will the people remember the USCM? Memories like the lost battles of Napoleon?
    You can't found a new Earth on military bases! So, go on and conquer with your weapons, we repelled the USCM once, we will do it a second time. Viva San Leone, pearl of the beta-sector!